6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by pinlink
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4692 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4683 (resized).PNG

#1 6 years ago

I'm having a weird issue that I can't seem to work out. Had this game a while but this just popped up.

During test mode no switches are showing closed (as it should be) and when pressing on switches, the correct number is displayed. The solenoid numbers are off during test. They fire, but out of order.

However during game play when you get the ball in the Golden Cliffs saucer (switch 32), the left pop bumper (40) fires instead of the GC saucer kick out. Leaving the ball stranded.

Same thing happens when getting the ball in the Paragon saucer (switch 24). The right pop bumper (39) fires and not the Paragon saucer kick out.

Other things I've noticed are the left slingshot does not fire but makes a sound and scores 500 points. Same with the beast lair pop bumper. Doesn't work but scores 100 points and makes a sound. During startup the game should fire the saucers but fires the pops. Also, the left bank of drop targets is not resetting.

I have checked all diodes for broken legs and tested most of them. All seem fine. There are only a few caps on the switches. I clipped legs but no change. I've also swapped in know working solenoid board, mpu, and even lamp driver. No change in behavior. Also double checked the wiring is correct going into the boards.

What should I check next?
    IMG_4683 (resized).PNGIMG_4683 (resized).PNG

#2 6 years ago

I ran solenoid test and here are my results. Some solenoids fired correctly at the right time, others didn't, and some never fired.

1 correct
    2 Incorrect- treasure chamber saucer fires
    3 correct
    4 Incorrect- right thumper fires
    5 Incorrect- left thumper fires
    6 Incorrect- Nothing fires
    7 correct
    8 correct
    9 correct
    10 Incorrect- Nothing fires
    11 Incorrect- right sling fires
    12 Incorrect- Nothing fires
    13 Incorrect- drop targets right side fire
    14 Incorrect- nothing
    15 correct

IMG_4692 (resized).JPGIMG_4692 (resized).JPG

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

The solenoid numbers are off during test. They fire, but out of order.

You do not have a switch matrix problem You appear to have a solenoid problem. You may have a connector on wrong on the solenoid driver board or one of the solenoid address lines is off.

#4 6 years ago

I just tested all diodes and they all test good.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from BigAl56:

You do not have a switch matrix problem You appear to have a solenoid problem. You may have a connector on wrong on the solenoid driver board or one of the solenoid address lines is off.

Can you elaborate on "one of the solenoid address lines is off"?

It looks like all solenoids effected are connected at J5 on solenoid board, but it's definitely hooked up correctly. Does that point to anything? I swapped a known solenoid driver board in but nothing changed.

Thanks

#6 6 years ago

Check connector J4 on the MPU and J4 on the solenoid driver. Most likely one of the pins is broken inside the connector housing. You need to measure continuity from the BACK of the MPU connector to the BACK of the solenoid driver connector to verify good connection, specifically pins 1-4 on the MPU to pins 3-6 on the solenoid driver.

#7 6 years ago

As dothedoo mentioned, there are 4 signals from the MPU board to the SDB that select specific momentary solenoids to activate.
    These signals are marked PB3, PB2, PB1 and PB0 on the schematic from the MPU board at connector J4 pins 1, 2, 3, and 4 respectively. They go to the SDB on J4 pins 3, 4, 5 and 6 respectively.
    Below is the logic state of these signals (derived from the SDB schematic) showing what solenoids their combination activates.
    Mapping out which solenoids are firing in the wrong order from your second post, your problem specifically indicates that signal PB1 is stuck on a logic high "1" state at the SDB meaning there is an open circuit on this wire signal.
    This is a blue-red wire and it comes from MPU board connector J4 pin 3 and the destination is the SDB connector J4 pin 5. Check/reterminate the terminals on both ends.

PPPP
    BBBB
    ==========================
    0000 Bottom Pop Bumper
    0001 Drop Target Inline Reset
    0010 -
    0011 -
    0100 -
    0101 Knocker
    0110 Outhole
    0111 Treasure Chamber Saucer
    1000 Golden Cliffs Saucer
    1001 Paragon Saucer
    1010 Left Pop Bumper
    1011 Right Pop Bumper
    1100 Center Pop Bumper
    1101 Left Slingshot
    1110 Right Slingshot
    1111 -

#8 6 years ago

Thank you! You were both right, it was a bad connection. It's working now, I'll repin it to make it stronger.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/switch-matrix-issue-bally-paragon?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.