Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by DCRand
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frenchmarky.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 2 years ago

On EM machines all switch stacks need is retightening of the two screws. The bakelite tends to shrink over long periods of time. Other than that they are perfect for what they need to do and allow open access to the switch blades for adjusting and cleaning of the points. Microswitches are not the best idea for EMs with the higher voltages and amperage going thru the switches, vs. a SS game, and you can't clean them, adjust them or repair them.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from slochar:

Equipment that uses modern microswitches that's made to be repaired have an adjustment for the switches (usually one of the mounts can allow pivoting the switch slightly). So, guess there's some adjustment involved there, at some point.

I recently retrofitted an 80s Black Knight (solid state) with worn-out drop target leaf switches to use modern microswitches with plastic bases now used on rollovers on new games, using the existing mounting screws. They do have larger mounting holes than the switch stacks, which let me pivot and adjustment their position quite a bit. It wasn't necessary for me to do the job, but they do have that horizontal leeway.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

As was said, really the best way to upgrade an EM would be to dump all the relays for some sort of solid state setup, like Arduino. That might be a fun project, but maybe not so easy otherwise it seems like someone would have attempted it.

I saw somebody in here who'd obtained an EM where someone else had gotten halfway thru converting it to Arduino or something like that for the logic to replace the mech board stuff but I think it still used banks of sealed relays to power the playfield coils and score reels, something like that. Anyway it looked like a major disaster to try to finish what had been started, with the mech board now gone and a ton of cut wires hanging all over the place!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frenchmarky.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/switch-stacks-and-upgrades?tu=frenchmarky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.