Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Robo1
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I had just attempted to adjust a switch on the pop bumper and I must have done something wrong. It seems that I have two lines out on the switch matrix plus a message that there is a ground short on row 7. switches 16,17,26,27,46 and couple more are out.......
where do i begin?

#2 8 years ago

Did you unsolder the switch and get wires crossed? Is something bent and touching each other or a metal bracket on underside of PF?
Probably obvious stuff you have already checked. Did you make adjustments with machine powered off? If not possible you touched something together with a tool and shorted it.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from Robo1:

I had just attempted to adjust a switch on the pop bumper and I must have done something wrong.

If you did that with the power on you likely shorted high voltage to the switch matrix.

Remove the row and column connectors and see if the ground short error goes away. You can then jumper from one column to one row and the corresponding switch should indicated closed. Test all of the rows and columns this way. This will confirm whether you have a board or playfield problem.

So jumper from row 1 to column 1, row 2 to column 2, etc.

#4 8 years ago

I definately shorted the switch to the back lug on the pop bumper coil. What components will I need to replace?
As soon as it happened I knew I had forgotten to turn off the machine after releasing the balls.......so stupid I havent adjusted any of my newer games in a long time and forgot the basics.....

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from Robo1:

I definately shorted the switch to the back lug on the pop bumper coil. What components will I need to replace?

There is no magic answer, do the test above and we'll start narrowing it down.

Do you have a logic probe?

#6 8 years ago

I used the technique explained on the pinwiki site, and yes, there are entire rows affected. should i start by replacing the ULN2803 at U20? I can pick one up tomorrow at a nearby store, it is socketed so it would be a quick first attempt at finding a solution...

#8 8 years ago

I dont have a logic probe, but i can pick one up tomorrow when i get the UlN2803.......

#9 8 years ago

Here's some info on which logic probe to buy and how to use it.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terrybs-guide-to-logic-probes

#10 8 years ago

Terryb, I couldnt find the logic probe you recommended, i will order it next time i order supplies from the states. In the meantime, i replaced the ULN 2803 and resolved my problem. Thank you and Chris for the info, you saved me tons of trouble.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 21.50
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

16,500 (OBO)
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/switch-matrix-problem-on-attack-from-mars and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.