(Topic ID: 222010)

Switch availability/alternates for early Stern 5 bank drop...

By SDTMinSTL

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by frunch
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CaptureII (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SDTMinSTL.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I maybe making this more difficult than it should be but I can't find a replacement switch (SW-473) for a Stern 5 Drop Bank (D-393-5).

Does anyone know of a solution? Is there a suitable repro replacement anywhere? It is for a Flight 2000 but the assembly is shared among other games as well. Thank you in advance.

CaptureII (resized).JPGCaptureII (resized).JPG
    #4 5 years ago
    Quoted from slochar:

You can buy switch blades and contacts from pinball resource or marcospec and make them. Good resource to have in your toolbox at all times so you can replace any switch any time you need. Gold plated contacts for low voltage applications and tungsten contacts for EM's and high voltage switches.
    Most of the switches will be the 'medium' weight blades like on your target bank. You cut down the new blade to the correct lengths and put the contacts in you can either crimp them with pliers (protect the contact face with a soft cloth on that side), or peen them with something like a pin punch or a nail set. Any used ones will probably be too corroded to use (operators at the time liked filing the gold plated switches even though multiple labels and instructions said not to.... old habits dying hard....).

Thanks. All wires running to these seem to have solid connections. The center bank (of three) is just flaky. When I test it, it sometimes registers and sometimes it doesn't.

Excuse the dumb question, but would these be the gold plated type? I am not certain if it is high or low voltage. I can test the diodes. They are there but I am not 100% sure they are functioning properly.They are all gapped to spec and good to go in that regard.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SDTMinSTL.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/switch-availability-alternates-for-early-stern-5-bank-drop?tu=SDTMinSTL and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.