Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by TxPinball
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Wanted to see if anyone has an interest in purchasing Fred Swemmers Gottlieb sys80 driver boards, the one with the "flashy" LED light show. I have contacted Fred recently and he advised that he no longer produces these driver boards (he still makes the MPUs), however, he is willing to order a batch of unpopulated driver circuit boards (PCBs) of his design and we can source the components and solder them in ourselves. He will provide a bill of materials with all the required parts needed to function. Minimum order is 12 at a cost of approximately $650, which equals to about $54.17 per board unpopulated. I feel this is very reasonable and I'm in for 2 boards and if anyone else is interested, please post here your thoughts or PM me and if we can get to the total 12 orders, I will contact Fred and have him order us the boards. Here is a link to youtube with his board in action!

#2 7 years ago

A game list might help. A rough estimate of the materials cost to populate a board?

#3 7 years ago

I believe the Gottlieb system 80 driver boards were interchangeable/universal between any Gottlieb system 80/80a/80b. Here is a quote from one of the Gottlieb repair sites "Let's start with the basics. System 80 had only one driver board. That was the good part. No worries about different revisions. Pop in any board from any system 80, 80A, or 80B game." As for the cost, I'm sure it would range in the $100-$150 range, depending on where you source the parts. I remember Fred selling them from around $129, so possibly somewhere in that price range when completed.

#4 7 years ago

Here is an old link on pinside about the quality of Freds boards
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-running-new-swemmer-boards-in-their-gottlieb

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

A game list might help.

Every system 80/80A/80B game.

Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

A rough estimate of the materials cost to populate a board?

Probably around $50, maybe more. Those transistors aren't cheap.

Quoted from zacaj:

$50 for a blank board? Wow

Yeah, a bit pricey. I'd guess he might be having them manufactured domestically, which is more expensive.

#7 7 years ago

I'll guarantee a purchase of two boards.
-Mike

#8 7 years ago

That's great! We now have interest in 4 boards (2 for me and 2 for Mike). 8 more to go and then we can place the order. These boards are well worth it for the light show (IMHO).

#9 7 years ago

Is the BoM available from one supplier or would I have to source from ten different suppliers? Trying to get an idea of how much I'll have invested in the finished product before I commit.

#10 7 years ago

Waiting on Fred for more details and will post here when he responds.

#11 7 years ago

Ok, so Fred states that the parts will be from different manufacturers. He does not know the exact figure costs as he ordered them in bulk. The costs that he was paying was exceeding his margin and he did not want to raise his board prices, hence he stopped making them. He advised there can be cost savings if we procure parts from the proper places and that is my belief as well, especially when ordering in bulk. I'm sure completed board prices will be around the prices I mentioned earlier.

#12 7 years ago

Sure the parts will all be made by different manufacturers, but can you get them all from one distributor? I think that's what everyone wants to know.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Sure the parts will all be made by different manufacturers, but can you get them all from one distributor? I think that's what everyone wants to know.

If I have to pay $10 shipping from one supplier it's no big deal. If I have to pay $10 from ten different suppliers it's probably a deal breaker just to have a spare on hand.

I'm happy to check myself if you want to send the BoM, I don't expect you to do the work for me.

#14 7 years ago

I'd give the BOM to GPE and let him try to be a one stop shop for you guys.

12 boards worth of components, plus 10% transistor spares for future repairs would be a nice kit.

#15 7 years ago

Fred states that the BOM is very similar to the original boards. For your 80/80a/80b game, just look at the parts list for the driver board and add about $30 for LEDs, transistors, and SMCs (surface mount components). Surface mount soldering skills are recommended. 8 more boards to go before placing the actual order, so anyone interested in purchasing one, please chime in.

Allan

#16 7 years ago

Fred states that the BOM is very similar to the original boards. For your 80/80a/80b game, just look at the parts list in the manual for the driver board and add about $30 for LEDs, transistors, and SMCs (surface mount components). Surface mount soldering skills are recommended. 8 more boards to go before placing the actual order, so anyone interested in purchasing one, please chime in.

Allan

2 weeks later
#17 7 years ago

Giving this a needed BUMP.
-Mike

2 months later
#18 6 years ago

Great news everyone! Fred has produced a limited number of completed Gottlieb driver boards for sale. Keep an eye out on ebay for these, as they sell really fast and most likely won't be available again. Good luck!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Gainesville, GA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

Machine - For Sale
Caro, MI
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Madison, WI
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/swemmer-gottlieb-system-80-christmas-tree-leds-driver-boards-revival and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.