Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by SYS6
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hey Group I have a Williams Disco Fever. Plays fine. However when I hit a couple of switches.. It stops or freezes the game up....I have tested continuity on the switches,-lwires to board. All fine.. So unsure what to test next. Limited knowledge on electronic issues. but learning as we go.. Suggestions ? Thoughts on what might be the issues. Or how to test some more components. THX> NicToria.

Forgot to add......Also using a Gorgar system 6 board with Disco Fever chips installed. If that might be my problems. Disco Fever is System 3..

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from NicToria:

Also using a Gorgar system 6 board with Disco Fever chips installed. If that might be my problems. Disco Fever is System 3.

Shouldn't be any real problems there. I've used a gorgar sys 6 mpu in a hot tip (first sys 3) for years without issue.

Do you have any other driver/mpu you could swap to see if it's a board issue? Are any of the three PIAs (the biggest chips on the driver) socketed?

Is it a certain switch that reliably causes this?

#3 6 years ago

Hey. Thx.. The Gorgar boards. Combined Style.(2) are a known working set . I "borrowed' the boards and installed them in the DF....

So the switches that cause the lockup or freeze mode. are # 40 ER Stand up... behind the 3 drop targets. Unsure what this switch even does.. And # 35... Turn around switch. Unsure of its use also..

NT

I don't have any know issues on the Gorgar boards
or their chips.... I am just guessing though....

#4 6 years ago

Start by going into Switch Test.

Take the ball out.

Now, test each switch and make sure the # displayed, matches the # that is supposed to be that switch.

For instance, if you press a target switch, and it displays the number of the Slam Tilt switch, the game will reset....

#5 6 years ago

THX> Will look into Switch Testing. NT>..

#6 6 years ago

If switch test doesn't point you at the source of the problem a good next step is to isolate if the issue is play field related or board related.

To do this disconnect the switch row and column connectors at the driver board and run the switch test just using a jumper wire. Use the switch matrix documentation and step thru by starting with connecting your jumper to col 1, then test each row. Move to next col and step across the row and so on. If everything works as expect here you problem is on the play field.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Woolwich Township, NJ
$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/switch-issues-on-disco-feverhelpplz-thx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.