GB - Proton Guns Mod
Manual Rev 1 & Mod Cost released 10-10-21 and you can decide from here.
I have been wanting to make these for a very long time so here is a teaser - currently in the testing phase and I will share more if there is interest.
Basically my take on the Proton Guns (Streams) - is that that are operated by the player at will via a foot pedal (think ghost trap foot switch). The guns and streams pivot from the existing holes in the playfield so these will suit a Pro / Premium / LE. Since people complain about the outlane drains - here is now an option to upgrade your game so you can activate and close the outlanes to stop a ball from draining - think like a magna slave. Kids can just stand on it all day long to close the lanes and adults can activate when they want or you can turn off altogether in a comp so they can not used and balls can continue to drain out the outlane.
Currently this mod does not interact with Sterns system at all so no chance of not working due to any future code updates. Yes I would of liked to integrate earning the guns / streams via PKE or rolling over each inlane to the flippers (4 of) to charge up the streams so they would blink showing you they are charged and once activated would only last 10 seconds for example and then you have to recharge once again. But electronics is not my thing and I would need connect to Sterns Switches or System AND NEED to see alot of people commit to invest in this upgrade. It currently isn't looking to be that cheap sadly - currently around $800 AUD + postage and I still need to refine a few things and cost a few things so price is yet to be finalised but that is a current rough tally.
Currently the parts are in test mode and are white home printed but not strong enough for locking bolts / threads - had a few fails. The final version will be solid nylon professionally printed parts in black and grey MJF.
What does the mod consist of:
2 x underplayfield mechs (unique left and right) - 2 x servos, 2 x pcb's
2 x proton guns and streams (unique left and right)
1 x cabling set between mechs and coin door
1 x replacement coin door knockout panel with custom panel work (industrial GB lab look) with a power switch
1 x industrial foot switch (ghost trap - proton gun / stream activator)
1 x 5vdc power supply
currently estimated to be 160 parts
LHS mech proto
RHS mech proto
Streams not activated
LHS Gun / Stream activated
RHS Gun / Stream activated
Where to from here:
- if there is no interest it will be a one off mod for my game only
- if there is interest I will start a list but it won't be cheap as so many parts - machined SS posts, bearings, servo's, pcb's, professionally printed parts etc
- will be play testing for a further week with these home printed parts which are already up to v4/v5 to solve little issues but professional printed ones will be close to final
- still need to finalise the door parts / panel
- order the first professional printed parts for one kit, install and test - doing in the next week
- want to machine the top of the streams and light up the streams (resin filled carbon fibre tuning) with a flickering light effect (for a stream effect - goal anyway)
- final cost up for a small run or larger run (to possibly reduce the costs)
place your vote and let me know your constructive thoughts