1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Peruman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

z relay (resized).jpg
    #1 1 year ago

This relay has two stacked switches.

The leafs of the top switch are two sandwich boards apart. Although clearly not closed, the switch reads as closed testing from lug to lug on the multimeter.

The only thing I can think of is that they are connected through the screws. The only stacks I've taken apart were Wms, which had plastic insulating tubes, so if Gtb is the same, it can't be the screws.

I'd appreciate some guidance before I take the relay apart probably for nothing.

thanks!

-undr

z relay (resized).jpgz relay (resized).jpg
    #2 1 year ago

If you think it’s a screw, take one out at a time, and measure resistance.

#3 1 year ago

More likely there's a nonobvious path through other parts of the game. For a reliable test of continuity, unsolder at least one of the wires.

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from HowardR:

More likely there's a nonobvious path through other parts of the game. For a reliable test of continuity, unsolder at least one of the wires.

Yeah you can never really trust a continuity test that comes back positive on an EM. Not to mention that many meters treat even 10-20 ohms as 'continuity' when most coils in an EM measure less than that

#5 1 year ago

See, I know just enough to confuse myself. Thanks very much for the tips!

-undr

#6 1 year ago

Hard to tell but just a thought…looking at your picture I don’t see the side of the top blade closest to the wire as I do the rest of the blades in the stack. Could be something, could be nothing.

#7 1 year ago

I’ll loosen he screws and make sure the switches are all lined up.

#8 1 year ago

Which relay is it on your schematic? In many Gottliebs, there will be an open switch and a closed switch from another relay in parallel with each other, making it so that the multimeter will read them as a short

Alberto

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/switch-stack-problem-gtb?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.