(Topic ID: 215768)

SWE1 intermittent power failure (but not to CPU)

By Poopiehead

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hi, all!

I have a SWE1 Star Wars Episode 1 which maybe half of the time turns on and plays fine. Seemingly randomly, it will sometimes not turn on in the morning, and it looks as though only the backglass and computer is getting power), or will turn off mid-game and not turn back on. When it turns off, all power goes off to the play field and monitor. I’ve checked the connections and fuses, and I can’t determine how or why it goes on or off (or when it decides to play again). It doesn’t seem to correlate with how long it’s on (sometimes all day, just now for 5 min) before turning off. Any ideas? Maybe a power supply issue?

#2 5 years ago

it does sound like a power supply issue but is the game plugged in on the same outlet such as another pinball machine,fridge,appliance.?

#3 5 years ago

We do have it on the same circuit as several other games, but it’s a 20A. When I was working on it, it was the only thing on in the building, and it was still intermittent.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Poopiehead:

I was working on it

what kind of work?boards,switches,coils,ect.

#5 5 years ago

Sorry, I should say that I opened it up to try to figure out why it wasn't starting up normally. I didn't do any work on it prior to it not turning on correctly, and it had been working great.

#6 5 years ago

I would say it’s the power supply in the computer box! Cheap part to start with!

#7 5 years ago

I don’t have any knowledge or insight to bring to this thread, but your name poopiehead made me laugh. Also a former SWE1 owner, never had any power issues. Hope you can figure it out soon

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from wellarmed:

I would say it’s the power supply in the computer box! Cheap part to start with!

thats right this would be the first place to start,test the HV with a meter and see what measurements you get

#9 5 years ago

Thanks! I'll give that a shot, but the computer seems to be the only part getting power. Can anyone with a SWE1 confirm if the playfield gets power only if the computer is functioning?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 234.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Cento Creations

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Hackensack, NJ
4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

5,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 85.00
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/swe1-intermittent-power-failure-but-not-to-cpu?hl=poopiehead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.