Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Vinnypin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Trying to break down the issues I have left to fix on Party Zone. One of which is a switch problem. Noticed that when playing, the switch for the back ball popper closes, it sends the Captain B Zarr head into a clockwise spin until the wires bind it up and the game shuts it down.

So checking the switch matrix in switch edge test here's what I found. With all three of the Head Optos CLOSED, closing switch 41 which is the back ball popper, subsequently OPENS switch 51 which is the Head Opto 1.

I checked all other switches in the adjacent rows and columns, and found that the left jet bumper switch 43 when closed, also OPENS it's adjacent switch; Head opto 3 (switch 53).

Normally I'm used to working with a phantom switch closure, not one that opens a normally closed switch. But obviously something is amiss here.

Just to be sure I checked the Row 2 switch 42 right ball popper to see if closing it would open it's adjacent switch Head opto 2, and it did not do so.

I've checked all diodes related to these switches, replaced the single diode that is on the head opto board, and still no change.

Any ideas guys?

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from Vinnypin:

Normally I'm used to working with a phantom switch closure, not one that opens a normally closed switch. But obviously something is amiss here.

No, you are just thinking about it wrong. Optos are normally closed, so something breaks the beam OR a phantom closure, opens them.

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago

Ok Lloyd, so if that's the case, then the typical scenario suggests that there's a diode shorted somewhere within the "box" formed by the switches involved....

Two of the switches are optos, so no diode there,

And I've replaced the diodes on the other two switches, (and checked the wiring, it's correct). But no change. Any further advice on how to pinpoint the issue surrounding this matrix problem?

Thanks

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from Vinnypin:

Any further advice on how to pinpoint the issue surrounding this matrix problem?

Get lucky. Diode on backwards, a short to switch wiring. And for real fun, a switch shorted internally.

LTG : )

#5 7 years ago

Thanks Lloyd, figured it out. Turns out the new optos installed, were of the wrong spec, even though sourced with the correct Williams part number. New optos, and no more faulty switch behavior. Game working 100% now!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
Machine - For Sale
Walbridge, OH
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Glen Rock, PA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Columbus, IN
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 40.00
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/switch-closure-causes-optos-to-go-open and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.