4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Patzik
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

comet switch matrix (resized).png
    Screenshot 2019-11-27 at 00.59.10 (resized).png
    #1 4 years ago

I have a Williams comet, and am having an issue with a switch. I only got this pinball a week now and have repaired a few items and it was working ok.
    Just now a problem came up that I didn't have before. When the ball activates the comet ramp upper switch (at the end of the ramp) the machine also think the outlane switch is activated (I think the right outlane). When I keep the switch of the right outlane activated the switch of the comet upper ramp works fine.

I disconnected J8 and J10 and when I connect J8-4 and J10-6 (the comet ramp upper) pins all works fine so it seems to be in the switches/wiring.

The reverse is not the case, so when activating the right outlane, the comet ramp upper switch does not get activated.

I don't fully understand the working of the switch matrix and how the diodes come into play, but I measured the diodes in circuit and they seem to be ok. There also doesn't seem to be a short, but the switches are connected right after each other.

Any suggestions are more than welcome!

Screenshot 2019-11-27 at 00.59.10 (resized).pngScreenshot 2019-11-27 at 00.59.10 (resized).png
    #2 4 years ago

Just one more thing to clarify, with right outlane I mean the "right drain spcl" switch.

#3 4 years ago

Looks like you mean switch 31 registers when 28 is hit. Since they are in the same column, inspect the green/yellow wire on each switch in this same column. On some of the switches in the column, there will be 2 green wires that are on the same switch. That 2nd wire will be the daisy chain to the next switch. Gently pull on the green wire(s) at each switch to see if one is broken. Good chance that if you checked all the switches in that column in the switch test, you will see at least one switch is not working.

comet switch matrix (resized).pngcomet switch matrix (resized).png

#4 4 years ago

This might help, unless you’ve already seen this

#5 4 years ago

A couple of things. First, check to see if any other switches are closed when this happens. If so, and if they form a rectangle on the matrix, then it is a shorted diode like in the video posted by the last poster.

If not, then it could be a short to ground somewhere in that column. You should inspect every other switch in the column to see if any of the wires or lugs are touching other things that they shouldn’t be.

If all looks well, then perhaps replace the capacitors on any switches that have them in the column. You could test the caps by selectively removing them one switch at a time and seeing if the problem goes away, but you might as well replace them if you are doing that because caps tend to go on older games so it can’t hurt to give it new ones.

1 month later
    #6 4 years ago

Thanks for your help, my credit/ball display is not working so that makes it hard to troubleshoot the switches.
    I did however finally found out the slam tilt switch (7) was stuck. I had worked on the coindoor and got some cable in the the way of the switch. Freeing up the switch fixed it. But I guess I need to check the diodes on the 4 switches, as I understand one of them is shorting.

Thank you all for the help

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/switch-also-activates-another-switch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.