image_(resized).jpg
SOF_Upper_Black_(resized).JPG
20160118_162707_(resized).jpg
20160118_162627_(resized).jpg
20160118_160527_(resized).jpg
20160118_160735_(resized).jpg
20160118_123753_(resized).jpg
20160118_162738_(resized).jpg
There are 514 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 11.
#1 9 years ago

I plan to make custom clear and colored ramps for Swords of Fury soon. I wanted to start a thread specific to this project as I am looking for input from the group. I have recently created a clear ramp for High Speed which eliminated the ramp cover as well as both clear and dark transparent blue ramps for Space Station.

User, Nelly, was kind enough to loan me one of his SOF ramps to use for modeling my own. I will be interested in any tweaking of the current design to improve it as well, and probably more importantly, what colors would be desired. This game is unique in that it has one ramp over another.

Christopher Hutchins had provided a link to his restoration of a SOF and I was pleased to see there is nothing "ugly" under these ramps. In fact there is a good deal of lighting that will nicely illuminate transparent ramps.

http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album204/14_G

Some input I got in the New Space Station ramps thread had indicated some desires on colors for the ramp. I plan to make the upper ramp available in at least in red, clear and blue. The interesting part will be perhaps a combination of the colors in the two ramps.....Both one color.... One clear and one colored.... quite a few possibilities.

The Space Station ramp, as far as colored, was done in a dark transparent blue. Some of you have seen this first hand, but for reference I've attached a photo of the blue stock I used as well as the new dark transparent red I will use.

Nelly also provided me with some photos of the lower ramp to present....uh, so you don't have to remove your upper ramp to see it. Those are posted here as well.

I've also attached a photo of the upper ramp removed. There is a lot of "stuff" attached (riveted) to this ramp, so I expect I will offer assembly service like I did for High Speed for this one, for those that do not have a rivet press... BTW...if you are interested in building a rivet press, I will gladly show you what you need, where to source the parts and how to make one.

The SOF ramp is next up after I complete the one I'm working on forming now.

I wanted to get this post out, I guess a little early, as I am very interested in what you think for colors. For clear I use PETG...for colors I use acrylic. PETG is far more durable than acrylic but generally not available in colors...unless I order around 2,000# and that is from overseas.. Acrylic is similar in durability to the original black ABS. I can add some ramp protection to the acrylic ramps once the areas prone to damage are identified.

Plastic colors.JPGPlastic colors.JPG
Lower ramp 2.jpgLower ramp 2.jpg
SOF Ramp 1.JPGSOF Ramp 1.JPG

#2 9 years ago

This is my favorite system 11. Just my opinion you will probably need to diffuse the lighting even more if you go clear.

I was in a discussion about the game with the one of the designers who took it over and the ramps were black because the lighting underneath was not attractive with clear. It was mostly due to the bulky nature of the diverter assembly.

I think the red would be a great choice.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinthetic:

I think the red would be a great choice.

Looking at Nelly's photos, might be an option to paint the diverter black to take it out of the equation. Also agree that given the wiring, etc on the bottom of the ramp that color for the top one is almost a no brainer. Also maybe "tube" the wiring harness to clean it up. Not much I could do about the wire form ramp brackets, but might be able to cut a piece of Clear PETG to replace the long bracket that secures the ramp to the diverter.

#4 9 years ago

For me, just having a repro ramp made for the game would be great.
I'd prefer it to be original black however, no need to change up the look of the game.

#5 9 years ago

Nevet been a fan of black ramps. I think transparent or red transparent would look sweet.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Nevet been a fan of black ramps. I think transparent or red transparent would look sweet.

You don't really notice how dark they are until they are gone!

#7 9 years ago

I'd like to see how a blue one looks. My ramp has back electric tape holding it together. It's pretty beat. I'm so glad your going to be making these.

#8 9 years ago

I would be interested in both ramps. I do hope you ship to the UK when you have decided on colours. Black or deep ruby red suit me fine.
Any pictures needed to help from my end just ask...great

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from AndyBadCatsUK:

I would be interested in both ramps. I do hope you ship to the UK when you have decided on colours. Black or deep ruby red suit me fine.
Any pictures needed to help from my end just ask...great

I shipped a couple Space Station ramps to the UK a couple weeks ago that got there fine. Shipping for those was $30. Might be a little more for the SOF ramps due to a bigger package. What I do is go to the post office with a similar package and a UK address and they can quote me the postage.

#10 9 years ago

Ok thanks count me in. Looking forward to seeing your progress on this. Sof is my second game after Bad Cats.
Sof is dark and moody with killer shout outs.
It is a very exciting game to play. The soundtrack fits it like a glove.

#11 9 years ago

Did you have a picture from your colored space station ramp?

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballfan:

Did you have a picture from your colored Space Station ramp?

History of the Space Station ramp and photos in this thread...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-space-station-ramps

#13 9 years ago

You guys are in for a real treat, Marks work is beautiful in every way.

#14 9 years ago

Put me down for a set.

#15 9 years ago

Heck, I may buy a set anticipating getting the game, though I've never seen one, let alone, one for sale

#16 9 years ago

I wouldn't want clear, but blue might be nice.

#17 9 years ago

I'm in for sure (as noted in the space station thread). Transparent red is what I'll be wanting. How would the assembly service work, and what do you think the cost would be? Would we be shipping our ramps to you and using existing parts or would it be new parts? As for the wiring, individually braided cables look really nice, even just when zip tied in place. I use them all the time in my liquid cooled computers.

#18 9 years ago

I'd be interested in a set of black ramps, but not colored or clear.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I shipped a couple Space Station ramps to the UK a couple weeks ago that got there fine.

One of those came to me, very reasonable and superbly packed

#20 9 years ago

Om interested in a set as well for my machine unsure of colors atm

The bottom oger alley ramp might be cool on mirrored acrylic if would form properly without ruining it the mirror effect.

#21 9 years ago

I would say:
Deep Translucent (ruby? crimsom?) red for the magic tunnel ramp.
Smokey Translucent (a bit darker than Addams family) for the LIONMAN/Diverter ramp.
Please, not clear, and definitely not blue. SoF is not a "blue" game".

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

I'm in for sure (as noted in the Space Station thread). Transparent red is what I'll be wanting. How would the assembly service work, and what do you think the cost would be? Would we be shipping our ramps to you and using existing parts or would it be new parts? As for the wiring, individually braided cables look really nice, even just when zip tied in place. I use them all the time in my liquid cooled computers.

I did the assembly for High Speed for $20 with folks sending me the necessary parts from their playfield. Might be $25 for this one but certainly no higher. Some guys did want to send me the whole ramp to disassemble which I gladly did, but I charged an additional $5 if they wanted the original shipped back.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from MarcelG:

I would say:
Deep Translucent (ruby? crimsom?) red for the magic tunnel ramp.
Smokey Translucent (a bit darker than Addams Family) for the LIONMAN/Diverter ramp.

At least out the gate, available colors will be red, blue and clear. Generally don't do black (ABS) but probably will .

#24 9 years ago

I could def use a main ramp (the one with the diverters). What's the estimated shipped cost?

#25 9 years ago

Of all the places I expected to see it, I am surprised that this thread has remained LIONMAN-free for nearly a day.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

I could def use a main ramp (the one with the diverters). What's the estimated shipped cost?

$15....$20 Max

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I did the assembly for High Speed for $20 with folks sending me the necessary parts from their playfield. Might be $25 for this one but certainly no higher. Some guys did want to send me the whole ramp to disassemble which I gladly did, but I charged an additional $5 if they wanted the original shipped back.

Side note... If anyone is interested in assembling their own rivet press, I will gladly pass along the info to do it. All in it's probably around $100. 1/2 ton Arbor press from Harbor Freight (On sale right now for $39.99) and then a couple rivet dies for about $50 (Hanson). You would need a drill press to modify the arbor press. Rivets run around $.07-$.08. I order rivets in lots of 100 from Jay-Cee Sales.

#28 9 years ago

I would be interested in any color but would prefer ruby red.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I think that will work out good for me. If I thought I was going to have more future use for it, I would probably build my own rig for doing rivets, but I think it will probably be just this one SYS11 game for me for quite a while so the value in my own tool isn't really there.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

I think that will work out good for me. If I thought I was going to have more future use for it, I would probably build my own rig for doing rivets, but I think it will probably be just this one SYS11 game for me for quite a while so the value in my own tool isn't really there.

For you non domestic US guys, if you want me to do the assembly, would probably be best when the time comes to just ship me the necessary parts (I will detail them at some point) and then avoid shipping the old ramp back...just to save postage each way. I expect when I'm ready I will be able to turn these back in just a day or two....Usually just one day, but there is always the initial rush.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

For you non domestic US guys, if you want me to do the assembly, would probably be best when the time comes to just ship me the necessary parts (I will detail them at some point) and then avoid shipping the old ramp back...just to save postage each way. I expect when I'm ready I will be able to turn these back in just a day or two....Usually just one day, but there is always the initial rush.

Yep that should be fine. As long as the ramps are solid and hold up, I will have no reason to go back to that ugly black abs ramp

#32 9 years ago

So we are looking at like $45 we send you a ramp to be disassembled, put on the new one, and then shipped back. Not too bad. I think this will be pretty cool!

I think it depends on what color the Magic tunnel ramp is. I see that one being clear maybe to let the most light through. Then for the upper ramp......I am split on Blue or red....Probably red.

#33 9 years ago

Personally, I would prefer both ramps be translucent red.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from MarcelG:

why don't you find it a blue game?? there is a lot of blue throughout the playfield and translate, not to mention the complete cabinet. I really don't like red as a color, (personal preference) and cannot see clear working out with all the things attached so I will probably be going blue. I think it will look good

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from toasterman04:

why don't you find it a blue game?? there is a lot of blue throughout the playfield and translate, not to mention the complete cabinet. I really don't like red as a color, (personal preference) and cannot see clear working out with all the things attached so I will probably be going blue. I think it will look good

I see lots of fire colors with cool looking small blue parts. Most of the inserts are red, too.
the cabinet is gorgeous and glad the artist used that bluish color behind the catchy title.

#36 9 years ago

You know, I can't for the life of me REALLY decide why I feel it's a red game, but it is to me. I agree, blue all over this game, but It has always just struck me that it's a red game. Maybe it's the logo on the backglass being in red? Either way, any time I have had to replace something that is worn (or just because I wanted to), I have replaced with transparent red (such as flippers, flipper buttons, etc).

#37 9 years ago

Could smokey, dark gray ramps be made?

#38 9 years ago

I just went over to the space station thread and saw the blue ramps... SNAP... they look great, super excited...

And I think I agree with most people RED would look pretty deadly, but I personal don't like red at all so I will be going blue. what do you estimate the cost will be on these????

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from OTTOgd:

Could smokey, dark gray ramps be made?

Yes, any color could be an option if there is enough people interested in it. The dark smoke or tinted ramps I think would make a great replacement for those that like the dark look or don't really like the idea of giving up the black ramp.

#40 9 years ago

what do you estimate the cost will be on these

I don't really think too much about price until I have actually gone through the process...But if I had to estimate right now, I'm thinking for the upper ramp, probably $125 for the clear and $135-$140 for the colors. For the lower ramp if that is wanted, we'll try to keep that one cheap...maybe $30-$35. Clear will be PETG and the colors will be acrylic.

These estimated prices do not include the assembly if you want me to do it or the return shipping.

#41 9 years ago

As far as black ramps, I have not formed ABS before but should be no big deal...So IF I do black ones they would price the same as the clears.

#42 9 years ago

is there going to be pictures. I just think blue fits the color scheme better. But I don't know if I want to see under the diverter area. Not much to see there. But that ramp could be thicker.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

is there going to be pictures. I just think blue fits the color scheme better.

I tend to agree blue seems to fit better since there is actually not much red in the game. It's mostly blue and orange. That said, even though I want one in my game yesterday, I'll probably need to wait and see what they look like to pick a color. Space Station was easy, blue was way cooler than clear. Here, not sure which will look better.

#44 9 years ago

I played a SOF with red leds and it looked pretty sweet, if I had the game id go with red ramps.

#45 9 years ago

For myself, I'd consider a combo of black (or smokey dark gray) for the upper, and an opaque red lower ramp. I think enough of the red would show to give a nice contrast. Would love to see a few demo pics of such a combination.

Definitely count me in for the pair. Keep up the fine work. You are satisfying a great need here for the pinball community.

PM sent!

3 weeks later
#46 9 years ago

I will be wanting a pair soon too ....... how far out time wise would you say you are on having some of these ready for sale and ship ?

#47 9 years ago

I should be on these in just the next couple weeks.

#48 9 years ago

ok Great I will monitor this thread & stay in touch

#49 9 years ago

sealed the deal on a SOF today....... let me know as soon as these are available , I'm in for a set

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

sealed the deal on a SOF today....... let me know as soon as these are available , I'm in for a set

Congrats!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Des Moines, IA
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Apparel - Unisex
The GameRoom Store

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 514 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/swords-of-fury-custom-ramps and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.