• 467 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by swinks
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you pay in the ball park of $800 AUD for ball inactive mech / mod ?”

• Yes - if it is ball interractive and game play enhancing I am willing to support 22 votes
    35%
  • No - it is just too much, sorry. 25 votes
    40%
  • Just interested and want to see where this goes. 15 votes
    24%

(62 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

26A144B3-5881-41AC-8FA0-44ED4CFDB89B_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
34177ED3-B0C8-4BF5-A225-09533C0700A4_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
E20A1151-771E-4442-98DF-9F644AFEA2D5_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
27F9914A-8646-4FFE-B31F-837F9E7CD9E3_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
B6804277-C95E-43AB-9D78-E5BD9820D1A2_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
DSC00258 (resized).JPG
DSC00256 (resized).JPG
DSC00192 (resized).JPG
DSC00190 (resized).JPG
19616B9F-868E-4CC2-92D9-FABB47890073_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
38934ACE-FB69-43E5-B608-ABD39EE1A23E_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
5C62923D-17DE-43F5-B414-EA117FA4B9B7_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
039AA22B-EA51-44D9-AD82-CFD30E3CFFE2_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
5711E481-4F7F-4EDE-848A-72826B985B6B_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
46A7CB7A-813A-4C15-9DEE-A5DD64E7FD3F_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
Indicator & Rule Options (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 467 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 10.
#301 4 months ago

great to hear eyeamred2u and based on our conversations I will reorganise the manual a little, add a few more photos and improve some minor details. Look out for Rev4 Manual coming soon.

thanks for constructive feedback and working through the minor issues with me

enjoy the mod and interested to hear what your kids thought as well....

#302 4 months ago
Quoted from swinks:

great to hear eyeamred2u and based on our conversations I will reorganise the manual a little, add a few more photos and improve some minor details. Look out for Rev4 Manual coming soon.
thanks for constructive feedback and working through the minor issues with me
enjoy the mod and interested to hear what your kids thought as well....

I am still waiting to play...lol

#303 4 months ago

Can you add my name in your list?

#304 4 months ago

Update 18-1-22

Batch 3
- Batch 3 will be complete this week which is made up of 12 kits as well as 1 kit as a spare if anything fails in the assembly stage - if not this kit is spoken for as well
- servos and servo boards arrived and already soldered all the pins in and ready for setting tomorrow
- everything else is pre-assembled and laid out for programming, final assembly, final testing and boxing over the next 2 days
- I will be in touch with the Batch 3 guys over the next 3 days.

Batch 4
- if the spares can be used 1 kit may go out next week with Batch 3 units.
- 10 more positions are available BUT until I get some more interest I will not proceed with this just yet but working on the integration kit project

Integration Kit
- I am working with stumblor to test and determine if we can tap into the switches and design a separate PCB to take those in-lane switch signals to develop an add-on mod that will enable the proton guns to be a integrated and earned feature within the game.
- This is not a guarantee but we are hopeful.
- The goal is to have a selection from 6 different sets of rules to pick (from but all players would play the same set of rules). 1 being the easiest to 6 being the most challenging rule set.
- hopefully this will come to life.

Cheers

Jady

#305 4 months ago

Just sent a heads up message to everyone in Batch 3 with the price breakdown again.

Please let me know if you are no longer wanting it as do not want to assembly front covers and box up if you are not committed.

Cheers

Jady

#306 4 months ago

Update - 20-1-22

- All 13 Proton Gun mods and a Snackbar Mod are complete, tested and boxed - 2 guys are getting 2 kits each so they will go into a larger box.
- messages will be sent to everyone soon.
- packages will be sent once payment comes through.

cheers

Jady

IMG_7373 (resized).JPG
#307 4 months ago

All messages have been sent to all Batch 3 people - please let me know where you are at with the mod.

cheers

Jady

#308 4 months ago
Quoted from swinks:

Update 9-1-22
- drilled and tapped all professionally printed parts
- clear coated most of the components - 7 sets of guns to clear coat
- 2/3 wiring kits completed - proton gun lighting kits left to do
- then need to add wire fittings to power supply
- need to cut and clean up all machine steel pivot shafts
- aiming for this 3rd batch to be completed next weekend
- short by 2 foot pedals hopefully come this week
- servos and servo triggers board due mid week
- Batch 1 - all kits and gun replacements have been delivered
- Batch 2 - all kits with new version guns have all been delivered except for wcbrandes
- I will be looking into alternative postage options early this week with Fedex and DHL as have another kit in Batch 3 going to Canada
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That

Quoted from swinks:

Update - 20-1-22
- All 13 Proton Gun mods and a Snackbar Mod are complete, tested and boxed - 2 guys are getting 2 kits each so they will go into a larger box.
- messages will be sent to everyone soon.
- packages will be sent once payment comes through.
cheers
Jady
[quoted image]

Such a cool sight - nice work!

#309 4 months ago
Quoted from swinks:

Update 18-1-22
- I am working with stumblor to test and determine if we can tap into the switches and design a separate PCB to take those in-lane switch signals to develop an add-on mod that will enable the proton guns to be a integrated and earned feature within the game.

Looking forward to it mate. A great mod you've built here, super tight attention to detail and build quality, which is a bit of a Swinks hallmark! Excited to start work on building the integration.

#310 4 months ago
Quoted from stumblor:

Looking forward to it mate. A great mod you've built here, super tight attention to detail and build quality, which is a bit of a Swinks hallmark! Excited to start work on building the integration.

Thanks mate

hope to finally have some time to lift the hood and do some switch tests, been insanely busy - thanks for your patience

I did finish a test rig for you, chat soon

#311 4 months ago

5 kits have been paid for and posted out today

#312 3 months ago

Update - 22-1-22

I have uploaded all the 3d printed parts to Shapeways so customers can buy spares or customise certain parts etc.

I did get the kit parts from Zelta3d which do a equal quality job to Shapeways but buying in batches of 10-12 kits worth does give me a better price especially for the small pieces but they are available here while Shapeways offers the shop ability.

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?q=swinksgbproton&sort=newest

BIG NOTE: - I will not be supporting anyone that wants to make a kit themselves - this is just for the customers that already have a kit and want to replace parts or customise parts.

3d printed parts (resized).png

#313 3 months ago

Update 22-1-22

Latest Manual is now available for installation - will suit all 36 kits sent out and future kits.

I received some constructive feedback to tweak some schematics and explanations - which I have done and placed all the schematics in one section instead of flicking all around the place.

Manual Rev4

https://swinks.com.au/manuals

#314 3 months ago
Quoted from swinks:

Update - 22-1-22
I have uploaded all the 3d printed parts to Shapeways so customers can buy spares or customise certain parts etc.
I did get the kit parts from Zelta3d which do a equal quality job to Shapeways but buying in batches of 10-12 kits worth does give me a better price especially for the small pieces but they are available here while Shapeways offers the shop ability.
https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?q=swinksgbproton&sort=newest
BIG NOTE: - I will not be supporting anyone that wants to make a kit themselves - this is just for the customers that already have a kit and want to replace parts or customise parts.
[quoted image]

Awesome! Thank you

#315 3 months ago

Nice update on the manual.

Really like the Spare part availability.

Ken

#316 3 months ago

Update 23-1-22

- as mentioned 5 of the 13 kits (Batch 3) have been sent last Friday with all tracking links sent out to those people.
- another 4 kits have been paid for over the weekend and will be sent tomorrow (Monday) and tracking links sent to those people tomorrow afternoon.
- and just sent reminders out to remaining 4 people to pay otherwise on the 28th Jan these become available for purchase if there is no communication at all - I already have 1 person already waiting and hoping. Reminders sent to haiderdj NYG Acejedi Ghiandalf

Where to from here....
- I have made 36 kits and at the moment will be capping it at 55 kits for at least the first half a year = so 19 more kits available
- I will keep taking names and I need at least 5 people per batch of 10 to activate me buying the 3d printed parts, servos and servo boards, foot pedals and power supplies for that batch of 10 - - - basically the expensive parts. I will not start until there is at least 5 people on the wait list.

Integration kit ....
- will then mean the protons have to be earned and then have timed use - aiming for 6 different rules / mode types to select from
- since I do not have enough people to activate the next batch of proton guns I will investigate this add on upgrade kit and start doing some tests and then make a start if we have some success with the tests. Like I have said in the past this is not a guarantee but am wanting to do this.

#317 3 months ago
Quoted from swinks:

Update 23-1-22
- as mentioned 5 of the 13 kits (Batch 3) have been sent last Friday with all tracking links sent out to those people.
- another 4 kits have been paid for over the weekend and will be sent tomorrow (Monday) and tracking links sent to those people tomorrow afternoon.
- and just sent reminders out to remaining 4 people to pay otherwise on the 28th Jan these become available for purchase if there is no communication at all - I already have 1 person already waiting and hoping. Reminders sent to haiderdj NYG Acejedi Ghiandalf
Where to from here....
- I have made 36 kits and at the moment will be capping it at 55 kits for at least the first half a year = so 19 more kits available
- I will keep taking names and I need at least 5 people per batch of 10 to activate me buying the 3d printed parts, servos and servo boards, foot pedals and power supplies for that batch of 10 - - - basically the expensive parts. I will not start until there is at least 5 people on the wait list.
Integration kit ....
- will then mean the protons have to be earned and then have timed use - aiming for 6 different rules / mode types to select from
- since I do not have enough people to activate the next batch of proton guns I will investigate this add on upgrade kit and start doing some tests and then make a start if we have some success with the tests. Like I have said in the past this is not a guarantee but am wanting to do this.

I am all in on this integration feature, if it can be done.

Ken

#318 3 months ago

Just finally found time to install this mod.
Played two games and didn’t save one ball lol!
Need more practice!
Jady Thanks for this quality mod.
freddy

5A7C5F9A-89E5-49E7-892A-6E345C10FB0A (resized).jpegCFD8025D-E09E-4B29-9CD7-E790C8628519 (resized).jpeg
#319 3 months ago
Quoted from freddy:

Just finally found time to install this mod.
Played two games and didn’t save one ball lol!
Need more practice!
Jady Thanks for this quality mod.
freddy
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for sharing, look good

It does take a little getting use to - pushing your foot down to activate something....

have fun

#320 3 months ago

Update 24-1-22

Batch 3
- as per before 5 kits left last Friday
- 6 more kits were paid for and 5 of those left today - tracking links to be sent out in the next few hours.
- 1 kit paid for but not sent due to wanting to clarify something first.
- 2 remaining mods to be paid for

Batch 4
- will start making all the wiring parts, streams, pivot shafts etc and then will be ready when there is enough interest to order the expensive parts.
- anyone interested just reach out via message to get your name on the list.

cheers

Jady

#321 3 months ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

If anyone has a link to one in the US, please share.
Thanks!

this is a late post, but for those still looking for an ac cord in the states/canada, you can easily source one from amazon
amazon.com link »

#322 3 months ago
Quoted from j_m_:

this is a late post, but for those still looking for an ac cord in the states/canada, you can easily source one from amazon
amazon.com link »

Thanks j_m_ thats the one

#323 3 months ago

also a couple of people have now asked me over the last month why are all the screws black except for the one on top of the gun.

The stainless steel screw on top is intentional as the ghostbuster guns have a silver knob on top. This screw is also functional as it screw fastens down the stream and allows you to adjust the stream in and out and swing the nozzle left or right.

I also like that small difference and if you prefer black you can paint or replace with a black M3x10 Allen headed cap screw.

Obviously the mini guns are not as detailed as the real ones from the movie but incorporated what I could into a small part and invented a mirror version for the otherside otherwise it would not be operational.

cheers

Jady

2f2fa6666ea719ad648a9aea6a1029af--ghostbusters-proton-pack-ghostbusters-costume (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg

#324 3 months ago

also had a few people ask me about options for the footswitch and instead like using a lockdown bar button.

This is totally possibly but you need to purchase the parts and replace the lockdown bar receiver and lockdown bar and then get a button switch and wire up to the mod's terminal strip and remove the foot switch cable and replace with wiring to the lockdown bar button. The terminal strip allows for 3 wires (NO/NC) so it can be modified if you want to make it your own.

I also thought of a MRS in a slim housing under the playfield glass on the apron near the flipper buttons and then place a coin on the glass and trigger the mod that way.

Terminal Strip - Jaycar HM3194 5 section (resized).pnglockdown (resized).png
#325 3 months ago

So here is pics of wire exiting coin door.
So as not rub art work I wrapped around out side of leg. No rub!
I am going to remove brick wire ( power supply) an tie in to game power switch.
I just ordered some quick connect stacons.
Will do that when they arrive .
This will cut brick power off when game is turned off.

30B47C02-AB64-4AA2-8C0D-96C9C33B2631 (resized).jpeg
#326 3 months ago
22C76FB4-74B7-47A7-AC2B-937B60769B22 (resized).jpeg56C1EA77-8873-4957-91BC-A349937528BC (resized).jpeg7557F5F4-F2A9-494D-A5B3-B8634421209C (resized).jpegCF6D81E3-91D2-4389-B3EF-5D7747F019B3 (resized).jpegF3B3067E-7993-47AD-A39B-0932A2A90B30 (resized).jpeg
#327 3 months ago
Quoted from freddy:

So here is pics of wire exiting coin door.
So as not rub art work I wrapped around out side of leg. No rub!
I am going to remove brick wire ( power supply) an tie in to game power switch.
I just ordered some quick connect stacons.
Will do that when they arrive .
This will cut brick power off when game is off and I can hide brick in cab.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Only 1 pic loaded

#328 3 months ago

OK i can only hold out for so long. Sign me up for one.

#329 3 months ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

OK i can only hold out for so long. Sign me up for one.

no worries will add you to the list and 2 people have no responded at all for almost a week so you might be in luck in the next week

but I did notice you commented in another thread (which I appreciate) that there might be a integrated kit coming soon. I am working on it but coming up against a few challenges and if I can't get past these I can't proceed.

#330 3 months ago
Quoted from swinks:

no worries will add you to the list and 2 people have no responded at all for almost a week so you might be in luck in the next week
but I did notice you commented in another thread (which I appreciate) that there might be a integrated kit coming soon. I am working on it but coming up against a few challenges and if I can't get past these I can't proceed.

Integrated or not its still going on my machine and no one can change my mind.

#331 3 months ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

Integrated or not its still going on my machine and no one can change my mind.

thanks for the support mate, much appreciated

will chat soon

#332 3 months ago

Update - 27-1-22 - Integration Kit Development

- stumblor is confident about the board/s and wiring linking between the stage 1 of the mod - current kit and the new integrated kit
- the real challenge which is the make or break for the upgrade is triggering off Stern's system = watching and activating off the 4 x in-lane switches

so the options are:
- solder on to the existing switches - not everyone wants to solder and I really want to strive for a bolt on and easy removal approach
- splice into the wiring with scotch locks - a few guys have already not me they are not keen on these and again doesn't marry up to my desired approach
- magnetic reed switch (MRS) - currently working on this and had approached Sonic and he was able to do a quick proof test BUT is expensive and takes this integration way beyond my desired budget so sadly I need to re-invent the wheel and work out how to do something similar myself. This would be a bolt on approach.

Yesterday I was able to achieve an operational rev1 MRS but with a 2.5-3.5mm detection range but it wasn't picking up the switch wire.

So today ordered a heap more magnets of different shapes and sizes with the goal of hopefully creating a magnetic field where I can detect a bit further and disrupt the magnetic field with a switch wire while not affect the glass magnetic reed switch itself - there is a bit of science to this.

Regards

Jady

ps - photo of a Swinks MRS rev1

IMG_7405 (resized).JPG

#333 3 months ago

Why not just 3d print a block that holds two gator clips and clamp it to the exposed terminals on the switch? Or you can get extra fancy and mount another switch that has an arm that is pushed closed when the factory wire form goes down. The bracket that holds the new switch can just sandwich with the factory switch holes.

#334 3 months ago

Or can you just follow the wires to what header they terminate at and just add an additional bridge header with your leads tapped into it similar to a tap in power lead.

#335 3 months ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

Or can you just follow the wires to what header they terminate at and just add an additional bridge header with your leads tapped into it similar to a tap in power lead.

Yeah tapped off the header is a good idea. Ideally we wanted something that was completely separated from the existing boards and wiring though so there was no change of doing any node board damage, however there are ways of protecting against this, like opto isolators. I suspect that if we can't make the reed switches sensitive enough, we'll take this approach.

#336 3 months ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

Why not just 3d print a block that holds two gator clips and clamp it to the exposed terminals on the switch? Or you can get extra fancy and mount another switch that has an arm that is pushed closed when the factory wire form goes down. The bracket that holds the new switch can just sandwich with the factory switch holes.

thanks you gave me another idea

#337 3 months ago
Quoted from swinks:

thanks you gave me another idea

I have also started to double stack micro switches for some of the interactive mods I am currently working on.

#338 3 months ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

I have also started to double stack micro switches for some of the interactive mods I am currently working on.

yes that is what you have given me the ideal about - add another microswitch to trigger off the games one - should be able to trigger servos, lights etc without tapping into Sterns system and a bolt on approach, thank you

#339 3 months ago

Missed this thread, but glad I found it. Makes me wish I had a GB. Fantastic work as always swinks !

#340 3 months ago

Oh yeah, love the imagination and thought that goes towards these mods!

#341 3 months ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Missed this thread, but glad I found it. Makes me wish I had a GB. Fantastic work as always swinks !

Quoted from TicTacSeth:

Oh yeah, love the imagination and thought that goes towards these mods!

thanks guys, like to think outside the box where possible

#342 3 months ago

Update - 29-1-22

- 2 mods left to be paid for and if those customers no longer want them they will be sold to other interested and keen customers.NYG & Acejedi you have until Monday morning Australian time to let me know where you are at.

- if the above no longer want their or claim theirs one will be available for the next people on the list

have a good weekend everyone

Cheers

Jady

#343 3 months ago

Finally found some time to install this mod Jady. It's a huge hit!

SmartSelect_20220129-165723_Gallery (resized).jpg
#344 3 months ago
Quoted from Bam_Man:

[quoted image]

great to hear, enjoy

#345 3 months ago
Quoted from Bam_Man:

[quoted image]

Yes! Youth loving pinball and swinks is a big part of it with his mod.

#346 3 months ago

Update 4-2-22

Integrated Kit Development

- Magnets arrived and designed and half made MRS rev 3 - will test today

- Double Stacking micros switches - ordered and got the same microswitches for double stacking Stern Rollover Switches - concept works but up to testing rev 5:
rev 1 & 2 - using the same lever position as per standard switch = too much tension on the roll over wire and the blocks the ball
rev 3,4 & 5 - used 2 lever position which reduces the tension on the roll over wire as the wire has to effectively push 2 switches in, will test today

- have another idea / way to possibly sense the in-lane switches - off to the electronics shop today

I am not giving up just yet but if I can not create a solution the integrated kit will cease - though open to any tips / advice....

#347 3 months ago
Quoted from swinks:

Update 4-2-22
- Double Stacking micros switches - ordered and got the same microswitches for double stacking Stern Rollover Switches - concept works but up to testing rev 5:
rev 1 & 2 - using the same lever position as per standard switch = too much tension on the roll over wire and the blocks the ball
rev 3,4 & 5 - used 2 lever position which reduces the tension on the roll over wire as the wire has to effectively push 2 switches in, will test today
- have another idea / way to possibly sense the in-lane switches - off to the electronics shop today
I am not giving up just yet but if I can not create a solution the integrated kit will cease - though open to any tips / advice....

Cool, good stuff, will keep the fingers crossed and hope it stays alive! Haha

#348 3 months ago
Quoted from swinks:

Update 4-2-22

Would opto's work?

#349 3 months ago

first trial with version 5 of the double stacked micro switch

will soon make a full set and check they all work straight away - will be for this integration mod as well as for others - (called the Swinks Trigger Finger) that lets you trigger lighting and other mods based off Stern Rollover switches.

#350 3 months ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Would opto's work?

I was going to try photo interrupters next but had a win with the double stack microswitch

When placing the ball at the switch it rolls over on it's own weight but slows it ever so slowly.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.95
$ 349.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 599.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 6.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
There are 467 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!