Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by northvibe
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I recently replaced my outhole switch and resoldered related MPU connections. This has game play up and running, but it now consistently double starts every time a ball goes out. It doesn't advance ball count as if you've played 2 balls. I think I may have the wrong diode on the switch. I've tried 100v 200 ma switching diodes that look like the original, and IN4004 diodes. Neither are solving the problem.

#2 2 years ago

Looks like isn't good enough. Get the right number. Be sure you have the silver band facing the right direction.

LTG : )

#3 2 years ago

Could use game as well

#4 2 years ago

Let's see a picture of the switch wiring and the diode orientation.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact ... for board repairs
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#5 2 years ago

<<but it now consistently double starts every time a ball goes out. It doesn't advance ball count as if you've played 2 balls.>>

Do you mean the ball is kicked to the shooter, but the outhole kicker then immediately fires a second time? If that's what you see maybe the switch is just closing again from vibration after the ball lifts off the switch and needs to be gapped open a little more, or long blade is not adjusted tightly enough against the actuator wire.
And as you are apparently seeing, a second firing like that would not advance the game to next ball or next player.

#7 2 years ago

Frenchmarky called it. I had to replace my outhole switch with a similar Williams switch, as mine was discontinued in 2017. The new one was shy 2 leafs which didn't lift the actuator enough. I also reflowed the solder on all pertinent joints I could trace out. Things are much more reliable, though it does still miss an out occasionally.

1 week later
#8 2 years ago

I discovered the original problem. J-3 on the MPU needs re-pinning. Got the tool today.

4 months later
#9 2 years ago

Re-pinning J3 did the trick!

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from GPrince:

Re-pinning J3 did the trick!

thanks for posting the fix!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/switch-diode-question- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.