(Topic ID: 330231)

Mousin' Around Switch #46 Not Working...Wiring Issue?

By Cobradvs

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Cobradvs
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20230303-094234 (resized).png
PXL_20230128_171559318~2 (resized).jpg
D3FB27C5-A20E-4B6A-AF9A-E54857A38E66 (resized).jpeg
Switch 46 pt 2 (resized).png
Switch 46 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cobradvs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

My game is (and has since I've had it) throwing an error at Switch #46 "Right Ramp Exit". Upon recent inspection, it seemed a solder had come loose. I resoldered it, but still nothing. Wondering if the diode is soldered in the correct orientation, or if the colored wires are soldered on the wrong sides, or if maybe the switch is bad? Any suggestions welcome. Picture below shows the switch and the playfield picture is to reference the exact switch I'm talking about.
Switch 46 (resized).pngSwitch 46 (resized).pngSwitch 46 pt 2 (resized).pngSwitch 46 pt 2 (resized).png

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Easy enough to check wiring in the schematic, but if you think you got it soldered back in the right place (you likely did), you need to run switch test first. Likely just a bad switch.
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Williams_System_9_-_11#Accessing_Bookkeeping.2C_Settings.2C_and_Diagnostic_Modes

Quoted from poppapin:

Switch should be easy enough to check with a meter.

Ran a switch test...nothing seemed to happen. I resoldered all joints on the switch too. I think I'm convinced it's a bad switch. The part # of this switch is 5647-12133-04, which appears to be discontinued everywhere except some guy on eBay selling them for $30... How do I go about determining an acceptable alternate? I don't mind bending the wire form to fit the game, just want it to work the same.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from phishrace:

If you look at the pic of 5647-12133-04 on Marco, that's not the switch on your game. Your game has a mini-micro switch and factory was a standard micro switch. Someone has substituted another switch. Mini micro switch part numbers start with 5747-12693-**. Search Marco for that and find one with an actuator similar to the one in your game.

Looks like plenty of similar options on Marco I can find. Thanks for the help! I'll post an update once I try to install the new switch.

#8 1 year ago

Just got my new switch installed...it's still not working. Can any Mousin' owner take a picture of this switch on their machine? I'd like to make sure this is wired correctly.

#9 1 year ago

Well, my "check switch 46" error went away so maybe it is working...as far as I can tell, it has no audio cue in the game so I can't really tell if it's doing anything or not. Going into switch edge test, it does not register. No ideas currently...

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Here’s what mine looks like. Similar to your first pic.
[quoted image]

Thank you! Does this switch do anything in the game when you play? Does it trigger a noise? Don't suppose could you check it switch edge test to see if/how it registers?

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Yes, it triggers a noise, and awards a cheese letter.
In switch test it registers. Right ramp made, switch 46

Strange... Then what does this switch do in your game? In mine this one makes a noise and awards a cheese letter. I believe this is the left ramp made switch but the right and left lanes both wind up here so I'm not sure.

PXL_20230128_171559318~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20230128_171559318~2 (resized).jpg

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from djblouw:

The upper switch (#46 in question) registers the right ramp made. The lower one (#37) registers the left ramp made. It works in conjunction with the ramp enter switch (it sees one, then the other).
For your switch issue, have you traced continuity from the switch to the board?

I have not check continuity...i could try that. Oddly tho it seems my switch 37 is registering regardless of which entry switch is activated. Maybe the system will default to activating 37 if 46 isn't activated even if right entry ramp is activated... But my switch error doesn't exist anymore so I won't put too much stake in this but I will check continuity and troubleshoot some more.

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from Rikoshay:

probably way off here, but the first pic you posted 'looks' like the positive leg of the diode is shorting the two wires out where they are soldered to the micro switch?

It does look that way but there is a small space between them. At least that's how I remember it. Regardless when I resoldered it there definitely is a gap now.

3 weeks later
#20 1 year ago

Future me here... My switch 46 error came back so I decided to give this another go and the solution was so stupid, it's almost embarrassing. First off, the new switch works fine and is wired correctly. I used the actuator (arm) from the switch I took off and when I put it on the new switch I put it on the tabs circled in blue. Because it's so close to the actual switch, the arm wasn't actually pressing the button down when the ball ran over it. I moved it back to the tabs circled in red and adjust the arm slightly and now it works perfectly. It's always the simplest things...

Screenshot_20230303-094234 (resized).pngScreenshot_20230303-094234 (resized).png
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Camarillo, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 23.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Sterling, VA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cobradvs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/switch-46-not-workingwiring-issue?tu=cobradvs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.