Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 342 posts
  • 128 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by shlockdoc
  • Topic is favorited by 121 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tumblr_moxj4rYS9S1s73uc3o1_500 (resized).png
    35100f89f945d91bde161d3ed769211307642a45 (resized).jpg
    20180503_221548 (resized).jpg
    9A078B61-D7ED-4629-86F6-C4818FE78434 (resized).jpeg
    0F96C818-EC96-4396-A6D0-88D359DDF389 (resized).jpeg
    9B77E530-0DCA-4F9C-B379-EDE6F19F19D8 (resized).jpeg
    20180301_235034 (resized).jpg
    AFAEEE30-1510-44C3-BFCC-483DC156B4A0 (resized).jpeg
    AF49D139-4891-4F6A-AE92-E6659E14C749 (resized).jpeg
    6F4588D1-3A6C-493A-AD49-F67F9DAFAD9C (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2712 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4930 (resized).JPG
    024 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0280 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0273 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20160807_195822816_HDR_(resized).jpg
    There are 342 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.
    #151 9 years ago

Here's a sketch, not to scale height wise. The black line shows a rectangular profile, and the green line an angled profile. Which should I go with? The purple line shows where I could have the bottom extend out to if I go with the rectangular profile. Opinions?

Backbox.jpgBackbox.jpg

And here's a sketch of the look I'm going for.

oblique.jpgoblique.jpg
    #152 9 years ago
    Quoted from sed6:

I've decided to make my own. It's gonna look a little more like a newer Stern backbox in that it'll have t-moulding around the sides and will incorporate a lock up at the top. I just ordered the hardware and I'll post up a pic when done.

Very interested in seeing this build!

3 weeks later
    #153 9 years ago

Any progress on your light box?? I still can't believe I got interested in one the month he stopped making them. Thinking about making my own as well but I'd have no idea where to start! Was there ever a manual explaining the Swap Box building instructions?

4 months later
    #154 9 years ago

I'd be in for a handful if anyone picks up on doing this for sale again. Me and woodworking tools don't belong in the same room.

#155 9 years ago

I'm back. Had to take a break for a while. Our baby girl is now 6mo. old and I have a little spare time again on the weekends. I shipped two Swap Boxes this week to fellow Pinsiders.
    I will have a booth again this year at Pin A Go-Go, and will have a new product available:

"Swap Box Mini".

These boxes are 8"x11"x only 3" thick, and are hand built for quick swapping of the mini translates that Rick at Planetary Pinball produces: http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SRCH.

You can slide the translates in and out from the top, and are held secure in channels cut into the bottom and sides of the box. Pricing TBA.

I am also working on a wireless AA battery version.

Swap Box Mini Photos (proto type, still making a couple improvements)
    DSC00699.JPGDSC00699.JPG

DSC00700.JPGDSC00700.JPG
    DSC00701.JPGDSC00701.JPG

#156 9 years ago

Excellent, I'll see you at PAGG

#157 9 years ago

Great news John! Glad to see your back up and running with your Swap Boxes. I'll be out of town for PAGG this year, so I'll PM you regarding a couple back glasses and translites I've been wanting to mount.

Cheers!

#158 9 years ago

I sure wish you would make one the size of the P2K translight. A number of us have both the SWE1 and RFM playfields/translights and it would be nice to have a swapbox to hold the translight for which ever is not being used at the time.

#159 9 years ago

Do we still need to get are own glass for them?

#160 9 years ago
    Quoted from rviguet:

I sure wish you would make one the size of the P2K translight. A number of us have both the SWE1 and RFM playfields/translights and it would be nice to have a swapbox to hold the translight for which ever is not being used at the time.

Good idea. I will try and borrow a RFM translite so I can build a box and test fit.

Quoted from thepinballworks:

Do we still need to get are own glass for them?

Yes, You need to have a sheet of 1/8" thick, 25 7/8"x19 1/4 cut at your local glass shop. Should run $10-$15. Despite packing the boxes very carefully UPS still managed to smash the glass.

#161 9 years ago

Awesome. I was just thinking the other day that if I was to sell my Star Trek I'd need another swap box to display the translite I made, right next to the one with Helen in it.

#162 8 years ago

I just got my second swap box a few days ago. I just installed it and added my extra signed Star Trek Pro back glass. Thanks John for this great product!

Thanks
    Michael

image.jpgimage.jpg
    #163 8 years ago
    Quoted from mbelofsky:

I just got my second swap box a few days ago. I just installed it and added my extra signed Star Trek Pro back glass. Thanks John for this great product!
    Thanks
    Michael

image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

That looks great! I have my ST translight I cant wait to display. Thanks for doing another run of these John!

#164 8 years ago

Blimpey, will you by chance do a Gorgar sized frame?

2 weeks later
    #165 8 years ago

John,

Great to hear you're back. I've been trying to get a swap box for my Goldeneye translite forever. Please contact me! Thank you.

-Dave

[email protected]

1 month later
    #166 8 years ago

Just finished up some large custom Swap Boxes, Elektra & Fathom for Todd D., and Gorgar for pinsider jfesler. Just ordered up some glass window cling in black to black out the score windows.

WIN_20150619_210922.JPGWIN_20150619_210922.JPGWIN_20150619_211028.JPGWIN_20150619_211028.JPG

#167 8 years ago

Hoping for a spooky house swap box.

1 week later
    #168 8 years ago

Gorgar comparison light and unlight.

Up next, a Swap Box for "Lectronamo"

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#169 8 years ago

Thank you Blimpey!

1 week later
    #170 8 years ago

Bought this awesome backglass from Brain and want to get it framed. Says it is 26x 29" on his site. Is that a standard old school Bally backglass size? If you have this size, i want one.

SilverBullet-Glass.jpgSilverBullet-Glass.jpg

BTW i got my backglass here, pricey but i bet it looks awesome backlit.

www.bholderman.com

#171 8 years ago

That is really cool! I have built large Swap Boxes in the past, but for local buyer's. The shipping boxes I have are not large enough.

#172 8 years ago
    Quoted from blimpey:

That is really cool! I have built large Swap Boxes in the past, but for local buyer's. The shipping boxes I have are not large enough.

You bringing anything to CAX?

#173 8 years ago

Just bought a new Black Knight 2000 reproduction back glass, I definitely need to get one of these.

#174 8 years ago

I'm not going to have a vendor booth this year.
    I will be at the show Saturday and can bring a Bally/ Williams WPC 95 sized Swap Box with r/f remote, includes translite glass, and a Whirlwind Swap Box with on/of switch, includes translite glass and whirlwind translite. If there is any interest. I am out of all other sizes at the present time.

#175 8 years ago

Cool, absolutely just might just take you up on one--PM sent.

Bought the WW light at CAX, very cool! Box looks great, a really nice item for anyone thinking of ordering one.

1 month later
    #176 8 years ago

Just finished Lectronamo.
    Photos are with and without room lights on.

Currently Building customer Swap Boxes for: The Hobbit, Silver Bullet, Miss World, Spirit, and Pinball Zombies from Beyond the Grave.

Turn around time is 10 days.

#177 8 years ago

Just finished Silver Bullet:
    image.jpgimage.jpg

#178 8 years ago
    Quoted from blimpey:

Just finished Silver Bullet:

Dang, I think I need that. I just got a Silver Bullet backglass and haven't figured out WTF to do with it yet!

#179 8 years ago

That's my Silver Bullet backglass Aurich! I went to pick up the swap box for it today. I'll take some additional pictures when I get it installed at home. Thanks again for the great service John!

Rob Bell
    Robsgameroom.com

#180 8 years ago
    Quoted from MrBellMan:

That's my Silver Bullet backglass Aurich! I went to pick up the swap box for it today. I'll take some additional pictures when I get it installed at home. Thanks again for the great service John!

Oh sweet, give me the full report man! I already have a Stern swap box in my garage, has my Helen translite in it right now.

#181 8 years ago

Can a spooky house happen?

#182 8 years ago
    Quoted from shlockdoc:

Can a spooky house happen?

Sure thing. My current completion time 10 days from ordered to shipped. If you would like to order a Swap Box for Spooky House please PM me.

#183 8 years ago

PM sent John.

#184 8 years ago

As mentioned before, I had purchased one of the Silver Bullet custom backglass' that were talked about in the Silver Bullet thread. I had Blimpey make a swap box for me and the end results are awesome! I used some colored gels to cover up the display widows so that the light was not so bright shining through. I highly recommend these swap boxes!

IMG_4827.jpgIMG_4827.jpg

#185 8 years ago

What do you use to stick the gels on? Without worrying about the paint on the glass pulling up later?

#186 8 years ago

That Silver Bullet looks sweet Rob!

Big shout out to jfesler for picking up a backglass from me and hauling it up to Blimpey this weekend for the Swap Box treatment! You rock man! Excited to see the custom box John makes for my MC glass!

Todd

#187 8 years ago
    Quoted from jfesler:

What do you use to stick the gels on? Without worrying about the paint on the glass pulling up later?

Gels are adhered from the front!

#188 8 years ago

Oooooh. Anyone want to point me at The Obvious? I've got to cover up some bright white spots on a Gorgar

#190 8 years ago

I should really get a box for my Silver Bullet too. I was trying to think how I might make some kind of fake score displays that would be backlit and look at least semi-realistic.

#191 8 years ago

If I had more time/energy, it'd be cool to use real displays and have them show the time.

Perhaps have it show high scores from Pinside too.

#192 8 years ago

My first Swap Box mounted, it looks great! Thanks John for your helpful customer service.

Brad

image.jpgimage.jpg

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

#193 8 years ago

Thank you Blimpey for our swapbox for our Hobbit Translite.

IMG_0573.jpgIMG_0573.jpg

2 weeks later
    #194 8 years ago

Hmm..what about for a playfield?

#195 8 years ago

Super Mario Brothers in a Swap Box. I put it in my 5yr old daughter's bedroom as a nightlight. She loves it since we play Mario World 3-D together on the Wii U.

1 week later
    #196 8 years ago

BoP Swap Box
    Looks great above my dimly lit AFM backbox. My wife & daughter dig it.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

image_1.jpegimage_1.jpeg

#197 8 years ago

Got my Swap Box today for my Silver Bullet glass. I'm working on some fake score displays for it, I'll post a pic when I'm happy with them, right now I just have text prints installed.

#198 8 years ago

John or Mr.BellMan...

I have a signed WOZ mirrored BG. I would like it mounted in a swap box. Rob, you saw it a couple weeks ago.

Is there an easy way to get it to John, and maybe add some unique (custom) lighting in it, specific to this BG, instead of just white?

Let me know.
    Thanks Kerry

#199 8 years ago
    Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

John or Mr.BellMan...
    I have a signed WOZ mirrored BG. I would like it mounted in a swap box. Rob, you saw it a couple weeks ago.
    Is there an easy way to get it to John, and maybe add some unique (custom) lighting in it, specific to this BG, instead of just white?
    Let me know.
    Thanks Kerry

Drive it up to him, Kerry It is not too far!

#200 8 years ago

Actually, the color of the lighting is something I've been curious about -

I know some translights (like earlier Sterns) were lit but a florescent bulb while others (like WMS) are meant to be lit by incandescents. Can they be made with both warm white (incandescent) and cool white (florescent) lighting to be able to switch?

There are 342 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/swap-box-introducing-a-new-game-roompinball-led-light-box-display/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.