(Topic ID: 164440)

Switch problems on Pinbot

By mcklit

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Here is a question that will drive you crazy...
Here is a question that will drive you crazy...
Here is a question th... sqeeezzzz ... yeah ... I know ... sorry !!!

Anyway - been ripping my hair off trying to figure out what's going on here.
Working on a Pinbot. It has 5 top targets. first, second and five work. But tree and four does not work.
They are all strobed through J8 pin 4. Tree is returned to J10 pin 3 and four is returned to J10 pin 2.

All 5 top targets are sequential starting with switch 28 for target 1, 29 for taget 2, 30 for target 3 and so on.
They are wired through a 6 leg connector with one pin being the strobe and the remaining 5 are returns.

I took the connector apart and used a meter in diode mode with one led on the strobe and tested each target. When activating the target switch I could see that the signal was returned to the meter. So - all target switches work.

I then took the connector of the MPU and tested for continuity from J8 pin 4 to the strobe pin in the 6 leg target connector. It's fine !
So conclusion is that strobe wire is ok. I should add that target 5 is last switch on the strobe.

I then thought I would concentrate on just target 4 which is in row 7. This is connected through J10 pin 2 (white / violet wire).
Looking at the switch matrix row 7 will start with slam tilt on switch 7 and end with switch 55 right sling. (Switch 63 is not used).
I measured continuity from J10 pin 2 to switch 55 right sling !!
Again - conclusion must be that the wire is fine.

Now - my question is - how can the strobe and return both be fine all the way through when target 4 is not working. And keep in mind the physical switch for target 4 is also ok ?!?

Only thing I can think of - and that I didn't test - is signal level of the strobe. But then again - if strobe signal is weak - why is it returned fine on target one, two and five?

As said - here is a question that wi..... (slam !)

#2 7 years ago

What about on the board?
Have you tested all the returns to make sure those signals are being recognized?
There's a good explanation on this in pinwiki:
http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11#Switch_Matrix_Row_and_Column_Testing

Good luck! Pinbot's a great game!
Jeff

#3 7 years ago

Hi Jeff

Thanks for your input.

I tried the test and all combinations worked out fine. Except that J8 pin 9 does not react on J10-1, J10-2, J10-3 and J10-5 (pin 4 is key and therefore not connected). I don't think it's a problem because pin J10-1, J10-2, J10-3, and J10-5 maps up to switch 64, 63, 62 and 61. As written in the matrix those are not in use. So my guess is that the wire was terminated at switch 60 since none of the remaining switches are used.

Hmmm - not easy this one.

#4 7 years ago

Argh - figured it out !

The top 5 targets in Pinbot are hidden behind a metal plate and not easy to get to. As written in my first mail - these 5 targets are connected to the wire harness through a 6 leg connector. So to test them easily I disconnected the targets and put my meter into diode mode putting one led on the strobe and shifting the other led from leg to leg. They all worked as I pressed the target switch - and therefore I knew that all target switch where good.

But - when I testet the continuity in the wire harness I did so from the 6 leg connector and out since I knew the targets themselves where fine. This test was also fine - making me rip out my hair ?!?

Then half an hour ago it finally struck me that the connector itself could be the source of the problem. It's the only thing that was never testet - and sure - there was the problem. A simple rinse solved the issue and now everything works fine !

Stupid me !

#5 7 years ago

99% of the time it's the simplest answer. I had a problem with my Pinbot resetting on me. After much work and headache I found it to be a connector I had checked several times already. Glad you solved it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/switch-problems-on-pinbot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.