Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by swinks
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P1100497_copy.jpg
    P1100496_copy.jpg
    P1100495_copy.jpg
    P1100501_copy.jpg
    P1100502_copy.jpg
    P1100498_copy.jpg
    P1100490_copy.jpg
    P1100503_copy.jpg
    P1100491_copy.jpg
    P1100492_copy.jpg
    P1100494_copy.jpg
    Stern Apron Light Bar 2.png
    Stern Apron Light Bar 3.png
    Stern Apron Light Bar 1.png
    P1090629 copy.jpg
    P1090630 copy.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

I have noticed on some of the Sterns that some of thew spot lights are a little big and ugly, so here is an attempt for an affordable alternative.

It is a component I am calling the Stern Apron Light Bar. I did one version with some leds and the bar assembly fits nicely, but the leds did not give out enough light coverage. So I modelled up an alternative using Comet's adhesive backed 7 x led strip that can be fastened inside the light bar. The Version 2 LB no longer has a front cover and has some angled sections allowing light to be distributed straight, and at 15 degrees to both sides. I did snip the 1 of the 7 leds off the strip to keep the design compact and shortened the design by a few mm's.

Ordering - simply order from Shapeways in the colour you would like

Fitting
    - the light bar housing is 3D printed so it can be give 1 x coat of clear to gloss it up
    - once dry fit the apron led comet strip
    - feed the led strip wire through the centre pass through hole.
    - apply double sided tape to the top of the light bar that will stick to the underside of the apron.
    - there are 3 holes in the back that you can tap and fasten a screw through (though with the nylon you could probably self tap using the appropriate screw) - this screw applies pressure to the inside of the apron as a backup to keep the bar in place.
    - stick the light bar to the underside of the apron and then lock in the screw to the iside of the apron.
    - connect the 2 wires from the led comet light strip to a 6.3 volt light source - spot lights / game feature and good to go.

photos are of Version 1.

here is the link to the led strips, alternatively you could use two 3 led strips and hook up to different features or use 2 different colours.
    http://www.cometpinball.com/6-3-V-Plug-Play-Strips-Comet-Pinball-p/6.3vsmdstrips.htm

P1090628 copy.jpgP1090628 copy.jpg

Underneath
    P1090629 copy.jpgP1090629 copy.jpg

Front
    P1090630 copy.jpgP1090630 copy.jpg

#2 9 years ago

here is the Version 2 using the led strip.

http://www.shapeways.com/product/LPWSRM3UA/stern-apron-spot-light-bar?li=search-results-1&optionId=56692757

Stern Apron Light Bar 1.pngStern Apron Light Bar 1.png

underneath
    Stern Apron Light Bar 2.pngStern Apron Light Bar 2.png

front
    Stern Apron Light Bar 3.pngStern Apron Light Bar 3.png

#3 9 years ago

Cool. I'll try one

#4 9 years ago

This looks great. Would it be possible to design one compatible with the Stern metal aprons?

#5 9 years ago

I am getting a metal apron soon and can then design one to suit that.

#6 9 years ago

ya those spotlights on Metallica sling shot plastic are ridiculous. I removed mine, can't really notice any difference. My apron is metal and powder coated candy purple and has interactive lights put in by Pinball Refinery. The lights are 2 square things installed under where you grab to lift the playfield. I believe this bar will clear these lights where they are attached. What about when we have to lift the playfield up? Is these light bars have the room, or its gonna be tricky to do? I will be interested, but I may need purple so it matches the apron. I will be following your progress on this. I will be in on one for sure if it not gonna interefer with the LED's currently there.

#7 9 years ago

The flipper lightstrips at PinballBulbs (link below) have been available for a few years now. They have the exact same effect as this "light bar" but they are invisible. I don't like how the light bar protrudes out of the apron into you field of vision.

http://pinballbulbs.com/products/flipper-illumination-no-solder-led-light-strip-purpleblue-segastern-samwhitestar

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

The flipper lightstrips at PinballBulbs (link below) have been available for a few years now. They have the exact same effect as this "light bar" but they are invisible. I don't like how the light bar protrudes out of the apron into you field of vision.
    http://pinballbulbs.com/products/flipper-illumination-no-solder-led-light-strip-purpleblue-segastern-samwhitestar

good point, didn't know about those, but agree serves the same purpose

Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

ya those spotlights on Metallica sling shot plastic are ridiculous. I removed mine, can't really notice any difference. My apron is metal and powder coated candy purple and has interactive lights put in by Pinball Refinery. The lights are 2 square things installed under where you grab to lift the playfield. I believe this bar will clear these lights where they are attached. What about when we have to lift the playfield up? Is these light bars have the room, or its gonna be tricky to do? I will be interested, but I may need purple so it matches the apron. I will be following your progress on this. I will be in on one for sure if it not gonna interefer with the LED's currently there.

the light bar drops down about 11mm below the current edge of the apron so you can still put your hand under to lift and lower the playfield. Purple will be an option. I will report back in a few weeks time once I get the metal apron from the US to Aus.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

I had one of these strips with the kit I ordered for my TZ. The only problem was that when it was installed i could see the lights in the DMD and it was annoying. I just removed it.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from Cobra:

I had one of these strips with the kit I ordered for my TZ. The only problem was that when it was installed i could see the lights in the DMD and it was annoying. I just removed it.

Yes, but that problem is limited to people six feet tall and over
    I would assume this would have the same issue.

#11 9 years ago

on the Bally / WMS apron the front face is perpendicular to the playfield so effectively shining the lights at 6 degrees directly towards the back of the playfield / DMD. Where as the Stern apron is approximately perpendicular to the ground so shining towards the front / mid / part of the back of the playfield. Inside the light bar the led mounting surface would have approximately 2 leds facing up the centre of the playfield, 2 leds on the lhs shining light to the lhs side of the playfield as the angle is set at 15 degrees and likewise on the rhs side.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

on the Bally / WMS apron the front face is perpendicular to the playfield so effectively shining the lights at 6 degrees directly towards the back of the playfield / DMD. Where as the Stern apron is approximately perpendicular to the ground so shining towards the front / mid / part of the back of the playfield. Inside the light bar the led mounting surface would have approximately 2 leds facing up the centre of the playfield, 2 leds on the lhs shining light to the lhs side of the playfield as the angle is set at 15 degrees and likewise on the rhs side.

hmmmmm, sounds interesting. Sounds like it might actually be different then the PinballBulbs ones if the LED's are facing different directions. I'd like to see a video of yours once they are finished so I can see what it looks like on the playfield.

3 months later
    #13 8 years ago

thought best to add some pics of proto 1 of the stern apron light bar, which has 2 of my 7 colour switchable RGB boards allowing you to mix up the colours on your playfield (red, green, blue, yellow, cyan, magenta and white), this one is available for purchase for $30 AUD if anyone is interested otherwise off to ebay. The shot with the light only is in the garage totally black and the camera has changed the white light to a blue / purple.

The spotlight bar comes with screw for the front cover and in the back for fastening as well as 2 boards wired up and the way they are designed it doesn't matter about the polarity when hooking up to a 6.3vdc source. you could hook it up to a feature or run all the time and even have each side shining different colours.

P1100490 copy.jpgP1100490 copy.jpgP1100491 copy.jpgP1100491 copy.jpgP1100492 copy.jpgP1100492 copy.jpgP1100494 copy.jpgP1100494 copy.jpg

one more show the swinks rgb board that is inside the spot light bar

P1100503 copy.jpgP1100503 copy.jpg

#14 8 years ago

thought best to add some pics of proto 2 of the stern apron light bar, which has a 6 led strip (stickie back) fastened to the inside of the spot light bar. You can get these leds from Comet. This one is available for purchase for $30 AUD if anyone is interested otherwise off to ebay. The shot with the light only is in the garage totally black with the strip being blue, thought I had white but don't but a very easy change over.

This doesn't have a front cover and because of 6 leds throws a little more light and slightly more slim lined that proto 1

this version is available on Shapeways as well, as I chose not to use the proto 1 design as I need to wait for the dollar to improve before I buy some more switchable rgb boards.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/LPWSRM3UA/stern-apron-spot-light-bar

P1100498_copy.jpgP1100498_copy.jpg

P1100502_copy.jpgP1100502_copy.jpg

P1100501_copy.jpgP1100501_copy.jpg

#15 8 years ago

a few more of proto 2

P1100495_copy.jpgP1100495_copy.jpg

P1100496_copy.jpgP1100496_copy.jpg

P1100497_copy.jpgP1100497_copy.jpg

#16 8 years ago

a question was asked about fastening - basically there is a screw that tightens up against the back inside edge of the apron, there is allowance for 3 screws for extra security. I will tap and fit screws to all 3 holes.

#17 8 years ago

the rgb spot light version has been sold but the led strip version is still available

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.