(Topic ID: 120889)

Installing LED DMD from AC/DC into Iron Man... need a little help (***SOLVED***)

By 27dnast

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by markmon
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4682.JPG
IMG_4678.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Bought a colorDMD for my AC/DC and had planned on swapping my AC/DC DMD over to my Iron Man Pro (original) which has plasma DMD that is starting to conk-out.

Ran into a little snag. The ACDC DMD looks like it gets its power from a 4 pin connector (that connected to power in AC/DC with 4-pin to 2-pin connection....and Iron Man has the traditional 8 pin power connector.

Any advice?

Can the AC/DC DMD be rigged? I can see a Red/Black 2 pin connector in the IM back box (something is plugged into it). Wondering if I can get a splitter for that particular connection and plug the old AC/DC 2 pin power connector into that?

Thoughts?

IMG_4678.JPGIMG_4678.JPG

#2 9 years ago

You look to be going from a plasma DMD to an LED DMD - they run off different voltages

#3 9 years ago

Yes.

Can I make the LED DMD work?

#4 9 years ago

So...kicking this back to the top...

I'm guessing the LED display I pulled out of AC/DC runs on 5 Volts. So all I need to do is tap into 5 volts in my IM?

#5 9 years ago

I don't know anything about converting a plasma DMD machine to running LED, but yes, the display you pulled runs off 5V.

#6 9 years ago

I'm wondering if the 14-pin connection is the same...and that all I need to do is get 5v to the display.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I'm wondering if the 14-pin connection is the same...and that all I need to do is get 5v to the display.

The signal is definitely the same on the ribbon cable. The voltage is what I am not 100% sure on

#8 9 years ago

I did this a few years ago. You should be able to follow the power cable from the DMD on Iron Man back to the left of the backbox. You will find a 5V 2 pin connector (going from memory, I think it's 2 pins) there that connects to the 8 pin. Disconnect from the connector from the 8 pin and use the wiring harness that came with the LED DMD. Double check your voltages first but this worked for me on my original IM.

#9 9 years ago

Thanks tvbenk. I'll check into today and report back!

#10 9 years ago

Ok...got her all wired in and running. Totally simple. Thanks to tvbenk, I looked for the 5V 2 pin connector he referenced. I found it...dead center of the back box (pretty much same location as the ACDC that I pulled the LED DMD from. The 2-pin was connected, looked like it gave juice to a small board in the lower right corner that feeds the 8-pin power to the original DMD. So, disconnected the 5V 2 pin...also disconnected the 8-pin harness. Popped the new LED DMD in...connected the 14-pin ribbon cable and the 5V 2-pin and bam!! It came to life.

Looks great. I think the red DMD really compliments the rest of the back box...not to mention, it's easier to make out some of the terrible movie-capture dots. Hard to tell it's red in the picture...but it is.

Back in business (better business for the machine, if you note the score on the trial game I played !

Thanks for all the input, folks!

Todd

IMG_4682.JPGIMG_4682.JPG

1 year later
#11 8 years ago

I had a very similar issue with my Simpsons pinball party. I needed to install a new LED DMD and used the advice posted in this topic. My problem now is that the machine resets during gameplay.
I have removed the fuse from the F1 position and I have checked and re-seated all connectors on all boards. Does anyone have any advise as to what I could look for next?

Thanks.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Paisley_Pinball:

I had a very similar issue with my Simpsons pinball party. I needed to install a new LED DMD and used the advice posted in this topic. My problem now is that the machine resets during gameplay.
I have removed the fuse from the F1 position and I have checked and re-seated all connectors on all boards. Does anyone have any advise as to what I could look for next?
Thanks.

Do you have other mods installed that are lifting from the game's power?

#13 8 years ago

Thanks.

The problem with this method is that it taxes the 5v circuit more than it was designed to handle. It will work in many cases but in some you'll need to hook up an external power supply that outputs 5v. Unplug your DMD and see if the game stops resetting.

#14 8 years ago

I don't have any mods on the machine, it is factory.
I could add in a 5V supply (an arcade switcher), but it is a pain in the butt. I will need to run another cable from the mains for it ( I think). Are there any other solutions available?

#15 8 years ago

What I've done is grab a hdd power supply that comes with a USB hdd kit. Cut the plug off and wires that into the 120v A/C for the bill accepter. Then the 5v from that runs to the DMD.

#16 8 years ago

Good idea about the bill acceptor, unfortunately, this is a UK machine and has no bill accepter. I will have a look at the wiring and see if there is a set of wires that would be attached to a bill accepter.

#17 8 years ago

Good idea about the bill acceptor, unfortunately, this is a UK machine and has no bill accepter. I will have a look at the wiring and see if there is a set of wires that would be attached to a bill accepter.

Most games don't have a bill accepter but the two white and black wires that feed the bill accepter connector are standard.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/swap-dmd-from-acdc-to-iron-man-pro-need-a-little-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.