(Topic ID: 229027)

Switched Light problem on EBD-LE

By mbeardsley

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

My EBD-LE has developed a problem with all of the switched lights that are controlled by the Aux Lamp Driver board. None of these lamps work, with the exception of a couple of the left lane lamps which seem to be getting about 1 volt at all times (making them light, but just barely), even when they should be off.

The rest of the lights (both switched and GI work fine). I assumed that the Aux Driver board had failed and replaced it today with a brand new Alltek board. However, the problem persists, except that now those left lane lamps no longer get that phantom voltage and remain dark (which I guess is an improvement).

Before I spend the money on a new Main Lamp driver board, I was hoping somebody here had some ideas on how to better diagnose the issue.

Thanks.

#2 5 years ago

These issues are usually connector related. If the lamps driven by the main lamp board are working, buying another main lamp board isn't going to solve your problems with the Aux lamp driver board.

Make sure the Aux lamp board is getting power, hook up a multimeter (set to DC voltage) with the black lead onto test point TP2 and the red lead onto test point TP1 on the Aux lamp driver board. You should read about 5 volts.
If power is ok, the next single point of failure is the "lamp strobe #2" signal from the MPU board to the Aux lamp board. This is a grey wire from MPU board connector J1 pin 8 to the Aux lamp driver board J1 pin 3. Wiggle both of these connectors with the game in lamp test mode and see if the malfunctioning lamps start working

There are other signals from the MPU board to the Aux lamp board used for selecting lamps, but a bad connection on any of these other signals won't cause all lamps to not work from the Aux lamp driver board.

#3 5 years ago

Many thanks to you, kind sir.

You were correct that it was indeed a connector issue. The connector for the ground wire was cracked and not making a good connection. I moved the wire to an adjacent pin (also a ground connection) and now it is all working well.

Time to "Quit Talking and Start Chalking"!

#4 5 years ago

I'm looking to replace those old red molex connectors (with the black sliding covers) on the various boards, hopefully with the newer style white connectors.

I have several of the old ones that are cracked and/or fragile, and are probably the cause of another intermittent light problem that I have.

Does anyone know of the correct molex style for the cable connections? There seem to be a few choices of pin separation and length, etc.

Thanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 90.00
$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/switched-light-problem-on-ebd-le?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.