(Topic ID: 203687)

Swemmer board (sys80b) no longer booting?

By Robotoes

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by swanng
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Hi, I installed a swemmer sys80b board in my Genesis not too long ago (<2 months). Things were working fine for awhile until the game died in the middle of a game.

Initially after power cycling, the knocker and the ball eject coils were energized. Now they are not doing that. The associated fuses are fine.

MPU is still getting the correct voltage.

I’ve already emailed Fred to see if he has insight, but wanted to post and see if anyone else has experienced this and what might have happened.

#2 1 year ago

Bumping this as I tested my RIOT chips and they all seem fine?

I’m a little lost on where to go next...this is frustrating to say the least.

#3 1 year ago

Did you try reseating the Game Rom(s) in those ZIF sockets he uses? Many ZIF Sockets contact the Rom legs on the edges instead of the surface. Due to how they crimp down with pressure, they don't always make good contact on old crummy pin legs and sometimes have to be slid back and forth to clean them (This experience with EPROM programmer ZIF sockets, not specific to swemmer boards).

#4 1 year ago

Yeah, I actually tried reseating the roms before doing anything else.

#5 1 year ago

Well then, it's probably all standard troubleshooting practices now. Start with reset circuit, then clock circuit. Check for CPU activity etc. etc...

And, possibility of bad ROMs (check checksums in Eprom programmer).

However, you didn't state if there is anything on the display? I have been assuming it is totally dead.

1 week later
#6 1 year ago

There is nothing on the display. I have replaced all the RIOT chips with known working ones, and still the same - nothing.

I’ve gone over and over this machine for something simple and I’m simply stumped, and very bummed.

#7 1 year ago

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am really at a loss.

#8 1 year ago

its time to send it out to a board tech.

#9 1 year ago

It’s a goddamn brand new board!

#10 1 year ago

I had the same problem with the swimmer sys80b board too. My issue was the NVram died and prevented the board from booting. If you have a normal ram, try putting it in and seeing if the board boots. I ended up using a new Phillips 5101 and installed a coin battery, instead of the NVram.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotoes:

It’s a goddamn brand new board!

LOL. Sorry about your predicament but that was classic.

#12 1 year ago

Check the small power connector on the left-hand side of the board. Mine has a little play, the connector was actually bigger than the board edge connector. Look for bad or corroded pins, but more importantly center that thing up so all the contacts are making contact with the appropriate pads and try booting again.

1 year later
#13 5 months ago

Did you ever remedy this? I have 2 system 80b swemmers that dont boot. All the voltages check out, the LEDs light...no boot. Put the OEM board in...boots right up.

1 month later
#14 4 months ago
Quoted from cfh:

I had the same problem with the swimmer sys80b board too. My issue was the NVram died and prevented the board from booting. If you have a normal ram, try putting it in and seeing if the board boots. I ended up using a new Phillips 5101 and installed a coin battery, instead of the NVram.

I know this is old, but I recently got one of these Swemmer Sys80b boards and ran into similar problems. The NVRAM supplied with the board seems to be flaky - the game would behave oddly, sometimes slam tilt, and lose memory/high score settings. I got rid of the NVRAM they bundled with the board and am trying a different 5101 nvram to see if this helps. So far so good. Not sure where the problem is. Did they have a bad run of NVRAM?

3 weeks later
#15 3 months ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

I know this is old, but I recently got one of these Swemmer Sys80b boards and ran into similar problems. The NVRAM supplied with the board seems to be flaky - the game would behave oddly, sometimes slam tilt, and lose memory/high score settings. I got rid of the NVRAM they bundled with the board and am trying a different 5101 nvram to see if this helps. So far so good. Not sure where the problem is. Did they have a bad run of NVRAM?

I have a bad swemmer too. Good to hear you might have figured it out. Ill see if thats the deal with mine as well. The board booted once then never again.

#16 3 months ago

I had a swemmer 80B mpu a few years ago that wouldn't boot. I found that if I pulled the nvram out it booted fine making me think the nvram was bad. Swapping nvrams didn't help. I ended up having fred repair it and he found a bad surface mount transistor in that area of the board. Granted this was like 4 or so years ago and could have been an isolated thing with just my board but I'm just throwing this out there if it helps someone. Try contacting fred he has always been helpful with questions and repairs.

3 months later
#17 9 days ago

Gotta bring this thread back unfortunately. I have a swemmer sys80 board in my Excalibur that's about a year old. It suddenly stopped booting yesterday. No displays, nothing but gi. I have a rottendog driver board in it and it is supplying the 5volts. All leds on the Swemmer are green except for Led18, but I don't know if that's always been that way.

I tried reseating the roms, all connectors/connections are solid, I tried removing the nvram. Nothing.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

#18 9 days ago

Update: I found a new 5101 nvram in the shop (thanks @barakandl) and swapped it in. Still no boot.
All leds are on as they should be.

I am at a standstill!

#19 9 days ago

I just fixed a swemmer system80 board. It had a bad 6502 chip. you may want to try that too (since it's socketed.)

#20 6 days ago

I've been informed that this board is almost an exact copy of the gottlieb BUT it has a transistor right before the 5101 nvram that the gottlieb board doesn't have. Replace that. Same source informed me that the input voltage being too high will hose this transistor, and that the input voltage has to be SPOT ON +5vdc. and NOT MORE (which is probably why mine blew.... the standard rule of thumb from way back when was to dial up the voltage to 5.25 vdc to overcome any connector and finger resistance.)

I forget what the transistor is and I don't have the board anymore.... might have been a 4401?

#21 6 days ago

I also have had a swemmer 80b board here that I've been trying to get to boot for a couple years. New nvram, new driver board, new power supply. Sucker just doesn't boot. Game boots with other boards just fine.

#22 3 days ago

I have found in my Gottlieb machines that keeping it original, meaning no LED's, no mods, no replacement boards-makes it easier to work on and to repair. But to each their own.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
€ 8.40
$ 299.00
Displays
Boston Pinball Company
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Deadpool Premium Out of stock
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 114.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 99.95
Cabinet Parts
Merf's Pins
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 66.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside