• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tan_(resized).JPG
Rubberrelay_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

Bally Flip Flop 10 Point, 100 Point, 1000 Point relay switches located in backbox are not mounted firmly to the board like all the other relays. Instead these three relay/switches have a rubber grommet spaced between the board and the metal housing of the relay. These relays are flimsy and feel loose enough to fall off the board (but they are attached). What is the purpose of this and why only on these particular relays? I also discovered this method of flimsy fastening on the two Coin Chute relay/switches.

Rubberrelay_(resized).jpgRubberrelay_(resized).jpg

#2 8 years ago

I would think that was to keep players from beating on the cabinet to increase the score to win credits. however, I could be wrong. really don't know for sure

#3 8 years ago

Cheap shock mounts.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from Chuck_Sherman:

I would think that was to keep players from beating on the cabinet to increase the score to win credits. however, I could be wrong. really don't know for sure

Good question, and I'd say a very plausible explanation on your part.

#5 8 years ago

Hi
for "to hinder increasing the score by beating": Shouldn't the grommets be mounted underneath the relays ?
The "points relays" are HEAVILY used throughout the game(s) - How about: The grommets are used the same way as Locking-nuts are used ? (these relays will never get loose due to vibration) Greetings Rolf

#6 8 years ago

Lottza gud possibilities here!
I would have to side with Dirt on this one, relays are noisy and loud. and the score relays hammer the entire game.
I see those on lots of machines. and they are all dried out and shrunk/fallin appart.
I have used mouse pads cut and drilled to replace them. todays gromets I believe are too stiff to do much sound dampening.
Now, the question, "do I need them?".
Well, there needs to be something there, the holes are larger to hold them in.
How noisy is your game room? would it matter that much not havin them?
you decide.

#7 8 years ago

I've bought these from Marco's. My Flipper Parade (1961) has them in many places, including under the bulb holders for the score reel illumination. A bit of a trick to squeeze the new ones into the holes, but I find that using a thin paintbrush handle to squash it through helps.

tan_(resized).JPGtan_(resized).JPG

#8 8 years ago

PBR sells black grommets.

#9 8 years ago

Good enough!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/switch-relays-mounted-with-rubber-grommets and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.