• 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by SkillShot
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8791.JPG
IMG_20170303_014901 (resized).jpg
There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 7 years ago

I was referring to the Zelda masters edition.
It was 130 + free shipping + additional 7% for sales tax.

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from lancestorm:

Hey OP, go to hell. Why not leave it IN STORE for some other kid to pick up instead of thinking of yourself. YOU are part of the problem.

+1

#53 7 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Guys, I love Nintendo...love my Wii U...and am VERY excited for the Switch. But all these conversations should continue in one of the video game threads. Right now all these bumps (yes, including mine) are helping a scalper do his scalping and that is some BS. I'm amazed that this is apparently OK with Pinside... :/
Zelda special edition retailed at $100. Best Buy GCU or Amazon Prime preorders were $80. Free shipping. I get that these are sold out and likely not being restocked so a mark-up is expected, but please do not pretend that you are "barely breaking even" at $45-$65 over what you paid. If this was the master edition...then sure...play the martyr card that you are doing us a favor. But...it's not.
Switch console retails at $300 and will be readily available (maybe not next week, but soon enough). Free shipping most places, or just walk into a local store. There is zero reason to pay this guy a ~30% mark up.
Let's not continue to support this scalping trend that has been making recent Nintendo releases a pain in the butt for those of us who just want to play, not use them as a way to make a quick buck.

Continue Switch talk here in the Retro Gaming Club Thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nes-classic-edition-unobtainium

Quoted from goatdan:

I'm stupid excited for Bomberman, and can care less about Zelda. Of course, decided to pre-order Bomberman tonight and it's sold out on Amazon

If they do a real friends list system this time I'll play bomberman with ya! Have it and Zelda coming

#54 7 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

If they do a real friends list system this time I'll play bomberman with ya! Have it and Zelda coming

Amazon apparently sold out of Bomberman, so now I have to decide if I'm going to suck it up and pay full price for it with my pre-order Friday, or wait until a restock and get 20% off.... but HECK YEAH I'M IN!

I'm getting a Switch in large part for the MGC, but yeah, Bomberman got me really excited to actually play it, which is weird...

#55 7 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Amazon apparently sold out of Bomberman, so now I have to decide if I'm going to suck it up and pay full price for it with my pre-order Friday, or wait until a restock and get 20% off.... but HECK YEAH I'M IN!
I'm getting a Switch in large part for the MGC, but yeah, Bomberman got me really excited to actually play it, which is weird...

I was wavering on Bomberman since I have so many versions of it already....surprised it sold out! Seemed like one of those games people would ignore than then pick up when it's on clearance.

#56 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Actually Mario didn't do that great on mobile. I thought it as amazing, but I'm a Nintendo nerd. The app buying public thought $10 was too much for an awesome Mario game. Nintendo thrives on Nintendo hardware. Wii U was a marketing disaster and people are really nostalgic for Nintendo right now. The Switch concept is ultra clear - this March soft launch will make the hardcores happy and get interest out there. For most people, this is the first Nintendo system since Wii...and I think it's gonna sell HUGE this Xmas for Mario Odyssey...and by then will also have a really nice "launch" lineup for 1st (Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon, etc) and 3rd party games.

Yeah, it didn't do so great; it only broke records for downloads and even at a 5 percent conversion rate, it made a lot of money for a mobile game despite users being disappointed at its 10 dollar price tag. (Nintendo's stock did take a hit though).

Personally, I think 10 bucks is too pricey for what the game is too.

#57 7 years ago

Supply and demand is the way the world works.
OP has the supply and others have the demand. Good luck to the OP and stop bagging him.

#58 7 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I believe amazon is sold out of zelda too? Or I heard that anyway.

btw - 1 zelda and 1 switch left. I'm not bothering breaking down cost anymore on these but if you add tax and shipping (both ways) you'll understand. Off to ebay otherwise. For those who bought, items are in route and should arrive to me this Friday. I will be mailing out to you same day.

I went black btw on the switch. Might be regretting that but I'm not sure I can handle the public playing with the colors (I know I should get over it but I feel like a big kid enough).

#59 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I was wavering on Bomberman since I have so many versions of it already....surprised it sold out! Seemed like one of those games people would ignore than then pick up when it's on clearance.

Yeah, it seems like they only bring out Bomberman when a new console comes out and they can toss one together - they did it with that weird version for the 360 too - but I just really want to play a new version of it, and I think I'm willing to suck it up and pay for it because of that. The local 8 player game sounds incredible, although knowing how I roll, I'll get all the stuff for it and literally never play it myself...

#60 7 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Yeah, it seems like they only bring out Bomberman when a new console comes out and they can toss one together - they did it with that weird version for the 360 too - but I just really want to play a new version of it, and I think I'm willing to suck it up and pay for it because of that. The local 8 player game sounds incredible, although knowing how I roll, I'll get all the stuff for it and literally never play it myself...

So is it the normal style of Bomberman or that weird, open arena Bomberman 64 style? I'm not dissing Bomberman 64 - I actually really like that version!

#61 7 years ago

there are versions outside of the pc engine, famicom and super nintendo/famicom worth talking about? what color is the sky in your world?

there was actually a version of bomberman released in japan for the N64 that was like the tradition game I've known and loved. it was pretty good, but still not as good as the originals (at least where my friends and I all agree

#62 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

there are versions outside of the pc engine, famicom and super nintendo/famicom worth talking about? what color is the sky in your world?
there was actually a version of bomberman released in japan for the N64 that was like the tradition game I've known and loved. it was pretty good, but still not as good as the originals (at least where my friends and I all agree

Yeah, Super Bomberman 3 for Super Famicom is my favorite...obviously the draw of the new one will be online multiplayer, which is probably fun.

#63 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

Yeah Bomberman 64 was rad! Throwing bombs in eight directions, holding the button to make the bombs bigger (but not too long that they explode in your hands!)... I loved that game, but it seems like I was in the minority.

Goddamn I had some good times with my friends, the 64 and shitty Mexican brick weed.

#64 7 years ago

there were two bombermans on 64, one is a lot better than the other. lets go to the retro gaming thread tho!

#65 7 years ago

there were two bombermans on 64, one is a lot better than the other. lets go to the retro gaming thread tho!

There are actually 4! Bomberman 64, B64: Second Attack, Bomberman Hero, and a Japanese exclusive Bomberman Arcade (playable with translation patch on Everdrive!

#66 7 years ago

I've been out of the whole game console thing for a LONG time. Pretty much since N64 + Xbox days. I was always a huge fan of the Mario & Zelda series'.

That said, this past xmas I thought it was time to relive the magic and introduce Nintendo to my 4 year old, and santa picked up a WiiU for us!

This game console is pretty freakin sweet. 12 player Mario kart is bad ass. Son and I having a great time playing Mario 3D world and Yoshis wooly world too. I'm not into the hardcore games that Xbox and PS4 offer, I was a big online pc gamer back in the day so my theory is if I'm gonna go hardcore, I'll go back to PC gaming.

That all said, will Mario kart 8 deluxe and the new bomberman be available for WiiU anyone know?

Bomberman was an ultimate favorite of mine; from the days of turbo graphics bomberman to N64 4-player beer drinking games bomberman

Also, any game suggestions for a dad + 4 year old? Thinking Mario party may be up next but also thinking super Mario smash bros too. Also thought about Mario paper splash but I was disappointed with how un kid friendly super Mario U was, that paper splash may be in the same boat. 3D world + Yoshi = best ultimate little kid games.

#67 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

That all said, will Mario kart 8 deluxe and the new bomberman be available for WiiU anyone know?

Zelda Breath of the Wild is the last physical Wii U game. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe isn't going to be that different than the one you've got....some new modes and characters. Super Bomberman R is a Switch exclusive.

#68 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Also, any game suggestions for a dad + 4 year old? Thinking Mario party may be up next but also thinking super Mario smash bros too. Also thought about Mario paper splash but I was disappointed with how un kid friendly super Mario U was, that paper splash may be in the same boat. 3D world + Yoshi = best ultimate little kid games.

I was a sucker who bought Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival when it was full price. Now it's like $13 new with two Amiibos at Gamestop. Anyways, it's not the most exciting game in the world for a 44 year old, but I could see it being really delightful to a 4 year old. It's like Mario Party but with Animal Crossing and without the mini games. Yes, without the mini games. But oh, it's adorable! And you might find some excitement at the Stock Market aspect of the game, holding on to bells (I think? Been a while), buying low, selling high.

#69 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Zelda Breath of the Wild is the last physical Wii U game. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe isn't going to be that different than the one you've got....some new modes and characters. Super Bomberman R is a Switch exclusive.

last physical nintendo produced game. shovel-ware will still be thrown at ya for awhile im sure

#70 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Bomberman was an ultimate favorite of mine; from the days of turbo graphics bomberman to N64 4-player beer drinking games bomberman

Bomberman R and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe are Switch exclusive.

As for good games with a four year old, if you liked the Toad levels in Mario World 3D, Captain Toad is a blast. The updated Ducktales is also awesome and cheap, and the Lego games are fun for both adults and kids too.

last physical nintendo produced game. shovel-ware will still be thrown at ya for awhile im sure

Yeah, there are a few more games still slated to come out for it...

I'm almost tempted to try to start collecting all the Wii U games. I feel like in a few years, it will be quite the collectible system as it is WAY better than people gave it credit for, but it does have a bunch of ... not so great games too.

#71 7 years ago

as a long time gamer and someone who grew up with Nintendo I try to give them the benefit of the doubt and I bought a Wii, then a Wii U but the games and the whole console seems like its geared to toddlers and preteens, I still like the OG stuff but nintendo can't compete with Sony and Microsoft. JMO

#72 7 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I'm almost tempted to try to start collecting all the Wii U games. I feel like in a few years, it will be quite the collectible system as it is WAY better than people gave it credit for, but it does have a bunch of ... not so great games too.

I have more Wii U games than PS3 & X360 combined...but "ALL"? I don't quite get the "completionist" collectors. Most games on any given system suck...and no one has times to replay all the games they actually like. What's the point in having everything?

#73 7 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

as a long time gamer and someone who grew up with Nintendo I try to give them the benefit of the doubt and I bought a Wii, then a Wii U but the games and the whole console seems like its geared to toddlers and preteens, I still like the OG stuff but nintendo can't compete with Sony and Microsoft. JMO

This is exactly why I bought the WiiU because I have a four-year-old. However, Nintendo always had the best drinking games. Me and my friends spent countless hours on party nights playing four player Nintendo 64. Anyone remember snowboard kids? As silly as that game sounds, it was the ultimate drinking game. Not to mention bomberman, Goldeneye, and forsaken were other greats.

#74 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I have more Wii U games than PS3 & X360 combined...but "ALL"? I don't quite get the "completionist" collectors. Most games on any given system suck...and no one has times to replay all the games they actually like. What's the point in having everything?

That's my issue. I like the thrill of the hunt, but I completed some stuff in the past, like a longbox Playstation 1 collection, and... I have no idea why.

#75 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I've been out of the whole game console thing for a LONG time. Pretty much since N64 + Xbox days. I was always a huge fan of the Mario & Zelda series'.
That said, this past xmas I thought it was time to relive the magic and introduce Nintendo to my 4 year old, and santa picked up a WiiU for us!
This game console is pretty freakin sweet. 12 player Mario kart is bad ass. Son and I having a great time playing Mario 3D world and Yoshis wooly world too. I'm not into the hardcore games that Xbox and PS4 offer, I was a big online pc gamer back in the day so my theory is if I'm gonna go hardcore, I'll go back to PC gaming.

We've had a Wii U since day one. Have a dozen or so games for it. The system is awesome, probably one of Nintendo's best. We've had a blast with it for over 2 years. What's great about Nintendo systems is local co-op games.

#76 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I play co-op Lego Start Wars with my 3 year old on the PS4 and he LOVES it. At first I thought there was no way he'd be able to deal with all the buttons and switching characters and whatnot but he picked it up like a champ.

#77 7 years ago

GameStop just lost my business permanently. I went out to get in line for the midnight release and I was first in line. I had called the other day and they said they would have stock available for people without pre-orders. Only a few though, so get there early because it's first come first serve. After waiting outside for about 15 minutes and seeing a sign on the door that says they have a couple of both kinds available I decided to peek my head in just to doublecheck.

The employee says the manager decided to sell them to people who just came in throughout the day. I drove a good distance, and was going to wait in line and play by the rules, and they just sold them to people who walked in the store. Never again. Not a dime.

#78 7 years ago

That's messed up dude. Definitely complain to someone.

#79 7 years ago

I sent corporate an email but mostly because I was SUUUUUUUPER agitated about it. I expect them to say "we're sorry about this experience" and then do nothing.

It's not like I'd use a coupon anymore if they gave me one haha

#80 7 years ago
Quoted from GotAQuestion:

GameStop just lost my business permanently. I went out to get in line for the midnight release and I was first in line. I had called the other day and they said they would have stock available for people without pre-orders. Only a few though, so get there early because it's first come first serve. After waiting outside for about 15 minutes and seeing a sign on the door that says they have a couple of both kinds available I decided to peek my head in just to doublecheck.
The employee says the manager decided to sell them to people who just came in throughout the day. I drove a good distance, and was going to wait in line and play by the rules, and they just sold them to people who walked in the store. Never again. Not a dime.

If they sold them today ...like, people walked out the door with them today ...they broke street date and will be fined.

#81 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

It wouldn't make business sense. Nintendo is the only company that makes good profit on hardware sales. By keeping all their games exclusive, they drive their own hardware sales. They wouldn't make enough in software sales on other consoles to justify cannibalizing their own hardware sales. Look what happened to Sega when they went 3rd party. It hasn't gone super well for them.
From Mashable in July 2016, "The share price increase has sent Nintendo's market capitalization — the value of the company based on its stock price — to more than $40 billion. That's more than one of its rivals in the video game industry, Sony, which is around $38 billion."
Nintendo isn't missing any boats. They're doing just fine. They sell less hardware, but they're more profitable in the end. I'm sure they'd like to sell more, like any business would, but not at the expense of overall profits.

If you look up the stats, they don't really sell 'less hardware' either. In the past 15 years they've sold more systems than Microsoft or Sony... (counting handhelds). There's this big illusion out there that Nintendo doesn't make money on hardware but like you said, they're not missing anything. They know exactly what they're doing.

Another interesting point about hardware is, Nintendo profits on all their hardware, Sony and Microsoft sell at a loss for years when they first launch their systems (so that folks will buy the games, which have a high profit markup of course). So when Nintendo sells a console, it represents profit, when Sony sells a console it represents potential profit and a loss on the actual hardware sale.

I'd like to point out too that their timing on the "Switch" is perhaps the best timed release of all time. They're about to re-write what making money in the video game industry means.... and then after they make all that money, they're going to make it all over again in a few months when they release perhaps the greatest Mario Brothers game ever... just in time for Christmas.

Meanwhile Sony and Microsoft will continue to make money with their systems that are two or three years old... Nintendo didn't do phenomenal with the Wii "u" but they've set themselves up and perfectly timed this new system to burn up the market.

#82 7 years ago

Helpful heads up...don't buy the Insignia case. It's straight garbage. Way too big and your Switch will slide around in there. Terrible.

IMG_20170303_014901 (resized).jpgIMG_20170303_014901 (resized).jpg

#83 7 years ago

Sweet

How do you like it?

#84 7 years ago

wow - switch looks nice. I'm getting the same one. Black looks nice. Thanks for the heads up on the case.

#85 7 years ago

I walked into my local walmart at 8:30 this morning and bought both the mult-colored switch and the special edition zelda bundle. I thought there would be line or something, but no. I think I may have been the first person to buy one. They didn't even have them on the shelve or any accessories. It took 3 associates before I found somebody that even knew what I was talking about.

#86 7 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Sweet
How do you like it?

I've actually had it since Wednesday. It's pretty dang cool. I'll post longer impressions tonight. Some odd choices in design, some genius. It's quite a marvel to see Zelda running on a handheld.

#87 7 years ago

One of the women who works in my office just picked up two at the Walmart in Neptune, NJ this AM.

#88 7 years ago

Target has special edition Zelda's in stock and said there will be more switch units for sale on Sunday.

#89 7 years ago

Just picked up my switch from a local walmart with breath of the wild. It's beautiful. I can see how nice it will be for road trips with the family, from the projector in the livingroom to the tv to the car in a simple fluid motion. Have to get an extra dock!

#90 7 years ago

Went to 3 stores today. None in stock anywhere.

#91 7 years ago
Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

If you look up the stats, they don't really sell 'less hardware' either. In the past 15 years they've sold more systems than Microsoft or Sony... (counting handhelds). There's this big illusion out there that Nintendo doesn't make money on hardware but like you said, they're not missing anything. They know exactly what they're doing.
Another interesting point about hardware is, Nintendo profits on all their hardware, Sony and Microsoft sell at a loss for years when they first launch their systems (so that folks will buy the games, which have a high profit markup of course). So when Nintendo sells a console, it represents profit, when Sony sells a console it represents potential profit and a loss on the actual hardware sale.
I'd like to point out too that their timing on the "Switch" is perhaps the best timed release of all time. They're about to re-write what making money in the video game industry means.... and then after they make all that money, they're going to make it all over again in a few months when they release perhaps the greatest Mario Brothers game ever... just in time for Christmas.
Meanwhile Sony and Microsoft will continue to make money with their systems that are two or three years old... Nintendo didn't do phenomenal with the Wii "u" but they've set themselves up and perfectly timed this new system to burn up the market.

Well it's a good thing they're profiting on the hardware since they didn't make any games for it, lol.

I did buy one today with Zelda. We'll see how I like it. Every Zelda game always gets 9 or 10's, but it seems like I'm always bored out of my mind playing it. I remember having to stop playing wind waker because I kept falling asleep while boating.

#92 7 years ago

Nintendo Switch "Zelda"

IMG_8791.JPGIMG_8791.JPG

#93 7 years ago

went to walmart last night. Saw BOTW there. Decided to buy it, and I can return the one I preordered from amazon. Checked it out on the website when I got home. They didnt' even ship it yet? WTF. At the very least they should have mailed it on the release date. What's the point of doing a preorder if they don't even attempt to get it out in a timely manner. On the plus side I could cancel my order on amazon.

#94 7 years ago
Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

Actually, the Wii U originally sold at a loss initially like every other system. They also didn't have any games in the top ten of 2016. They need to really get 3rd party developers and I don't think they'll be able to do it having an underpowered system. They are also always behind on online play and app development. It'll be interesting to see how this system straddles the mobile vs console play. I'm concerned it doesn't have enough juice for a true mobile experience and it's seem way underpowered compared to Xbox and PS4 which are going 4K HDR.

There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/switch-and-zelda-special/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.