(Topic ID: 196580)

Sweeping turn indicators - jeez, enough already.

By TimeBandit

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Sweeping turn indicators..”

• ..are dumb 7 votes
      64%
    • Yes they are 3 votes
      27%
    • I agree 1 vote
      9%

(11 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6905 (resized).JPG
    images (21) (resized).jpg
    12748468_1163350800366594_1213218839_n (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

Now I like lights, lots of lights, but sometimes it's just using them for the sake of it. Vehicle turn indicators that chase outwards is just dumb. Blinking will do thanks, and get off my lawn!!

#2 6 years ago

I don't know, that's pretty badass. I'll take the sequential LED Light strips please.

#3 6 years ago

No worse than some of the shit people put on their pinball machines.

rd

#4 6 years ago

Stupid indicators are a pet peeve of mine.

I wish they hadn't decided to move indicators inside the headlights. You used to be able to see the corner indicators from a range of angles, but now it's a crap shoot and the side indicator can be in several places and with clear lenses with LEDS they are very hard to see in direct sunlight.

So that might be dumb, but Mitsubishi figured out a way to make it worse. This:

12748468_1163350800366594_1213218839_n (resized).jpg12748468_1163350800366594_1213218839_n (resized).jpg

That orange thing is a reflector where the indicator used to be. The indicator next to the headlight is so far recessed you can't see it outside of a 45 degree sweep in front and then there's an orange thing to make you think you've actually seen the indicator but it isn't blinking. Cue pedestrians walking across the road as the car turns into them.

Worst design ever.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

No worse than some of the shit people put on their pinball machines.
    rd

I would say that's better than a solid 95% of em

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

I don't know, that's pretty badass

Oh, I agree, they can look bad ass if done well, but it reeks of "let's take something that works perfectly well and see how complicated we can make it"

images (21) (resized).jpgimages (21) (resized).jpg

#7 6 years ago

where I live most drivers don't use indicators.

#8 6 years ago

Well that turned an .89 cent bulb into ?? And 2 hours of shop labor.

#9 6 years ago

Old head lights
    There was only one to buy it fit all cars
    It cost $10
    Anyone who can use a screwdriver could change and align it in 10 minutes
    It lit up the road

New head lights
    Different design and part number for every make, every model, every year, every trim level
    Cost at least $200-300 each
    Need a mechanic to install them
    Look cool but the plastic covers start getting hazy within a few years and they cloud up and look like crap
    They light up the road

Progress

#10 6 years ago

My $10 headlights are WAY brighter than my $500 headlights. No comparison.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

My $10 headlights are WAY brighter than my $500 headlights. No comparison.

Dunno what car you have ... The zenon headlamps on my lexus RCF are so bright a blind man could see them. Tiny little things too. I shudder to think how much they'd cost to replace though ...

I'm pleased to say the LED turn indicators don't "sweep"

rd

IMG_6905 (resized).JPGIMG_6905 (resized).JPG

#12 6 years ago

I'm still waiting for someone to finally implement a U-turn signal. *shrug*

#13 6 years ago

I have loved sequential turn signals since first seeing them on a '67 Cougar! (I know the T-bird had them first but you never saw those around here when I was a kid)

#14 6 years ago

Well a lot of the newer vehicles have those front running LED markers that go out on the one side when the turn signal for that side is flashing.
    To me it looks broken. I hate it! Very annoyed each and every time I see it.

#15 6 years ago

Look to the more expensive car brands for progress.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

» YouTube video
    » YouTube video

These make my point exactly. I read somewhere that it costs $2,000.00 to replace one of the BMW adaptive headlights with a new one.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20150324/BLOG06/150329954/the-latest-tech-is-great----until-you-have-to-replace-it

#17 6 years ago

"DMD" Digital Micromirror Device oyyyyyyyyyy /facepalm

#18 6 years ago

Oh lord inter LEDs makers fighting

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

» YouTube video
    » YouTube video

Too bad the U.S. laws don't allow for the fully adaptive headlights, it's the same hardware but they have to disable them in software.

#20 6 years ago

I think those animated lights are sorta cool.

Certainly not as irritating as when idiots deliberately paste their annual plate renewal stickers all over their license plate like it's a friggin' Xmas tree, instead of in the corner where it belongs.

#21 6 years ago

I just saw one on the road today that really aggravated me. They put the new on on top of the old one, OK that isn't too big of a crime if you at least stack it on top neatly. But the old one had obviously been put on it the corner after the frame was taken off. They were too lazy to take the frame off to put the new one on, and the frame covers part of the upper corner, so they just stuck the new one a little lower so it would fit inside the frame. So you can see the old one sticking out from behind the new one at an angle. Now that is irritating. These things bother me. Then again, I am the type who waxes and buffs the painted part of the underside of the hood, so I obviously have problems.

#22 6 years ago

LOL! I do like to cascade them so you still see the top and left edges of each old one!

At least they're in the damn corner!

#23 6 years ago

I made some sweeping turn signals for my 2003 TDI Beetle before everybody was doing it. It turned out that a DOT semi truck turn indicator fit perfectly in the housing if you cut the reflector out. So now I have sequential chevrons for turn signals.

#24 6 years ago

My tail light was 2500 to replace. It's rediculous.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sweeping-turn-indicators-jeez-enough-already and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.