5 months ago

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by hocuslocus
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Untitled (resized).jpg
    StarTrek_SwitchMatrix_Capacitors.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hocuslocus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 months ago

on most machines there are a select number of these switch capacitors. haven't checked but do they just install one for a row or column of switches? is there a rhyme or reason for picking said switch.

Only reason I ask is the game I'm working on doesn't have them in places I'd think their needed. Like spinners, slings.

#6 5 months ago
    Quoted from frunch:

They're used to help particular switches sense quick closures. Some switches may seem intermittent or unresponsive without the cap installed. Most of the time i see them on rollover switches and standing targets. I wouldn't add them to switches that don't have them unless i exhausted every other solution. Have you tried cleaning and adjusting the switches you're having trouble with?

appreciate the response, I'm not having any issues. I was just comparing one of the newer MPU-200 sterns to this older one. Seems like they always used them on the slings and spinners. But then randomly placed them on other targets around the game. Mainly just trying to understand the reason behind it. Was it because a whole row or column that benefits from one switch cap (wired in series) ? or was a there a reason they chose that specific switch. I understand their purpose, which is why I was gonna put them on the slings and spinners of this game. Since they have faster hitting switches.

Started replacing them on my last game, its the only reason I thought to look at placement this time. Remember someone suggesting it as a good idea to replace them, and they brought valid points as to why.

#8 5 months ago
    Quoted from slochar:

It just lengthens the response on that one switch - not a whole row or column.
    I think sometimes they were playing around with where they went in the early days - I've seen some drop banks that have them (unnecessarily) installed from the factory. Usually it's on standup targets or rollovers.

I didn't check.... but it was the only thing that seemed to make sense to me. Just seemed a little sporadic, like one standup had it and the one next it didn't. I should probably go based on a bally next time, these sterns don't really seem uniform. It was the same thing with their type of post placement... random.

thanks, I won't read in to it any further.

#10 5 months ago
    Quoted from Quench:

So check the schematics for your particular game.
    [quoted image]

Well that helped, my theory definitely makes no sense after looking at it.
    There were caps on some of the switches that aren't in there though. And I didn't find any remanence of the leads for the old caps some of the star standup's either.
    Maybe the line worker had a hangover that day .
    Untitled (resized).jpg

#13 5 months ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Oh, it's a Stern Stars. Sterns early manuals/schematics aren't the most accurate..
    Besides the five star colored standup targets which are a must, you could add a capacitor to the rollover button in the middle of the playfield to better sense high speed balls and maybe the pop bumper which might otherwise miss scoring.
    None of the other playfield switches need them.

awesome, I will add a few of them then. Yeah I've heard some of these schematics weren't the best. Their parts manual is like a sentence, compared to bally who wrote an essay.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 19.95
    $ 1.95
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    DevilsMuse Arcade
    $ 209.99
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 38.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 30.00
    $ 87.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 199.99
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    FlyLand Designs
    $ 27.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    £ 58.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 66.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 89.99
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 49.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hocuslocus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside