Switch motor

By pinballer64

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I have a 1968 Royal Guard got live that the switch motor keeps running and the kick out for the ball to start the game also keeps popping and kicking the ball out. Would you have any suggestions on what could be the problem.

#2 6 years ago

Are all the score reels in the backbox set to zero? If not, you'll want to activate them by hand to set them to zero. If that fixes it, you'll need to clean or rebuild some/all of them to get it to start (and score) consistently.

#3 6 years ago

Yes they are all set on zero and also the game count.

#4 6 years ago

I suppose the next thing would be to check that all the 0-position switches on each of the score reels is making good contact. If you cycle the score reels by hand, you should see the various switches open and close at certain points in the reels rotation. Make sure they all are opening and closing properly as the reels turn.

#5 6 years ago

Does it keep kicking the ball out, and eventually go to game over? Have you checked the ball count unit?

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballer64:

the kick out for the ball to start the game also keeps popping and kicking the ball out

Check the outhole switch adjustment

#7 6 years ago

Thanks everybody I'll try to mess with it for a little bit and see what happens

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballer64:

and the kick out for the ball to start the game also keeps popping and kicking the ball out.

Is the Ball Count also increasing as the balls go through the trough? As it should stop on the 5th ball, if the Ball Count unit is working. It is possibly a bent trough switch, (the one between the ball return kicker and the shooter lane) also a possibility of a broken wire between the trough switch and the ball count unit, you will have to check these at least. Has the Ball Count jammed up?

#9 6 years ago

I think the ball counter might be jammed. if I move it by hand it lights up for ball 1 through 5 it doesn't move on its own but once it gets to the 5th Ball it still keeps popping the ball out to the shoot Lane.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballer64:

I think the ball counter might be jammed. if I move it by hand it lights up for ball 1 through 5 it doesn't move on its own but once it gets to the 5th Ball it still keeps popping the ball out to the shoot Lane.

It can also be out of position, a lot. There are 2 stops on the stepper gear on the backside, that have to open and close the switches/contacts on the backside of the unit.

#11 6 years ago

Thanks Darcy by the way what machines do you have?

#12 6 years ago

Is it safe to use WD-40 on the ball count unit, on Springs?

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballer64:

Is it safe to use WD-40 on the ball count unit, on Springs?

NEVER use WD-40 in an EM machine. WD-40 is not a lubricant or cleaner, it gums up over and time and worst of all is highly flammable. A spark might set off some of the residue left over and start a fire.

#14 6 years ago

Definitely don't want that I have enough problems as it is. what do I use for lubricant and cleaning?

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballer64:

what do I use for lubricant and cleaning?

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index1.htm#lube

I use dry paper towels for cleaning.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballer64:

Definitely don't want that I have enough problems as it is. what do I use for lubricant and cleaning?

If there's a lot of grim my go to is 99% isopropyl alcohol and a lot of cotten swabs. Just MAKE SURE it's at LEAST 92%. I find anything lower leaves a white residue behind that can cause electrical havoc. If you do use it, make sure the area is well ventilated and wait at least 15-30 minutes after use before turning the machine back on. While I've never personally had issues even after 5 minutes, better safe then sorry.

While you generally don't want to lubricate anything, if need be the only thing you should use If Teflon Super Lube Synthetic Grease. https://www.amazon.ca/Super-Lube-21030-Synthetic-Grease/dp/B000XBH9HI
And if you do, only apple a little to the rivets at the back of the ballcount unit so the plate travels more smoothly. Don't use it on the shaft or anything. Stuff works well, it was able to get a stiff gottlieb AS stepper working again and saved me the headache of trying to take it apart.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballer64:

what do I use for lubricant and cleaning?

I have good luck with mineral spirits. It cuts through grease and grime, has a longer working time than alcohol and doesn't leave a residue. It works well with rags, Qtips, old tooth brushes, dental floss (for tight spaces), etc.. I keep some in a handy spray bottle.

Sometimes I'll use citrus based cleaner in an ultrasonic cleaner if I'm going to disassemble everything. It cuts way back on the elbow grease.

I find that if I thoroughly clean everything (which usually means disassembly, cleaning, reassembly, adjustment, etc.) that I rarely need any lube in an EM game for home use. I usually reserve lube for things that have wear that I can't fix or grease/grime in places I can't get apart which isn't very often.

/Mark

#18 6 years ago

Thanks for the tips very useful

#19 6 years ago

I got two machines from some guy who had them for years in a laundromat and they're really really dirty with a lot of lint and so I've been trying to clean them up. One is the 68 Gottlieb royal flush and the other is Williams Liberty Bell. Got them both for the low low price of free.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/switch-motor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.