• 488 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by swinks
  • Topic is favorited by 42 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you pay in the ball park of $800 AUD for ball inactive mech / mod ?”

• Yes - if it is ball interractive and game play enhancing I am willing to support 22 votes
    35%
  • No - it is just too much, sorry. 25 votes
    40%
  • Just interested and want to see where this goes. 15 votes
    24%

(62 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2023-11-25 at 7.39.40 am (resized).png
DSC01600 (resized).JPG
DSC01593 (resized).JPG
DSC01591 (resized).JPG
Black Friday Parts (resized).png
Black Friday Sale Brochure (resized).png
Stern - GB - Storage Facility v3.1 (resized).JPG
Stern - GB - Storage Facility v3.2 (resized).JPG
239878088_1822562151279693_3067666639078509713_n (resized).jpg
241201955_1822562204613021_3583204789476506871_n (resized).jpg
240586878_1822562114613030_4143517214553626040_n (resized).jpg
Left (resized).jpg
Right (resized).jpg
26A144B3-5881-41AC-8FA0-44ED4CFDB89B_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
34177ED3-B0C8-4BF5-A225-09533C0700A4_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
E20A1151-771E-4442-98DF-9F644AFEA2D5_1_105_c (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 488 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 10.
#51 2 years ago

Wow, I did not appreciate the extent of this mod until reading this thread. Amazing!

#52 2 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

update 3-9-21 evening
- the door integration design is complete and parts will be ordered for the proto-production version parts and from there will be v1 production
- I will be making 2 knock out SS panels - SAM / WHITESTAR style for the Aus guys & SPIKE 2 style for the USA guys.
- the image below is the Aus SAM panel with a front and back panel that will extend out through the door roughly 10mm
- the front panel will have a proton beam power on / off switch and power on light indicator
- the left side has a cable in access point with anchoring hidden
[quoted image]

Nice! Totally adds to the look of the coin door too! Here’s a shot of the coin door on my GB Prem here in the US:

35EFEA56-4FB5-4F7B-A2CD-EEED12756FF8 (resized).jpeg35EFEA56-4FB5-4F7B-A2CD-EEED12756FF8 (resized).jpeg47D72EDA-BB5A-4C35-B86D-4BD6948373E1 (resized).jpeg47D72EDA-BB5A-4C35-B86D-4BD6948373E1 (resized).jpeg
#53 2 years ago

thanks for the photos guys, it helps alot.

so far confirmed:

US - has large knockout - SPIKE 2 door
Italy - has large knockout - SPIKE 2 door
Europe - has a unique door with no knockouts (excluding Italy)
Australia - has small knockout - SAM door

yet to confirm what New Zealand, Canada and Japan has....

Also one guy has a bill validator and a few people have the volume knobs where the knockout panel is and Europe do not have the knockout panel at all,

so a version for these guys will be a little different and sorry to say a little more permanent = you will need to drill a hole in the base of the cabinet for the cable to come through - will discuss more later on and there could possibly be a small discount for less / different parts used.

#54 2 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

Wow, I did not appreciate the extent of this mod until reading this thread. Amazing!

Thanks

There is a bit more to the mod than just the proton beams as want the ghostbuster type feel which for most will be totally removeable from their game but is also game play changing.

- The Proton Beams will be game altering
- The Coin Door Plate will look the part and be functional
- The Foot Switch is very much Ghost Trap and allows the mod to work and is industrial so will handle arcade play and Ghost traps and their foot switch are used with the protons in the movie so works for the game.

so all in all there is a bit to the mod and it is fun to play and my family now loves the game even more.

#55 2 years ago

Damn you, Swinks. I avoided buying a CFTBL so that I could stay safe from your "mod lure" as it were. I bought a GB a month or so ago and here you are. Bastard.

Watching closely! Nice work as always!

-- Jimmy

#56 2 years ago
Quoted from Compy:Damn you, Swinks. I avoided buying a CFTBL so that I could stay safe from your "mod lure" as it were. I bought a GB a month or so ago and here you are. Bastard.
Watching closely! Nice work as always!
-- Jimmy

cheers mate, means alot - you do sweet mods mate

#57 2 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

Thanks
There is a bit more to the mod than just the proton beams as want the ghostbuster type feel which for most will be totally removeable from their game but is also game play changing.
- The Proton Beams will be game altering
- The Coin Door Plate will look the part and be functional
- The Foot Switch is very much Ghost Trap and allows the mod to work and is industrial so will handle arcade play and Ghost traps and their foot switch are used with the protons in the movie so works for the game.
so all in all there is a bit to the mod and it is fun to play and my family now loves the game even more.

This sounds sick. Can’t wait to see it all finalized.

#58 2 years ago

Update 6-12-21

- I got some Sam and Spike knockout panels from Pinball Life and was able to finalise the door design.
Now I have just one universal plate that suits the Aussie import games as these have a smaller hole in the door and then the US / Italian games have the larger hole. The bottom and middle holes are for the Aussie's and very top holes and bottom holes are for the US / Italian games though the Aussies also have the very top bolts as well but this keeps everything universal.
So the integration cover sits low to suit both coin doors but allows room at the top to add stern or after market volume switches if desired.

- The plate will have some commercial vehicle wrap in matt black or carbon fibre so you are not looking at stainless steel.

- Also the pcb boards were up under the playfield but now moved to this coin door panel so the glass can stay on and playfield only lifted to fit the mod and you can still tune the proton guns and streams just by opening the coin door only though once set it shouldn't need to be done.

- ordering the proto-production professionally printed parts tonight and sending dxf's files out for laser cut quoting tomorrow.

Tomorrows Goal
- design some mounts for my tripod for my phone to record the proto-concept protons in action - will be a mash of video
Coin Integration (resized).pngCoin Integration (resized).png

#59 2 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

Update 6-12-21
- I got some Sam and Spike knockout panels from Pinball Life and was able to finalise the door design.
Now I have just one universal plate that suits the Aussie import games as these have a smaller hole in the door and then the US / Italian games have the larger hole. The bottom and middle holes are for the Aussie's and very top holes and bottom holes are for the US / Italian games though the Aussies also have the very top bolts as well but this keeps everything universal.
So the integration cover sits low to suit both coin doors but allows room at the top to add stern or after market volume switches if desired.
- The plate will have some commercial vehicle wrap in matt black or carbon fibre so you are not looking at stainless steel.
- Also the pcb boards were up under the playfield but now moved to this coin door panel so the glass can stay on and playfield only lifted to fit the mod and you can still tune the proton guns and streams just by opening the coin door only though once set it shouldn't need to be done.
- ordering the proto-production professionally printed parts tonight and sending dxf's files out for quote tomorrow.
Tomorrows Goal
- design some mounts for my tripod for my phone to record the proto-concept protons in action - will be a mash of video
[quoted image]

Can’t wait!

#60 2 years ago

Update 7-9-21

- made a iphone camera mount to get some video
- captured a video of the protons in action
- ordered professional 3d printed parts and should be in my hot little hands at the end of next week to 2 weeks time
- lots of small final parts ordered - in total the mod is made up of approx. 160 parts.

here is the video

This is a video of my proto-type Ghostbuster Proton Guns mod in action in my Ghostbusters Pro. The proto-production parts have been ordered so the final product will be different in looks to these and then will be ready to sell / take orders in a few weeks.

Footage is during a multi-ball and below are the approximate key moments that the Proton Gun Mod does it's thing.

0:19 seconds - activated too late and catches the ball and then releases
0:54 seconds - rhs lane block
0:59 seconds - lhs lane block
1:04 seconds - rhs lane block
1:07 seconds - lhs lane block
1:22 seconds - lhs lane block
1:30 seconds - ball hop
2:04 seconds - rhs ball redirection
2:15 seconds - rhs - missed blocking the ball

Hope this gives you a idea of what is too come, but lights being added and more details added.

#61 2 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

Update 7-9-21
- made a iphone camera mount to get some video
- captured a video of the protons in action
- ordered professional 3d printed parts and should be in my hot little hands at the end of next week to 2 weeks time
- lots of small final parts ordered - in total the mod is made up of approx. 160 parts.
here is the video
This is a video of my proto-type Ghostbuster Proton Guns mod in action in my Ghostbusters Pro. The proto-production parts have been ordered so the final product will be different in looks to these and then will be ready to sell / take orders in a few weeks.
Footage is during a multi-ball and below are the approximate key moments that the Proton Gun Mod does it's thing.
0:19 seconds - activated too late and catches the ball and then releases
0:54 seconds - rhs lane block
0:59 seconds - lhs lane block
1:04 seconds - rhs lane block
1:07 seconds - lhs lane block
1:22 seconds - lhs lane block
1:30 seconds - ball hop
2:04 seconds - rhs ball redirection
2:15 seconds - rhs - missed blocking the ball
Hope this gives you a idea of what is too come, but lights being added and more details added.

Swinks, this is amazing work. When this lights up, it is gonna kick some serious ghost butt!

Ken

#62 2 years ago

Looking forward to this mod! Great work!

#63 2 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Swinks, this is amazing work. When this lights up, it is gonna kick some serious ghost butt!
Ken

Swinks came, he saw, he kicked its a..!

#64 2 years ago

Seriously impressive stuff Jady. I love how this adds a new dimension to pinball that hasn't been done before. Foot save!

I take it this is with the new mechanical changes in place?

#65 2 years ago
Quoted from stumblor:

Seriously impressive stuff Jady. I love how this adds a new dimension to pinball that hasn't been done before. Foot save!
I take it this is with the new mechanical changes in place?

yes, using the 2 available holes and unique lhs and rhs brackets to fasten under the playfield to secure the motors / pivoting action.

#66 2 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

yes, using the 2 available holes and unique lhs and rhs brackets to fasten under the playfield to secure the motors / pivoting action.

I don’t remember, is this an “Always on” feature? Or does it become active and deactivate somehow?

#67 2 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

I don’t remember, is this an “Always on” feature? Or does it become active and deactivate somehow?

Trudeau would not tell me the finer details, but believe it was a mode

Currently the proton guns will be available all the time like a easier nudge but still challenging as you need to watch the balls, operate the flippers and now a foot switch. Just look at the art on the lanes the guys are busting out guns, it's fun

#68 2 years ago

I would love it to be earned and activated - as it was my original idea to roll down each in lane once (4 lanes) charges the protons for 10 seconds of be able to use and your 10 seconds starts at the first foot press but pcb's and arduino's is not my skill set and people are already 48% / 52% (16 to 17 votes) on the mod cost. The pcb, arduino, power and linking to 4 playfield lane switches to the current servo pcb's etc adds more cost again.

There is also a power button on the door which people can push to deactivate the mod say for comps etc.

Like I said this will be a one of one, there is interest in 25 units now but dare say this will drop significantly once ready in it's final form. If less it will be a once only run and then I will be onto other projects outside of pinball.

#69 2 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

. If less it will be a once only run and then I will be onto other projects outside of pinball.

Don’t leave us after this mod! You’re at the top of the list for pin mods. We need you!

#70 2 years ago

Looks interesting. I'm in.

#71 2 years ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

Looks interesting. I'm in.

if you want to get on the list send me a message with name, state and country and you will be added and that will be the order of send out.

currently 25 units allocated on the list

Quoted from ToucanF16:

Don’t leave us after this mod! You’re at the top of the list for pin mods. We need you!

cheers mate and thanks for the continued support, though there is always a new kid on the block ready to chuck out the old furniture

#72 2 years ago

Update - 8-9-21

- a few people have asked and when I get the sample proto-production parts in and I test out, install etc I can then firm up the price for the mod as it is.
- currently the mod is active all the time and up to the player to activate the foot switch to trigger the proton guns when you want them - therefore kids can stand on the foot switch all day long and the lanes close up when the foot pedal is pressed and for the better players you activate when you need / want it.
- another option is there are 2 pads on the current 2 x servo pcb's that you can connect with a dab of solder and this changes the response of the servo in that once you push the foot switch it will go from poition A to B and back to A in a cycle so the timing needs to be just right making it more challenging as regardless of standing on the foot switch it will only move and block the lanes momentarily and return straight away to it's stowed away position.

- lastly as much as I would love to do an integrated system where say you run over each in-lane - it then charges the proton guns to then be able to use for say 10 seconds. It would glow up the red inserts near the guns as indicators of charged and ready to use. But in adding the design time, proto-typing, additional pcb, mini arduino, 4 inputs and leds etc etc at a guess would add another $150-200AUD per mod in which I would probably only then sell a few mods as the price is getting around $1000 AUD negating proceeding with the mod at all due to my current situation and lack of pcb design knowledge.

So in summary if anyone ONLY wants the mod with full integration, please let me know so I can then decide how to proceed.

cheers

Jady

#73 2 years ago

The video in post #60 looks like the ball will never drain down an outlane as the mod is currently. Even if it's not activated, the outlane area is shrunken by the size of the mod.

#74 2 years ago
Quoted from T7:

The video in post #60 looks like the ball will never drain down an outlane as the mod is currently. Even if it's not activated, the outlane area is shrunken by the size of the mod.

Incorrect, maybe a optical illusion. The ball can pass down the side easily so if you opt not to use the protons - the ball will drain down the sides.

The rod / stream sits higher and to the side so does not touch the ball on the way through and only catches the ball if the gun / stream is activated while the ball is mid drain, but release the pedal and the ball continues to drain.

#75 2 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

Update - 8-9-21
- a few people have asked and when I get the sample proto-production parts in and I test out, install etc I can then firm up the price for the mod as it is.
- currently the mod is active all the time and up to the player to activate the foot switch to trigger the proton guns when you want them - therefore kids can stand on the foot switch all day long and the lanes close up when the foot pedal is pressed and for the better players you activate when you need / want it.
- another option is there are 2 pads on the current 2 x servo pcb's that you can connect with a dab of solder and this changes the response of the servo in that once you push the foot switch it will go from poition A to B and back to A in a cycle so the timing needs to be just right making it more challenging as regardless of standing on the foot switch it will only move and block the lanes momentarily and return straight away to it's stowed away position.
- lastly as much as I would love to do an integrated system where say you run over each in-lane - it then charges the proton guns to then be able to use for say 10 seconds. It would glow up the red inserts near the guns as indicators of charged and ready to use. But in adding the design time, proto-typing, additional pcb, mini arduino, 4 inputs and leds etc etc at a guess would add another $150-200AUD per mod in which I would probably only then sell a few mods as the price is getting around $1000 AUD negating proceeding with the mod at all due to my current situation and lack of pcb design knowledge.
So in summary if anyone ONLY wants the mod with full integration, please let me know so I can then decide how to proceed.
cheers
Jady

Oh yeah, I like this and would pay for this option.

#76 2 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

Incorrect, maybe a optical illusion. The ball can pass down the side easily so if you opt not to use the protons - the ball will drain down the sides.
The rod / stream sits higher and to the side so does not touch the ball on the way through and only catches the ball if the gun / stream is activated while the ball is mid drain, but release the pedal and the ball continues to drain.

Excellent! It looks like a very well made mod.

#77 2 years ago

Got to save up for this one, any idea when its available for sale??I should be on your list already!!

#78 2 years ago

Full mod integration would be fantastic!

1 week later
#79 2 years ago

Update 21-9-21

- Professional printed in solid black nylon from Singapore have just arrived and they look real nice which is great as helps me get close to finalising the price.
- D-Shaft and proton rod materials have arrived
- waiting on - wiring to plug between pcbs and servos
- waiting on - stainless steel plates - should be ready by the end of the week and then need to be posted as we are still in lockdown and will be for another 4 weeks
- hope to assemble the playfield brackets and do as much as I can this week and will post some progress pictures soon

Jady

61F88835-B5A2-42AF-ADEC-A6F3D8E5AA8A_1_105_c (resized).jpeg61F88835-B5A2-42AF-ADEC-A6F3D8E5AA8A_1_105_c (resized).jpegAAE8F048-C996-42EA-9EAB-88CA404A6A46_1_105_c (resized).jpegAAE8F048-C996-42EA-9EAB-88CA404A6A46_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
#80 2 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

Update 21-9-21
- Professional printed in solid black nylon from Singapore have just arrived and they look real nice which is great as helps me get close to finalising the price.
- waiting on - stainless steel plates - should be ready by the end of the week and then need to be posted as we are still in lockdown and will be for another 4 weeks
- hope to assemble the playfield brackets and do as much as I can this week and will post some progress pictures soon
Jady
[quoted image][quoted image]

Those do look good!

#81 2 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

Update 21-9-21
Jady

Booom goes the dynamite!! Can't wait! Take my money!

#82 2 years ago

Update - 22-9-21

- custom grained Stainless Steel Plates (x 55) arrived much early than expected. These are universal for both USA, Italian and Australia coin doors
- will start assembling in the next few days amongst lockdown school holidays with feral kids
- just waiting on wiring to complete a kit
- will assemble unpainted for the interim but photos of the black printed parts do not do the parts justice

Then once everything is plugged in and running - some updated photos, video and a final price followed by a mail out to see if people still want these.

0F8BB86D-B710-4D86-9F9A-AFE324E55AF4_1_105_c (resized).jpeg0F8BB86D-B710-4D86-9F9A-AFE324E55AF4_1_105_c (resized).jpeg

#83 2 years ago

Update - 27-9-21

- LHS and RHS proton mechs are complete and all fit nice and adjusted files for some minor enhancements
- each side has a special bracket for underneath the playfield along with a unique LHS & RHS gun and Proton Stream is 5mm longer for the LHS
- I allowed for the design to add springs but looks like since the mech has less moving parts and now no slack the springs / bolts are no longer required which is great but I will keep the holes there just in case.

Hope the detail is what people were hoping for .....

Jady

62E63BD7-D12D-4571-93F7-AF4742BE2A58_1_105_c (resized).jpeg62E63BD7-D12D-4571-93F7-AF4742BE2A58_1_105_c (resized).jpegA6882ACD-EF2C-45A5-912B-EFFEFEF22530_1_105_c (resized).jpegA6882ACD-EF2C-45A5-912B-EFFEFEF22530_1_105_c (resized).jpegBC620D23-D875-4443-854C-297EA6A7488F_1_105_c (resized).jpegBC620D23-D875-4443-854C-297EA6A7488F_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
#84 2 years ago

Also testing lighting of the streams and wanting to use pink leds. The pictures are probably making them look a tad brighter than what they are but doesn't help being shot against a white background. I just need to finalise the colour and then work out a preferred mounting that allows for removal.

This is using a 4mm / 3.2vdc white
E376F698-3013-4C75-B561-A838CE0CCA07_1_105_c (resized).jpegE376F698-3013-4C75-B561-A838CE0CCA07_1_105_c (resized).jpeg

This is using a 3mm / 3.2vdc white
D3164393-E97D-4FE9-9611-07535E151D22_1_105_c (resized).jpegD3164393-E97D-4FE9-9611-07535E151D22_1_105_c (resized).jpeg

This is using a alternating flashing red / blue 3mm / 3.2vdc
A847C70B-19C8-4EB2-B9D5-5BDD1A97A53F_1_105_c (resized).jpegA847C70B-19C8-4EB2-B9D5-5BDD1A97A53F_1_105_c (resized).jpegED1EF396-7D64-491A-B02C-34849607ECD8_1_105_c (resized).jpegED1EF396-7D64-491A-B02C-34849607ECD8_1_105_c (resized).jpeg

This is using a 3mm / 3.2vdc pink - photo shows brighter than real at the gun muzzle
EE86BDBE-6ACA-483A-860B-190335917E82_1_105_c (resized).jpegEE86BDBE-6ACA-483A-860B-190335917E82_1_105_c (resized).jpeg

One feature I need to improve is the top cut out that is a thin void to the proton stream to glow to the top - just a small detail at the back of the gun. I have widened this design to ensure light gets through as my RHS gun is blocked up - the photo shows the LHS
F7C94D67-9C64-4A73-BD0F-384BA5812206_1_105_c (resized).jpegF7C94D67-9C64-4A73-BD0F-384BA5812206_1_105_c (resized).jpeg

#85 2 years ago

Watching this closely Jady. Thanks for envisioning and bringing this to market!

#86 2 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Watching this closely Jady. Thanks for envisioning and bringing this to market!

thanks ToucanF16

also a note to everyone the streams will only light up when you activate the guns with the footswitch, so when not in use is a cloudy rod that disappears a bit into the surrounding art.

#87 2 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

thanks ToucanF16
also a note to everyone the streams will only light up when you activate the guns with the footswitch, so when not in use is a cloudy rod that disappears a bit into the surrounding art.

Amazing work. I wish the light could make the proton beam effect but hey I am a dreamer. Can't wait to install this in my game. You good sir are create beautiful mods.

Ken

#88 2 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Amazing work. I wish the light could make the proton beam effect but hey I am a dreamer. Can't wait to install this in my game. You good sir are create beautiful mods.
Ken

Hey eyeamred2u , I wish that too but the rod is only 5mm in dia and is solid so slightly challenging but still researching

#89 2 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

Also testing lighting of the streams and wanting to use pink leds. The pictures are probably making them look a tad brighter than what they are but doesn't help being shot against a white background. I just need to finalise the colour and then work out a preferred mounting that allows for removal.
This is using a 4mm / 3.2vdc white
[quoted image]
This is using a 3mm / 3.2vdc white
[quoted image]
This is using a alternating flashing red / blue 3mm / 3.2vdc
This is using a 3mm / 3.2vdc pink - photo shows brighter than real at the gun muzzle
[quoted image]
One feature I need to improve is the top cut out that is a thin void to the proton stream to glow to the top - just a small detail at the back of the gun. I have widened this design to ensure light gets through as my RHS gun is blocked up - the photo shows the LHS
[quoted image]

Love everything about this haha!

#90 2 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

Hey eyeamred2u , I wish that too but the rod is only 5mm in dia and is solid so slightly challenging but still researching

That was my 1st thought was the rod length and light wave limitations.

#91 2 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

Not sure if this helps, I know they make a pico led

https://evandesigns.com/products/flickering-led

#92 2 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Not sure if this helps, I know they make a pico led
https://evandesigns.com/products/flickering-led

Cheers for the link eyeamred2u ,
yes I have experimented and the tried a number of LEDs:
- flickering looks cool in the right place but when trying to light up a 135/140mm long rod it is dull and the pico's don't throw much in this application
- flashing has a little bit better colours and brightness as the intensity is higher but red and blue don't fit the colours - better for the police theme thing
- then tried single colours and the pink is the brightest (even over white) and fits the theme the best as the playfield art is purple and almost pink
- also used el wire back in the early Snackbar Mod days and while it is cool, the power and stiffness added to a moving part at the back is not good and just don't have the diameter

#93 2 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

- flickering looks cool in the right place but when trying to light up a 135/140mm long rod it is dull and the pico's don't throw much in this application
- flashing has a little bit better colours and brightness as the intensity is higher but red and blue don't fit the colours - better for the police theme thing
- then tried single colours and the pink is the brightest (even over white) and fits the theme the best as the playfield art is purple and almost pink
- also used el wire back in the early Snackbar Mod days and while it is cool, the power and stiffness added to a moving part at the back is not good and just don't have the diameter

Quoted from swinks:

Yeah, I figured you ruled out many scenarios so I will be happy with your final product.

#94 2 years ago

Update 2-10-21

- wiring all came in
- finished the kit - came in at 1.2kgs for everything and have fitted most of it to the game.
- need to install the proton beam lights tomorrow
- identified a few small changes that would be beneficial with the bracket that fastens to the stainless steel plate but very happy with the full assemble and look inside the game
51BEE8A8-0685-4C69-BCFA-FAC5300141AF_1_105_c (resized).jpeg51BEE8A8-0685-4C69-BCFA-FAC5300141AF_1_105_c (resized).jpeg7FEB9575-F5A2-40C6-A2AD-9230638DFDB1_1_105_c (resized).jpeg7FEB9575-F5A2-40C6-A2AD-9230638DFDB1_1_105_c (resized).jpegA59F6C46-FB22-4867-AC25-97D823A0ACDE_1_105_c (resized).jpegA59F6C46-FB22-4867-AC25-97D823A0ACDE_1_105_c (resized).jpegA6CBB004-8709-4E9B-BAFA-08E82DCA856E_1_105_c (resized).jpegA6CBB004-8709-4E9B-BAFA-08E82DCA856E_1_105_c (resized).jpegIMG_6746 (resized).JPGIMG_6746 (resized).JPG

#95 2 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

Update 2-10-21
- wiring all came in
- finished the kit - came in at 1.2kgs for everything and have fitted most of it to the game.
- identified a few small changes that would be beneficial with the bracket that fastens to the stainless steel plate but very happy with the full assemble and look inside the game
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks great.

Is there room to run that cabling on the inside of the cabinet if we wanted to drill a hole into the bottom of the cabinet? Not sure how the connection is made on the backside to allow for alternate routing. Just thinking outloud. We are super excited for this Mod!

#96 2 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

Update 2-10-21
- wiring all came in
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Impressive, Egan would be proud haha

#97 2 years ago

I hope this won't be to difficult to install.I'm not really a tech.guy?

#98 2 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

I hope this won't be to difficult to install.I'm not really a tech.guy?

Heck no, looks super easy, some nuts n bolt. Plug n play all the way is how swinks rolls.

#99 2 years ago

OK,if u say so.....

#100 2 years ago

Update - 3-10-21

Hey guys, I am all good for questions and thinking out loud.

Overall I try my best to always make sure the mod can be re-moveable with no damage to your game. On this occasion if you opt for the hole through the bottom over using the door that is permanent but I will design and make a file available for a 3d printed cover plate / bung. And then 5 x screws to fasten the 2 x mechs to the underside of your playfield - though if you remove the mech do not put the screws back in as they will then go through your playfield due to the added length - bag the screws with the mod) - other than that bolt in and good to use and unbolt to remove from your game and no one would know. My Snackbar mod had a 20 page PDF downloadable manual with coloured pictures and step by step breakdown and 99.9% of Snackbar owners did not have to ask any questions of how to install.

I keep my manuals here:
https://swinks.com.au/manuals

Now to answer some questions for hawkmoon TicTacSeth eyeamred2u and help others understand the mod and my approach

Ease of Mod to Install:
- IMPORTANT NOTE - NO SOLDERING REQUIRED
- 5 x screws to fasten 2 x mechs to playfield
- 2 x allen key bolts to loosen and remove guns from the playfield mechs, install the mechs and then re-install the guns
- 4 to 6 x nut remove and reassemble at the coin door for the power and servo driver boards
- plug in some supplied wires (which I will order some decals to define LHS and RHS)
- some cable ties
- all bolt heads have a metric allen key - I will supply 3 x different sizes - only one is needed for assembly and other 2 are just incase mod servicing / adjusting is required in the future.
- mod will come pre-programmed and roughly set and you just need to adjust with a jewelers screwdriver (phillips)
- will have a step by step manual walking you through - will create this once I get at least a batch of sales - already captured alot of photos yesterday
- I opted for these type of boards as then no one needs to program anything except for a small screwdriver to fine tune the proton gun settings to your liking.
- part of the manual will be an exploded view drawing of a few of the assemblies so you will know how to pull apart and re-assemble - not sure why but it helps to service and there is over 150 parts to this mod.

Cables Coming In:
- yes currently showing the cables coming in through the door = equals totally reverse-able mod
- but I will be converting myself to a hole in the base and cable gland or a screw in ring through the bottom front left corner so cables can not be seen
- I will design a different coin door cover plate for this approach so you can still power off and see a pretty light.
- if you want to go through the bottom it is a matter of disconnecting 2 cables (power and foot-switch) from the terminal strip, pass through the hole and reconnect - easy

Getting Power for the Mod:
- I will be supplying a power brick - 5vdc / 2amp without the kettle power lead so you will need to source the lead between the wall and the power brick - over here that part is $10AUD
- the mod pulls a max of about 0.750 amps and that is when the servos are activated and then drops down to about 0.080 amps at rest and at proton gun hold open mode.
- ALTERNATIVELY if you have a power mod from say Pinball Life you can get 5vdc power from that - you need to ensure the game has 1 Amp available power in 5vdc. Simply take power from that and screw into 2 described connection points and you can use the games power but if anything goes wrong that is on you. But I will discount the mod $20AUD off as you will not need the power brick.
- For me to supply the power mod say from Pinball Life it costs me to buy, ship to Australia and then ship back to you and will add more cost to the mod plus I want the mod to be totally independent of the games power as then no risk to damaging any boards.

Hope that helps and there are no dumb questions - ask away

Jady

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 49.95
$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

15,699 (OBO)
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

15,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 488 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/swinks-gb-proton-guns-mod-development/page/2?hl=spelunk71 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.