(Topic ID: 69802)

Switch questions, Gilligan Island and general switches.

By GL_Pinguy

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by GL_Pinguy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

GI-SwitchIssue.jpg

#1 5 years ago

Tonight while I was working on my GI I noticed that switches 72 & 73 are reversed according to the switch matrix in the manual. Has any one else noticed this on their GI.

Also, when i have switch errors from time to time on machines, I have to cycle them and the error goes away. Is this normal or should I be looking for other problems?

#2 5 years ago

Monday morning bump.

#3 5 years ago

I have a friend that has a GI that I shopped out for him. I don't remember the 2 switches being reversed. Next time I'm over there I can check it out.

The switch error you mention is from the switch not being activated after so many balls or games. The pin will keep track of number of balls played or number of games played and if a switch hasn't been hit after so many balls/games it will think it is bad and give an error. Activating the switch will clear the error. My friend's GI will get that a lot on some of the ramp switches. You can play a lot of games on GI and never hit all the ramps. So the game will assume the switch isn't working.

#4 5 years ago

Checking the wire lengths, I will have to reroute the wires to change them. They both have the same ends.

#5 5 years ago

Here is a picture to make finding the switches I am talking about.

GI-SwitchIssue.jpg
#6 5 years ago

Does anybody else have any ideas why these switches are reversed?

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from GL_Pinguy:

Does anybody else have any ideas why these switches are reversed?

Mixed up connectors, somebody screwed up putting them back on. etc. etc.

LTG : )

#8 5 years ago

Just checked mine 72 is on the plastic ramp, 73 is on the wire ramp. So as LTG says the connectors on the board is in the wrong place, or someone put a new connector in and mixed up the wire placement.

#9 5 years ago

I never thought to check to see if they are wrong on the board. Under the PF the wires are too short to switch.

#10 5 years ago

If two wires were switched at the board, two entire rows would be mixed up not just two bulbs. Check the wire colors going to the two bulbs and compare to the colors listed on the switch matrix diagram. Could have been miswired at the factory.

#11 5 years ago

I was able to swap the two plugs so the switches are correct. Now back to the original problem, the island only works if the play filed is in the up/service position.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from GL_Pinguy:

Now back to the original problem, the island only works if the play filed is in the up/service position.

So figure out what wires stretch and make good contact somewhere when you lift the playfield up.

LTG : )

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from GL_Pinguy:

Now back to the original problem, the island only works if the play filed is in the up/service position.

Check to see if any wires are shorting out against the railing or anything else when you lower the PF. I have a Centaur that has a switch bank that would stop working when the PF was lowered. Turned out a wire would get pinched in the rail and the insulation rubbed off and would short it out. Also do as LTG suggested and look for a wire that stretches when PF is lifted or has a loose connection.

#14 5 years ago

Thanks for the ideas, going to go tug some wires and look for sparks.

#15 5 years ago

Followed the wires that pulled while lifting the PF and reset all of the wires on the opto / island motor board near the back of the PF. I played 5 games and it seems to be working pretty consistently now. In some of the other threads other GI owners have mentioned pulling the opto board and reflowing the solder/ Are they talking about the small board under the island or the larger board that the island motor plug into.

Thanks again for all of the help!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Friendship Heights, MD
$ 135.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside