(Topic ID: 209326)

SWLE - Drains from clean shots. Is this how it's meant to be???

By Sprudeldudel

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Nevus
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

So, I have been owning a SWLE for about 4 months now. After playing it a lot I have to admit that the money on it was not well spent because of the way this machine is punishing clean shots with direct drains. And yes, it IS perfectly levelled and at a pitch of 6.5.

Examples of messed up shots:
Left Orbit - A clean fast shot will go SDTM, if lucky with a minor touch to the tip of the left flipper.
3 Bank - shoot it from the right and 50% go to the outlane; shoot it from the left 50% go SDTM
Horseshoe - shoot it clockwise and enjoy another STDM frequently

Slingshots - Yes slings are supposed to be a danger-factor. But not this percentage of outlane, despite them being at the bottom position.

The frustrating part is that you constantly need to hope that a well performed shot doesn't end in a drain on the return. I'm not talkng about messy hits or returns from balls that didn't make it up the ramp or anything of that sort. I am talking about perfectly clean shots. Those are NOT supposed to drain. I personally have no motivation left to improve my "skills" on this, because skilled clean shots drain very often. Not cool, not fun and from my personal point of view not an acceptable design "decision"...

...UNLESS there is some magical way the machine can be adjusted. Please enlighten me.

#2 1 year ago

My left orbit and horseshoe both always go cleanly to a flipper. My right orbit used to hit the rubber next to the spinner and go down the middle, but I bent it out a bit and now it goes to the left flipper every time.

3 Bank and slings are deadly on this game, but they're supposed to be, not much you can do about it.

Have you made sure both the orbit guides are tight? If not, tighten them. If so, bend them a bit to try and adjust where they head.

#3 1 year ago

Which Flipper do they go to for you, depending on direction?

#4 1 year ago

Pro owner here with no playfield adjustments. None of the orbits or loops go SDTM. Main source of SDTM for me is making it only part way up the left ramp and having it roll back down, but that's fair.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from Sprudeldudel:

3 Bank - shoot it from the right and 50% go to the outlane; shoot it from the left 50% go SDTM

I'd like to see that in person.
Do you mean the left/right SIDE of ther 3 bankl of left/right Flipper?

#6 1 year ago

My orbits hit the top post on the slings..

Doesnt make it any more fun, but bending those guides is on my to do list.

I played another LE, which played perfect so there has to be a way

3 bank is there to punish, and bring reward if you dare ..

#7 1 year ago

Which Flipper do they go to for you, depending on direction?

Left outer orbit to right flipper or top of the right slingshot.
Right outer orbit to left flipper
Left inner tends to go to right flipper, right inner to left.

7 months later
#8 1 year ago

Quick update on the clockwise outer orbit shot. This used to end up STDM very often.
After talking to Steve Ritchie I understand this one is suppposed to go to the right flipper.

Reason it didn't was that the orbit lane guide had been burred by the ball hitting it from below. The burr was right on the egde of the end of the lane guide and could only be feld with the fingernail. With the glass off I could also hear a small "click" when the ball passed the end of the guide. Still, it was enough to "bump" it towards the center.

Filed that burr off and the orbit is 100% reliable to the right flipper as intended. I was impressed what a minor bur did to the ball.

#9 1 year ago

So, I have been owning a SWLE for about 4 months now. After playing it a lot I have to admit that the money on it was not well spent because of the way this machine is punishing clean shots with direct drains. And yes, it IS perfectly levelled and at a pitch of 6.5.
Examples of messed up shots:
Left Orbit - A clean fast shot will go SDTM, if lucky with a minor touch to the tip of the left flipper.
Horseshoe - shoot it clockwise and enjoy another STDM frequently
Slingshots - Yes slings are supposed to be a danger-factor. But not this percentage of outlane, despite them being at the bottom position.
The frustrating part is that you constantly need to hope that a well performed shot doesn't end in a drain on the return. I'm not talkng about messy hits or returns from balls that didn't make it up the ramp or anything of that sort. I am talking about perfectly clean shots. Those are NOT supposed to drain. I personally have no motivation left to improve my "skills" on this, because skilled clean shots drain very often. Not cool, not fun and from my personal point of view not an acceptable design "decision"...
...UNLESS there is some magical way the machine can be adjusted. Please enlighten me.

You forgot to mention that you have a playfield protector in the machine, You mention this in your other thread. This will change your shots. The only waste of money or money not well spent, was the protector.

#10 1 year ago

Thank you for your assessment.

In fact, by now a lot of this is resolved by making proper adjustents in the software - with the protector. For one thing I learned to anticipate the outcome of the shots better, for another some of the bogous shots are actually due to issues like the the burr mentioned above. Knowing where they are supposed to go help a lot in making the neccessary adjustments.

#11 1 year ago

Thanks for the update here. I missed the original post, but remember a nice Q&A video with Steve Ritchie specifically mentioning tweaks for SW. I’m glad you reached out to him and had a good outcome!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7.95
$ 76.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside