Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
101_0074.jpg
photo.JPG
IMG_0024.JPG
IMG_0023.JPG
#1 10 years ago

I posted this to tech help and a friend suggested i re-post it here, so here goes.
I have a new, well to me anyway, a new Williams Swing Time 1963. I am missing a what I think is a small bell in the head. The problem I have is there are 4 cut wires in the area and a small bell only has two. The large bell is still installed. Any chance someone could post a picture of the back of the head and focus in on the bell and anything else that is under the score wheels?

I have a couple of pictures of the area that I'm talking about.

And if anyone has pictures of the cards for the bottom arch I would really like a picture of them also.
Thanks.

IMG_0023.JPGIMG_0023.JPG IMG_0024.JPGIMG_0024.JPG

#2 10 years ago

Heres the Factory bell assemblies for Oem part # s

http://www.planetarypinball.com/reference/partsmanuals/WMS_Parts_1964/index.html#/50/zoomed

Now on the other 2 wires. Ok try contacting other owners of the same by Pm -ing them->
http://pinside.com/pinball/archive/swing-time/owners

#3 10 years ago

Pinball resource has universal bell assy. Unless you are going for an exact Oem part.
Can also be converted for use in Williams, Bally, Chicago Coin, and even arcade games, you need to contact Pbr for the game and what voltage it runs on.

http://www.pbresource.com/bells.html

#4 10 years ago

Cool thanks, I didn’t know there was a way to find other owners. Since there were only 700 of these games produced (accounting to ipdb) I wasn’t sure I could find other machines.

For me, I’ll go original if I can. So I’ll look around for and old bell unit. I took your advice and sent a message to the other two owners of these machines. Again thanks for the help on this one.

Your link to the parts books also provided me with the part number for the plunger for the big bell, which is also missing. And that combined with the wire to the knocker cut someone really didn’t want this machine to make ANY noise.
Thanks again

#5 10 years ago

http://pinside.com/pinball/archive/swing-time

Looks like 2 other pinsiders have this pin.

2 months later
#6 10 years ago

I just got a Swing Time pinball machine but when I plug it in, nothing lights up or clicks. I opened the machine and the four fuses are good and I do have some voltages inside but without a schematic or a little know-how, I have no idea what I am looking for. Does anyone have a schematic or common points of problems to look for? I am an electrical engineer and feel very comfortable troubleshooting electronics. The guy who gave it to me said it used to work but was in his garage for many years.

#8 10 years ago

the hold coil will need to energize before anything else will happen........pin repair website for start sequence and troubleshooting advice.

#9 10 years ago

Tried left and right flippers and nothing. Which repair website do you recommend?
-Dave

#10 10 years ago

Pinrepair.com or pinwiki.com the very first thing you should do is test the transformer.

Also get a schematic. It may be on ipdb.

Start a new thread and we can walk you thru it

-Jeff

#11 10 years ago

Hey dvct, can you post a couple pics of yours for CVSPINS? Who knows, maybe he has a schematic...

1 week later
#12 10 years ago
Quoted from dvct:

I just got a Swing Time pinball machine but when I plug it in, nothing lights up or clicks. I opened the machine and the four fuses are good and I do have some voltages inside but without a schematic or a little know-how, I have no idea what I am looking for. Does anyone have a schematic or common points of problems to look for? I am an electrical engineer and feel very comfortable troubleshooting electronics. The guy who gave it to me said it used to work but was in his garage for many years.

If it were mine first thing I'd do is put a meter on the primary terminals of the transformer. Line voltage (120vAC) should be present on these terminals when the power switch is on. Could just be a bad $3 switch or fuse/fuse holder.

3 weeks later
#13 10 years ago

I do have a schematic for Swing Time although not in the best shape. It seems a mouse was very hungry at some point. Anyway, if you need a copy of it I can try and get some pictures of it or find a way to scan it. Sorry I don't have a scanner. Does anyone know if a place like kinkos will copy it?

#14 10 years ago

Kinkos has a large scanner that they can run your schematic through for you.

Shouldn't be more than a few bucks and then you'll have it electronically.

I'd live a copy too.

My buddy has a Swing Time that I occasionally fix for him and it would be a great help since he's cheap and doesn't want to springbforva schematic.

#15 10 years ago

Hope this will work.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from CVSPINS:

I posted this to tech help and a friend suggested i re-post it here, so here goes.
I have a new, well to me anyway, a new Williams Swing Time 1963. I am missing a what I think is a small bell in the head. The problem I have is there are 4 cut wires in the area and a small bell only has two. The large bell is still installed. Any chance someone could post a picture of the back of the head and focus in on the bell and anything else that is under the score wheels?
I have a couple of pictures of the area that I'm talking about.
And if anyone has pictures of the cards for the bottom arch I would really like a picture of them also.
Thanks.

I see 4 cut wires in the picture.

2 on the right and then 2 on the left.

All 4 go to the coil for the small bell.

Keep the blacks together and the orange with red strip to the other side of the coil.

The small bell is for both 1 point and 10 points so there are wires from both relays. Not sure why there is 2 black wires, but it just might be a way to connect commons together.

You can try it by hooking the orange ones one at a time to the large bell and activating the ones and tens pt to see if you get a chime.

Good luck.

#18 10 years ago

I re-read the original post from dvct "when I plug it in, nothing lights up or clicks." mine does the same thing, until you put in a coin. That triggers the coin relay then in turn the lock relay. See the picture the relay is in the center of the picture. Its the first relay on the the main board.

photo.JPGphoto.JPG

#19 10 years ago

Looking at the schematic I think this is the only way to turn the game on.

Putting a coin in triggers the coin switch.

As long as the anti cheat switch is closed and the normally closed switch either the lock relay or the game over relay (latch) is cleaned and set correctly then 120v is applied to the transformer and the game should start.

#20 10 years ago

You can check power by manually triggering the lock relay. when you do that you should get play field and back glass lights. The game will NOT reset until the coin relay is triggered. But at least you should get some lights.

#21 10 years ago

Check your kick off switch. normally its on the bottom. you can kick the machine to open the switch to turn it off. If its stuck open youre not gonna get any power

1 week later
#22 10 years ago

To everyone that sent me pictures of the inside of the head I wanted to thank you. I found a chime box and a small bell and have wired them in. The game sound great now.

I also purchased a new backglass for the game and it arrived today so it's looking as good as it sounds.

So one thing I'm trying to figure out, does anyone know what is supposed to show up in the high score area on the backglass? There is noting behind it but a light bulb that is wired to the general lighting. There is no high score counter, no way to turn on and off the light behind it maybe to indicate you have the high score. There is also nothing on the board by the light buld that looks like there was a way to mount something the light could have shined through to project a score on the backglass. Anyone have any ideas???

#23 10 years ago

You just write in the score w/erasable marker on that 'window' on the bg for high score. Enjoy your game!

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

You just write in the score w/erasable marker on that 'window' on the bg for high score. Enjoy your game!

Yup! High tech isn't it?

#25 10 years ago

Depends on what type of marker you use. ; )

#26 10 years ago

Grease Pencil

3 weeks later
#27 10 years ago

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. My coin sensor rejects anything I put in it so if I short the two terminals on the back of the coin door, the machine came to life. It was truly a beautiful thing. Now, how do I trick the machine into a valid coin being inserted and start a new game?

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from dvct:

My coin sensor rejects anything I put in it

Sounds like the coin mech lock out linkage is stuck.
Photo?

#29 10 years ago

Sorry, new this. Photo of what? The bottom relay board, back of the coin door or somewhere else?

#30 10 years ago

I have included with this post the picture of the back of my coin door showing the 2 terminals that I short to make the game come to life. Any help on previous question would be awesome. The relay board looks exactly like the post 12 previous named photo.jpg from CVSPINS

101_0074.jpg101_0074.jpg

#31 10 years ago

Ok the coin switch is bad,not to be confused with coin lockout linkage.
Try here to match one up. http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch;jsessionid=5AACE7CC5B23D0C9865389A892292DA0.jvm1?SEARCH_STRING=coin+switch

Check continuity just to verify.

Post edited by Pin-it : More info

#32 10 years ago

You could also set it on Free play if you want to instead of using the coin switch.
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#free

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Ok the coin switch is bad,not to be confused with coin lockout linkage.Try here to match one up. http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch;jsessionid=5AACE7CC5B23D0C9865389A892292DA0.jvm1?SEARCH_STRING=coin+switch
Check continuity just to verify.
Post edited by Pin-it : More info

As 'Pin-It' stated check continuity across the wires when you drop a coin into the mechanism.
The wire connection on the left doesn't look too good. I would carefully resolder both wires.
It could also be a 'broken switch' ( internally), or the metal actuator ( tripped by coin) could be broken.
* I just had the same problem on a different machine. The terminal connection was so bad it just broke when trying to re-solder it. Luckily there was enough left that i could solder the wire to it. These are delicate switches, so be careful with it.
*** Most likely the solder connections............. IMO.

#34 10 years ago

to make free play, You could swap the wires from the coin SW to the slam Sw, then when you want to start a game, you simple bash the coin door with your fist and say Hayyyyyyy!!!
Opps, showing my age!!

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from Chrisbee:

to start a game, you simple bash the coin door with your fist and say Hayyyyyyy!!!

The Fonzie method ^^^,i like it!

Quoted from Chrisbee:Opps, showing my age!!

Too late we are all that.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from Chrisbee:

to make free play, You could swap the wires from the coin SW to the slam Sw, then when you want to start a game, you simple bash the coin door with your fist and say Hayyyyyyy!!!
Opps, showing my age!!

Quoted from Pin-it:

The Fonzie method ^^^,i like it!

i am SOOOOOO tempted to do this "mod"... that would be wicked cool, and since i already have the slam switches bypassed, there'd be no loss...

image.jpgimage.jpg

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

i am SOOOOOO tempted to do this "mod"...

Do it, it’s your machine, impress friends, have a laugh, have some fun!!!!!!!!!.

#38 10 years ago

PS great pic, it catches the moment.

#39 10 years ago

yea, that's pretty much a perfect "happy days" pic... although looking at how young they look makes me feel old...

fonz mod has been installed...

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-fonz-mod#post-1115830

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/swing-time-help-needed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.