Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by markmon
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

My new transformer arrived yesterday, but I can night figure out the best way to disassemble the base of the light saber. I can't find any info online. I must be missing something obvious. It looks like the transformer is in the handle, which is enclosed by rivets? What is the best method for opening the saber up

#2 11 years ago

First off - are you sure the transformer is bad? I ask because it is a pain to open the case up. You can ground the black lead and see if the tube glows, if it does then the transformer is fine and you have a driver transistor problem on the power board in the bottom of the cab.

I replaced the transformer on one and the only way to get into the case is to drill the rivets out. You may have to very very carefully remove the light saber plastic, which is glued onto the top of the housing. Mine was really stuck on with a lot of glue.

#3 11 years ago

Changed out the transformer. The seller had said the transformer was bad, so I changed it before checking anything. I still have no light. Excuse my stupid question, but what do you mean by "grounding the black lead?" I have seen several threads mentioning it, but I guess I am not clear by what that means. At this point, I need to find out of the neon tube is bad before I go searching for board issues. Thanks

#4 11 years ago

If you get to the point where the transformer needs to come out, then yes, the rivets need to be drilled.

The neon tube on mine required replacement (cracked). At the time I did not have a rivet press so small screws / nuts were installed. No issues.

Good luck and may the force be with you.

Jeff

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from temlog:

The neon tube on mine required replacement (cracked).

Where did you find a replacement at?

#6 11 years ago

PM Sent.......

#7 11 years ago

If you get to board issues, this is usually the problem - U35, the 2803.

LTG : )

#8 11 years ago

Thank you aztarac. I had been searching for that all morning.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from jewboyflowerhead:

Where did you find a replacement at?

Ordered from this place, "Woofersetc.com". They specialize in car audio stuff. For 20 bucks it even came with a transformer. A little bit shorter than original but it works just fine. You can also order an exact replacement from parts4pinballs.com for a few more coins.

#10 11 years ago

The light just runs on 12v. I have used cold cathode (2 of them) in the past and it was a pretty decent result. One one guy's machine we even used LED strips. The guy I helped loved it. I didnt like that so much as it didnt look really like a light saber.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
New Port Richey, FL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/swe1-light-saber-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.