New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 232010)

SWE1 PB2K runs for several hours and then partially crashes

By viper001

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by coz6
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

632px-Mediagxboard.jpg

#1 1 year ago

Hi, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction on a maddening problem I'm having on my SWE1 machine. The game will run normally for several hours at a time but eventually the CPU seems to become disconnected from the power driver board. I will discover the game displaying the "Coin door is open" message but none of the playfield lights are working but the screen and the computer still seems to be working, and sometimes it will appear to be stuck in a game. I checked the LEDs when it's like this and I have noticed the blinking "health" LED will be out during these events. Rebooting the machine will get it working again for another couple of hours but it always seems to end up back in this state.

Things I have tried up to this point. I have a new power supply in the computer cage. I also pulled the motherboard and made sure it was not shorting out against the computer cage box (a suggestion from the PB2K Wiki site) but neither made any improvement. The power driver board was swapped into this machine from my HUO RFM which I did to get the STE1 neon working, so the power driver board is relatively low use as compared to the game itself (which is a high use route game). For the record the power driver board never had any issues in it's old home in my RFM.

I'm open to any suggestions of what to try next. This problem seems to occur whether the game is being played, or is just left running in attract mode.

TIA for any suggestions!

#2 1 year ago

Its possible that the motherboard Capacitors need to be changed if they haven't been already. Maybe as the temp rises during play the Cap values fall out of tolerance resulting in locking up. There are 5 Caps on the board and may have a bloated/swollen look like me New Years day Use 10v 1000uf, 105c Caps. I know you mentioned being disconnected from the power board but when I started having issues with my game this cleared up a lot of them.

632px-Mediagxboard.jpg

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Its possible that the motherboard Capacitors need to be changed if they haven't been already. Maybe as the temp rises during play the Cap values fall out of tolerance resulting in locking up. There are 5 Caps on the board and may have a bloated/swollen look like me New Years day Use 10v 1000uf, 105c Caps.
[quoted image]

I saw that mentioned on one of the repair forums. But just to be clear, the computer itself never seems to lock up, it happily keeps running away (either going through it's attract mode, or if it is somehow is in a game it will continue to run the monitor and the sound during one of these events). It just seems to lose connectivity with the power driver board.

#4 1 year ago

Mmm - maybe a connector issue to the driver board or vis versa?

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from viper001:

I saw that mentioned on one of the repair forums. But just to be clear, the computer itself never seems to lock up, it happily keeps running away (either going through it's attract mode, or if it is somehow is in a game it will continue to run the monitor and the sound during one of these events). It just seems to lose connectivity with the power driver board.

I agree that i would start with the Caps despite the PC acting as if its running - they are notorious for failure and your saving problems down the road if they have not been replaced yet - despite people no liking the shotgun approach on this fix as long as you can do the work correctly I would do this and then research more if it continues.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Harpers Ferry, WV
$ 40.00
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 50.00
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 63.50
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside