• 477 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 53 days ago by TicTacSeth
  • Topic is favorited by 43 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you pay in the ball park of $800 AUD for ball inactive mech / mod ?”

• Yes - if it is ball interractive and game play enhancing I am willing to support 22 votes
    35%
  • No - it is just too much, sorry. 25 votes
    40%
  • Just interested and want to see where this goes. 15 votes
    24%

(62 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Stern - GB - Storage Facility v3.1 (resized).JPG
Stern - GB - Storage Facility v3.2 (resized).JPG
239878088_1822562151279693_3067666639078509713_n (resized).jpg
241201955_1822562204613021_3583204789476506871_n (resized).jpg
240586878_1822562114613030_4143517214553626040_n (resized).jpg
Left (resized).jpg
Right (resized).jpg
26A144B3-5881-41AC-8FA0-44ED4CFDB89B_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
34177ED3-B0C8-4BF5-A225-09533C0700A4_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
E20A1151-771E-4442-98DF-9F644AFEA2D5_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
27F9914A-8646-4FFE-B31F-837F9E7CD9E3_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
B6804277-C95E-43AB-9D78-E5BD9820D1A2_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
DSC00258 (resized).JPG
DSC00256 (resized).JPG
DSC00192 (resized).JPG
DSC00190 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #407 Integration mod - Apron Indicator Gauge Posted by swinks (7 months ago)

Post #408 Integration mod - Rules proposal Posted by swinks (7 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

There are 477 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.
#1 1 year ago

GB - Proton Guns Mod

Manual Rev 1 & Mod Cost released 10-10-21 and you can decide from here.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/swinks-gb-proton-guns-mod-development/page/4#post-6541983

I have been wanting to make these for a very long time so here is a teaser - currently in the testing phase and I will share more if there is interest.

Basically my take on the Proton Guns (Streams) - is that that are operated by the player at will via a foot pedal (think ghost trap foot switch). The guns and streams pivot from the existing holes in the playfield so these will suit a Pro / Premium / LE. Since people complain about the outlane drains - here is now an option to upgrade your game so you can activate and close the outlanes to stop a ball from draining - think like a magna slave. Kids can just stand on it all day long to close the lanes and adults can activate when they want or you can turn off altogether in a comp so they can not used and balls can continue to drain out the outlane.

Currently this mod does not interact with Sterns system at all so no chance of not working due to any future code updates. Yes I would of liked to integrate earning the guns / streams via PKE or rolling over each inlane to the flippers (4 of) to charge up the streams so they would blink showing you they are charged and once activated would only last 10 seconds for example and then you have to recharge once again. But electronics is not my thing and I would need connect to Sterns Switches or System AND NEED to see alot of people commit to invest in this upgrade. It currently isn't looking to be that cheap sadly - currently around $800 AUD + postage and I still need to refine a few things and cost a few things so price is yet to be finalised but that is a current rough tally.

Currently the parts are in test mode and are white home printed but not strong enough for locking bolts / threads - had a few fails. The final version will be solid nylon professionally printed parts in black and grey MJF.

What does the mod consist of:
2 x underplayfield mechs (unique left and right) - 2 x servos, 2 x pcb's
2 x proton guns and streams (unique left and right)
1 x cabling set between mechs and coin door
1 x replacement coin door knockout panel with custom panel work (industrial GB lab look) with a power switch
1 x industrial foot switch (ghost trap - proton gun / stream activator)
1 x 5vdc power supply

currently estimated to be 160 parts

LHS mech proto
78CDB433-D81D-48B4-85BD-D7CC81F0B7D1_1_105_c (resized).jpeg

RHS mech proto
AD43B91A-94EB-49DE-B1A7-FFBEBC96997F_1_105_c (resized).jpeg

Foot Pedal
65E2AF1E-8274-4298-ADFF-9DD463DA5F76_1_105_c (resized).jpeg

Streams not activated
2C4532BD-22C5-4AE9-B292-B7D6B39FA7F2_1_105_c (resized).jpeg

Streams activated
E1B943C3-E526-44D3-9A78-8E8DFC93FF0D_1_105_c (resized).jpeg

LHS Gun / Stream activated
FE45E04F-15B0-4A76-A043-69E4B824D874_1_105_c (resized).jpeg

RHS Gun / Stream activated
63417CF6-D5F7-4248-80A9-AD6EEECA7FEE_1_105_c (resized).jpeg

Where to from here:
- if there is no interest it will be a one off mod for my game only
- if there is interest I will start a list but it won't be cheap as so many parts - machined SS posts, bearings, servo's, pcb's, professionally printed parts etc
- will be play testing for a further week with these home printed parts which are already up to v4/v5 to solve little issues but professional printed ones will be close to final
- still need to finalise the door parts / panel
- order the first professional printed parts for one kit, install and test - doing in the next week
- want to machine the top of the streams and light up the streams (resin filled carbon fibre tuning) with a flickering light effect (for a stream effect - goal anyway)
- final cost up for a small run or larger run (to possibly reduce the costs)

place your vote and let me know your constructive thoughts

cheers

Jady

#2 1 year ago

From a personal discussion with Trudeau 5 years ago the proton stream mechs were cut due to the expense which I can now see why.

It was going to be a "Don't Cross the Streams" and were not ball interactive but was going to have a lockdown bar button for activation. They would move in from the pivot points to the centre of the playfield and the rods would light up - but never learnt any more.

It was NOT like the el wire versions that wrapped around things that some guys have done - that is someones mod and their version / take of the streams not a Stern release.

Here is some images of the original concept that Stern were going to do but canned due to cost.

proton 1 (resized).jpgproton 2 (resized).jpgscreen-capture-1 (resized).png
#3 1 year ago

Jady, if there’s a list I want to be first! Serious interest and commitment from me. Sign me up!

#4 1 year ago

Just like the snack bar count me in!!!

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Jady, if there’s a list I want to be first! Serious interest and commitment from me. Sign me up!

cheers mate, appreciate the support

also for everyone - I just added the poll - please vote as will aid in the direction of this mod.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from Vegasbills:

Just like the snack bar count me in!!!

if you mean a list similar to what I did for the Snackbar - yes

thanks for the support

#7 1 year ago

Interest List

#Proto - swinks
excluding the proto - 12 units are allocated to interested people

#8 1 year ago

Interested - would be great if it could be integrated with gameplay - activated when gear collected might be another thematic integration?

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from Zzap:

Interested - would be great if it could be integrated with gameplay - activated when gear collected might be another thematic integration?

yeah it would be good but more expense, I was hoping when Stern did the code update that they gave some function to the red inserts in the outlanes but never happened. I did investigate tapping onto the 4 inlane switches to the flippers but need a custom board.

At the moment it is fun to use them as they are, so will just keep plugging on

#10 1 year ago

Nice, full thread! You know me swings, I’m super interested

#11 1 year ago

I’m in for 5 sets. I would love them to have a beautiful lighting effect and happy to pay more if they were tapped into the system to some degree like a ball save. And molded/printed proton guns like in the movie.

#12 1 year ago

It seems like a simple cheap arduino controller could tap into those switches and get the interactive effect you'd like. Someone with some programming knowledge would have to do it though. Cool mod!

#13 1 year ago

The black rod arm if it was hollow and clear Could house EL wire for some effect.
Cool mod .
Iam following.

#14 1 year ago

Im Floored, Jady! This is amazing work!

#15 1 year ago

Top work fella, these are looking awesome!

#16 1 year ago

Interested!

#17 1 year ago

swinks makes the best mods out there! If I had a GB I would be interested. I'm sure everyone who gets one will be very happy!

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

I’m in for 5 sets. I would love them to have a beautiful lighting effect and happy to pay more if they were tapped into the system to some degree like a ball save. And molded/printed proton guns like in the movie.

me after reading this...... immediately goes to Zach's site to see if he has ghostbusters premium/le for sale.

also me....wakes up realizes it's not 2016.

carry on people.....

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

me after reading this...... immediately goes to Zach's site to see if he has ghostbusters premium/le for sale.
also me....wakes up realizes it's not 2016.
carry on people.....

Thank god it was only a nightmare

#20 1 year ago

I'm interested! Suggest maybe have them engaged for x amount of time, and not constantly during foot pedal depression

#21 1 year ago

To me, this should be "earned" like a kickback save. Hopefully that can be the case. If not, might as well not even have outlanes as people will foot pedal activate these anytime the ball gets close to the lanes.

If the beams get lit up, not gonna lie, it'll look really cool!

#22 1 year ago

I would like 2 sets please

#23 1 year ago

You have my attention…

#24 1 year ago

Count me in!

#25 1 year ago

Very impressive! I'm in for a kit! Add me to the list.

#26 1 year ago

Put me down for 1.

#27 1 year ago

This is cool!

"place your vote and let me know your constructive thoughts"

Just looking at it I can easily see a way to remove all that linkage assembly and drastically decrease the parts required, also a way to just use one servo control board.

#28 1 year ago

Firstly thank you everyone for your interest and input and like the Snackbar Mod I am open to constructive comments and ideas. I am up to revision 3-5 with most parts to solve a bunch of little problems, so will answer some of them now. But my initial goal is build a set in full production materials very soon and test and go from there performance wise as well as final revision costing for a single unit / batch of 10 / batch of 20 and see what I can do price wise. I do not want to sell something if it has bugs or little issues as I want to get it right.

Quoted from ZMeny:

thanks for the interest, my goal is to include a lighting effect in the stream and the back of the gun has access for lighting already designed in and the each gun does have a bit of detail - I will add a separtae post about the guns soon. As for the integration - at the moment that is a desire, getting working bug free and in final materials is goal one. Played a few games with my son yesterday and it was fun and working well with crappy home prints.

Quoted from Haymaker:

It seems like a simple cheap arduino controller could tap into those switches and get the interactive effect you'd like. Someone with some programming knowledge would have to do it though. Cool mod!

that would be cool but not my speciality and not a high priority at this stage, mechanical design first, I just wanted to share my journey and get a fun chat happening - lonely here in lockdown

Quoted from freddy:

The black rod arm if it was hollow and clear Could house EL wire for some effect.
Cool mod .
Iam following.

I hear you, the black tube is a hollow carbon fibre tube and my goal is to fill with a clear resin and lit up the rear end when activated. I have used el wire before and while it is cool I really don't want to add more expensive parts and have to supply a different voltage etc Though it would be cool to add a twist of 2 colours in there.

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Im Floored, Jady! This is amazing work!

Quoted from stumblor:

Top work fella, these are looking awesome!

Quoted from Tsskinne:

swinks makes the best mods out there! If I had a GB I would be interested. I'm sure everyone who gets one will be very happy!

thanks guys, much appreciated

Quoted from ScottyC:

I'm interested! Suggest maybe have them engaged for x amount of time, and not constantly during foot pedal depression

I agree and have tried a few relays and my initial approach was could activate for 10 seconds and then de-activated for 30 seconds for example and just started having weird problem - my specialty is mechanical design and not electrical / electronics

Quoted from ScottyC:

agree, but for example playing my 8 yr son last night, I used them when I thought I wanted to and not always successful as alot going on and you also need to coordinate your foot to trigger the guns and then my son just stood on the guns and yes closed them up for a while but for him made the game more fun. If electronics and game integration happens that will be later.

Quoted from NPO:

To me, this should be "earned" like a kickback save. Hopefully that can be the case. If not, might as well not even have outlanes as people will foot pedal activate these anytime the ball gets close to the lanes.
If the beams get lit up, not gonna lie, it'll look really cool!

that is the goal after mechanical proof of concept, but you will know in yourself if you are cheating by closing up all the time . Ligthing up the beams is the next mission - 1/2 to 2/3 of the country's population is in lockdown so get parts slows things down as only essential shops open and would like to get a mini-mill and resin to proceed with these.

Quoted from wolffcub:

This is cool!
"place your vote and let me know your constructive thoughts"
Just looking at it I can easily see a way to remove all that linkage assembly and drastically decrease the parts required, also a way to just use one servo control board.

thanks I appreciate any ideas / thoughts and open for suggestions and finer details via PM. I trialed using one servo control board for 2 servos and could get it to work as the left side is super tight for space and when you activate a board one servo needs to rotate in one direction and the other servo the reverse direction. Currently with the 2 boards it does give me the ability to fine turn and set the gun pivot distance at rest and max and the right side is different to the left. Having slotted components does add some slop and I need these to be super accurate and tunable but happy to be guided and educated in any way. I did check out the pololu boards which are cheaper and can control multiple servos but not tunable away from a computer and need a PC and does not work with a MAC

#29 1 year ago

As for a WAIT LIST, a couple of people have asked for details not to be shared so going to remove from that 3rd post.

BUT to get on the list please send me your:
Full Name
State
Country

and then you will be added to the list and I will confirm your place in reply. Thread interest is different to real commitment and even then it is 30-50% drop out rate when it comes to payment.

So if you are interested please send me the above details and you will be recorded as a seriously interested person in the mod.

cheers

Jady / Swinks

#30 1 year ago

Hi all,

for those that have shown interest and sent me your details - if you got a email from me responding to your email - you are on the list now

for anyone that expressed in the thread that wants one please send a PM with your details and I will reply to your message and add you to the least.

Current interest for 12 x units from 8 people - thanks you for your interest and support.

cheers

Jady

#31 1 year ago

Hi all,

for those that have shown interest and sent me your details - if you got a PM from me responding to your email - you are on the list now

for anyone that expressed in the thread that wants one please send a PM with your details and I will reply to your message and add you to the least.

Current interest for 12 x units from 8 people - thanks you for your interest and support.

cheers

Jady

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

And molded/printed proton guns like in the movie.

here are 2 shots of the lhs proton gun which is a mirror version of the right side gun which is more similar to the movie gun though with a changes as it needs to fit the streams rod (so a larger cylinder at the front) and clear the apron etc. A bolt goes in the top to secure the stream rod but also makes the rod slide adjustable to suit the desire reach length. Then there are 2 bolts in the bottom (side and front) to lock into the pivot post.

there is a small vertical panel under the gun nozzle - this was needed to flick a ball if it goes down the side and possibly rest on the gun - you activate the guns and it flicks the ball further down to drain. So currently no ball stuck issues.

lhs gun high (resized).pnglhs gun low (resized).png

#33 1 year ago
Quoted from swinks:

here are 2 shots of the lhs proton gun which is a mirror version of the right side gun which is more similar to the movie gun though with a changes as it needs to fit the streams rod (so a larger cylinder at the front) and clear the apron etc. A bolt goes in the top to secure the stream rod but also makes the rod slide adjustable to suit the desire reach length. Then there are 2 bolts in the bottom (side and front) to lock into the pivot post.
there is a small vertical panel under the gun nozzle - this was needed to flick a ball if it goes down the side and possibly rest on the gun - you activate the guns and it flicks the ball further down to drain. So currently no ball stuck issues.
[quoted image][quoted image]

That looks super cool!

#34 1 year ago

This is way cool.I'm IN!!!

#35 1 year ago

Update - 28-8-21

Interest
- thanks for the support everyone, currently up to 19 units across 15 people

Game Audits
- I wanted to track any changes in play with the introduction of the protons when able to use at will (Audit 1)
- without protons the rate is 17.5% down the left side / 17.3% down the right / 65.2% down the centre (so figures rounded)
- and also recorded game length times to see what the changes are as curious
- hooked up the left side proton first and ran for 35 games over 5 days and started to see a slight improvement in drains % and game length (Audit 2) and family is enjoying the game more as they do find the drains on this game frustrating.
- both sides are now installed and will leave it a while to get more meaningful data
audit comparison 1 (resized).png

#36 1 year ago

Update - 2-9-21

- play testing is going well so far and hope to share a video soonish
- a big thanks to wolffcub for giving me a suggestion for a mech redesign - LHS mech now has no linkages and am half way through the right hand side redesign. This will make the mechs more reliable, less parts and hopefully a small reduction in cost to allow to cover a few other things ???
- currently sourcing materials to finalise cost
- and going to test the beam using acrylic rod and end light it to give it a more stream beam look
- few tweaks to the gun

design update (resized).png
#37 1 year ago
Quoted from swinks:

Update - 2-9-21
- play testing is going well so far and hope to share a video soonish
- a big thanks to wolffcub for giving me a suggestion for a mech redesign - LHS mech now has no linkages and am half way through the right hand side redesign. This will make the mechs more reliable, less parts and hopefully a small reduction in cost to allow to cover a few other things ???
- currently sourcing materials to finalise cost
- and going to test the beam using acrylic rod and end light it to give it a more stream beam look
- few tweaks to the gun
[quoted image]

This is mega awesome! Digging it!

#38 1 year ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

This is mega awesome! Digging it!

cheers mate

update 3-9-21

- protons and mechs are complete and ready for ordering - small saving on 3D parts for the mechs which allows for a funky door component.
- some small savings for professional printed parts when ordering batches of 10 of more.
- currently working on the door design over next few days

Side Note: I have had a few people message me asking why I don't home 3D print to reduce the cost. Well those who have purchased my CFTBL Snackbar Mod know me for quality & engineering design. While home 3D printing is great for proof of concept, I like solid and stable parts that will not twist with heat or age and given there are some ball interactive parts these need to be strong and I aim for them to never fail. You get what you paid for - solid nylon parts that can I can tap a thread in and it will not strip and will not split with ball interaction.

cheers

Jady

#39 1 year ago
Quoted from swinks:

You get what you paid for - solid nylon parts that can I can tap a thread in and it will not strip and will not split with ball interaction.

You can model threads. I did this in SolidWorks for my Super Chexx cup holders, with thread mating top and base. I had it 3D printed by XOMETRY in Nylon12.

#40 1 year ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

You can model threads. I did this in SolidWorks for my Super Chexx cup holders, with thread mating top and base. I had it 3D printed by XOMETRY in Nylon12.

thanks for the suggestion but when we are talking M3 thread it is easier to design with a 2.5mm hole and tap a thread in seconds

#41 1 year ago

You might also think about similarly modding The Mandalorian, with a Mando type rifle or that machine gun or the wrist firing whistling birds. If I remember correctly the playfield mounting hole etc. was put into the GB pin but not implemented in the factory due to time and cost I guess. For Mando, you'd obviously have to use existing mounting above the playfield. Anyway, cool mod here.

#42 1 year ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

You might also think about similarly modding The Mandalorian, with a Mando type rifle or that machine gun or the wrist firing whistling birds. If I remember correctly the playfield mounting hole etc. was put into the GB pin but not implemented in the factory due to time and cost I guess. For Mando, you'd obviously have to use existing mounting above the playfield. Anyway, cool mod here.

yeah all GB's had the holes but never uterlised as the original mechs were too expensive

would be harder to add to other games

#43 1 year ago

update 3-9-21 evening

- the door integration design is complete and parts will be ordered for the proto-production version parts and from there will be v1 production
- I will be making 2 knock out SS panels - SAM / WHITESTAR style for the Aus guys & SPIKE 2 style for the USA guys.
- the image below is the Aus SAM panel with a front and back panel that will extend out through the door roughly 10mm
- the front panel will have a proton beam power on / off switch and power on light indicator
- the left side has a cable in access point with anchoring hidden
Door Integration (resized).png

#44 1 year ago

Can guys in the USA and Canada please confirm that your doors are like this.

Also what does Europe including UK get as a standard door.

2dd69edc4361c7a89a78231df34a4b7e9b4a87fa (resized).jpgGB US coin door panel (resized).jpgfront and back of US coin door (resized).jpg
#45 1 year ago

For Guys in Aus and NZ please confirm that you have a single coin slot SAM / WHITESTAR Style Door please.

SAM Door (resized).jpgSAM Whitestar Door Knockout (resized).jpg
#46 1 year ago
Quoted from swinks:

Also what does Europe including UK get as a standard door.

Single slot in UK and most of Europe, I think it's twin slot (same as US) in Italy

Pics of a standard UK game here: https://www.pinballnews.com/site/2018/11/30/fab-four-play-london/

Not a great shot of the front, but does include internals of a coin door

#47 1 year ago
Quoted from mufcmufc:

Single slot in UK and most of Europe, I think it's twin slot (same as US) in Italy
Pics of a standard UK game here: https://www.pinballnews.com/site/2018/11/30/fab-four-play-london/
Not a great shot of the front, but does include internals of a coin door

hard to tell from those pics as looks like a SAM door style but no knockout panel - though I could be wrong....

#48 1 year ago

Here's a coin door pic of my LE Europe game.
Sorry for the lack of light

20210321_164439 (resized).jpg
#49 1 year ago

Had this pic in my phone. USA door

ADFF6071-2212-42C6-9178-DCE634DB6F85 (resized).jpeg
#50 1 year ago

Here is inside of my USA door

64602118074__B2619537-E123-4B79-B79F-CB86DAF3E2FC (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Acton, ME
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
There are 477 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!