• Latest reply 3 years ago by DumbAss
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Popeye switch matrix (resized).JPG
#1 3 years ago

So I have a Power Driver Board on a WPC machine that is giving me switch issues saying switches are closed when they are not. I’ve put this board in two different machines and get basically the same switch issues... on Popeye it says check switches 81, 82, 83, 41, and 63. While on Doctor Who it’s switches 43, 51, 53, 61, and 63. I’m pretty new to these WPC machines. It’s not an entire row or column that is out so I’m not sure where to start at this point... Ideas appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Here’s what it does in the Popeye machine:

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballGurus:

So I have a Power Driver Board on a WPC machine that is giving me switch issues saying switches are closed when they are not. I’ve put this board in two different machines and get basically the same switch issues... on Popeye it says check switches 81, 82, 83, 41, and 63. While on Doctor Who it’s switches 43, 51, 53, 61, and 63. I’m pretty new to these WPC machines. It’s not an entire row or column that is out so I’m not sure where to start at this point... Ideas appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Here’s what it does in the Popeye machine:

Switch connections go to the CPU board, not the Power Driver Board. Rows 1 & 2 and Column 1 do link to opto isolators U7 & U8 on the PD Board but you are seeing different switches being closed - removing the ribbon cable between the CPU and PD Board and go into switch test mode would confirm this. So I'm confused why the issue moves with the PD board. Also looking at Popeye's switch matrix, 81, 82 & 83 are optos and will be normally closed. If you go into switch test mode, test all you switches to verify what is working and also see if any switch is showing multiple activations in the matrix.

Popeye switch matrix (resized).JPGPopeye switch matrix (resized).JPG

Pinwiki is a good reference for troubleshooting WPC issues https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Switch_Matrix_Problems

#3 3 years ago

The optos get their 12V voltage from driver board. So check regulator Q2 (LM7812) and fuse 115.

#4 3 years ago

Good to know. I actually tested the switch matrix on the CPU board going thru each switch and everything tested good, so I was super confused how I could have switch issues still... so knowing the driver board send the 12v makes sense. I know the fuse is good so it must be the Q2 - LM7812.

#5 3 years ago

I tested the Q2 and it seems to test fine; F115 is good as well. Should I switch out the Q2 regardless?

#6 3 years ago

Q2 is not a transistor, but a voltage regulator IC. So you can't test it with a simple multimeter test. But you should see 12V against ground at both sides of F115 if Q2 is good.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

The optos get their 12V voltage from driver board. So check regulator Q2 (LM7812) and fuse 115.

All playfield voltage (except flipper voltage if the machine is WPC-89 and uses a fliptronic board or the extra flipper power supply board) does derive from the power board.

However ... optos are powered by the UNREGULATED 12V (+12VU) not the regulated 12V (+12VR).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

£ 110.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/switch-issue-on-wpc-power-driver-board?hl=tuukka and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.