Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 342 posts
  • 128 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by shlockdoc
  • Topic is favorited by 121 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tumblr_moxj4rYS9S1s73uc3o1_500 (resized).png
    35100f89f945d91bde161d3ed769211307642a45 (resized).jpg
    20180503_221548 (resized).jpg
    9A078B61-D7ED-4629-86F6-C4818FE78434 (resized).jpeg
    0F96C818-EC96-4396-A6D0-88D359DDF389 (resized).jpeg
    9B77E530-0DCA-4F9C-B379-EDE6F19F19D8 (resized).jpeg
    20180301_235034 (resized).jpg
    AFAEEE30-1510-44C3-BFCC-483DC156B4A0 (resized).jpeg
    AF49D139-4891-4F6A-AE92-E6659E14C749 (resized).jpeg
    6F4588D1-3A6C-493A-AD49-F67F9DAFAD9C (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2712 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4930 (resized).JPG
    024 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0280 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0273 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20160807_195822816_HDR_(resized).jpg

There are 342 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
    #1 10 years ago

Updated 9-3-15

Introducing Swap Box,

Versatile game room decor that displays your back light translite/backglass while allowing for quick swapping of the translite/backglass between your pinball machines.

I have been working on these for the last few months getting everything dialed in. I debuted them at Pin-A-GoGo 2013 May 17-19.

Please check out the you tube video for a demonstration of the product. I cover several of the details on the video. I have a few completed LED light box displays ready to go.

All boxes for Stern translites include 108 LED's, the brightest 5050 type, plastic side and top channels, Stern lift channel, and 12v DC power supply. You just need to supply the translite and glass.

I offer $135 Remote Control, Includes mini R/F remote control w/battery, with on/off, brightness, fade, flash, strobe, and demo effects (can be set to steady on with full or any degree of brightness). Will remember settings/effects if shut off with home automation or wall switch.

Shipping is an additional $35 anywhere in the US. If you are in the Sacramento Area free pick up can be arranged.

If you have interest in ordering one just PM me. I will not take money before your box is ready to ship, unless it is a special order size (add $15 to pricing above + additional shipping fee will apply for oversized boxes). I cannot accommodate all translite/backglass size requests, but will try. I do not currently offer translites for sale.

Thank you,
    John Robison

DSCN4500.JPGDSCN4500.JPG DSCN4504.JPGDSCN4504.JPG DSCN4506.JPGDSCN4506.JPG swap_box_card.jpgswap_box_card.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Nice work, looks great.
    Good Luck with this!

#3 10 years ago

This is great! But just to clarify, you are currently only making Stern compatible frames? No WPC?

#4 10 years ago

I have Stern boxes ready to go.

I can make WPC boxes if you would like one. I know that there are a number of custom Alt. translites out there, mostly fairly risque, that might make sense swapping out for special pinball parties and such.

A WPC box will not be considered a special order (no $15 extra).

Thanks for your interest.

#5 10 years ago

Thanks. Yeah, I recommend at least making Stern and standard WPC boxes. This will cover 90% of the demand IMO. I also think $150 shipped is a good price for this as Michaels wanted more without the lamps. After I move I am definitely interested in one of these.

#6 10 years ago

I saw these at PAGG, definitely a sharp idea, surprised no one has done it yet. I see lots of translites on walls that would look way nicer lit up!

#7 10 years ago

Took one home and I'm very happy
    Looks and functions great!
    Thanks John

#8 10 years ago

I bought one there- they look very nice. They are great for the game room.

#9 10 years ago

Really nice product John. Any chance these could be set up to run on batteries instead of plugging into an outlet?

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

Really nice product John. Any chance these could be set up to run on batteries instead of plugging into an outlet?

Thanks, I had taken some measurements of MA draw.
    I was getting only getting a couple hours on 8 AA batteries.

There are some high capacity batteries for R/C planes and cars, but if not charged right will explode.

#11 10 years ago

Wow. That would get pretty expensive. Makes sense why that's not an option!!

#12 10 years ago

I saw these at Pin a Go Go - a really nice setup. I would have taken one home, but would be clumsy on the motorcycle.

#13 10 years ago

Cool idea!

#14 10 years ago

I need some of them.

#15 10 years ago

Very nice work....

#16 10 years ago

Looks good.

#17 10 years ago

Any chance for the classic bally sized backglass?

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from Xenon75:

Any chance for the classic bally sized backglass?

Probably, what is the length and width?

#19 10 years ago

I am looking at your swap box product. I have a lot of my game room plugged into outlets that work off wall switches. Thus, when I enter the gameroom i flip a few wall switches and the whole gameroom comes alive. I like your box with the remote and the lighting modes. So if I set it to a mode and the box is plugged in and on then I hit my wall switch and kill the power, then another day return and flip the wall switch back on and your box gets power, will it still light up automatically and be set to the correct mode? In other words, does it have memory and remember how its set if you pull the plug then plug it back? If so, I will order the RF remote option. If not, then I may just order the toggle switch type and and leave the toggle on so it lights when I turn my wall switch on. Let me know!

#20 10 years ago

Nice idea. May have to pick one of these up.

#21 10 years ago

Answer to switched outlets & home automation questions with the R/F Swap Box:

I have a X-10 control system in my game room much like you are describing. I just tested the remote controlled box, and it works fine. It remembers the last setting before the power was turned off. You do not have to turn the box on again with the remote. The box will come back on when the power is returned to the outlet, at the same brightness/effects settings as before the box was turned off.

I sold two boxes (R/F remote type) to buyers yesterday that are also using their boxes under the same conditions asked about.

#22 10 years ago

Sounds great! I will take one Paypal sent

#23 10 years ago

Zombies are Light.

The first two photos are of the r/f version turned to about 50% brightness. The last picture is a box just finished up for a customer requesting motion controlled 100% brightness. The standard switched versions are also available.

DSCN4510.JPGDSCN4510.JPG DSCN4508.JPGDSCN4508.JPG DSCN4512_(2).jpgDSCN4512_(2).jpg

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I saw these at PAGG, definitely a sharp idea, surprised no one has done it yet. I see lots of translites on walls that would look way nicer lit up!

Lots of people do it - its just difficult to do
    - cheaply
    - uniformly
    Which makes them difficult to sell except on a custom basis.

You'd be amazed at how varied the sizes of translites and backglasses really are.

Given John's kit includes the glass and side trim.. I'd consider this a pretty hot price.

#25 10 years ago

My Swap Box is out for delivery with UPS. Can't wait to get it. I'll try to post some pics of it later in my game room.

#26 10 years ago

It just arrived!

Swap_Box.JPGSwap_Box.JPG

#27 10 years ago

Well, OPEN IT!!!!

#28 10 years ago

Would also love to see this (self-described game room bling whore)

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

It just arrived!

Gweem I already have your address, there's no hiding from me

#30 10 years ago

Great idea & execution! I saw your display at Pin-A-GoGo and they all looked awesome.

#31 10 years ago

Got my Swap Box setup. Great product! I haven't wall mounted it yet, so I temporarily stuck it on a couple speaker stands I had lying around. Kind of looks like a recognizer ...

P1050469.JPGP1050469.JPG P1050468.JPGP1050468.JPG

#32 10 years ago

Have you done any boxes for Capcom yet? Would like to order for my Big Bang Bar translite.

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from MnHotRod:

Have you done any boxes for Capcom yet? Would like to order for my Big Bang Bar translite.

I can set you up with a BBB box no problem. I just measured my BBB translite to be 26 1/4" x 20" which is slightly larger in both height and width than the Stern boxes (approx. 26"x 19 1/4").

#34 10 years ago

Received my swapbox and I've got it mounted, and I must say it looks awesome. It's definitely worth it to be able to adjust the LED lighting, so if you get one I'd recommend getting the remote control.

As you can see, installation was easy, just used four 1 1/2 inch screws with some washers (and as you can also see, Xmen is all by himself and doesn't get to hang out with the other pins until he gets a code update!).

The swapbox is the perfect finishing touch to the gameroom! Nice work John!

IMG_0778.JPGIMG_0778.JPG IMG_0795.JPGIMG_0795.JPG IMG_0801.JPGIMG_0801.JPG

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from Buckman:

Received my swapbox and I've got it mounted ...

Looks great! That power outlet couldn't be more conveniently located.

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Looks great! That power outlet couldn't be more conveniently located.

I know, it's almost like I envisioned one of these boxes on the wall when we finished our basement a few years ago (the original intent was to plug in a phone there, but I think the swapbox looks a little better there!).

Next best thing would be to plunk the swapbox over the power outlet and cut out a small hole in the swapbox for the outlet, that way everything would be contained inside the box and it would look perfect on the wall.

#37 10 years ago

Wow Buckles that looks amazing!!!

I might have to get like 7 of these to line my walls and wire in some power

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from Buckman:

Next best thing would be to plunk the swapbox over the power outlet and cut out a small hole in the swapbox for the outlet, that way everything would be contained inside the box and it would look perfect on the wall.

This is exactly what I'm considering, but I'll need to get an electrician to wire up a new outlet for me.

#39 10 years ago

Awesome product.

#40 10 years ago
    Quoted from fattrain:

Wow Buckles that looks amazing!!!

I might have to get like 7 of these to line my walls and wire in some power

Thanks fattrain! That's usually how these things work, you get 1 and think you're all good, next thing you know you've got a whole wall full and you've just done some electrical and wall renovations to make it all happen!

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from Buckman:

Thanks fattrain! That's usually how these things work, you get 1 and think you're all good, next thing you know you've got a whole wall full and you've just done some electrical and wall renovations to make it all happen!

I basically have an alternate XM, 2 Trons, ACDC, & TF translits framed on my wall already (in cheapy wallmart frames). I think this is a much better alternative

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from fattrain:

I basically have an alternate XM, 2 Trons, ACDC, & TF translits framed on my wall already (in cheapy wallmart frames). I think this is a much better alternative

I think it would look amazing if you could put those in the swapboxes and run a power line connecting them all and having the whole thing operate from one light switch. Just walk in the room, flick the switch and you've got a pretty cool thing going on. I had a translite up on the wall as well and it doesn't even compare when looking at it when lit up with the box, just adds a very nice effect. It's cool on the wall in a frame, but the light from the swapbox just makes it pop.

#43 10 years ago

Nice product.

PM order sent !

#44 10 years ago

Man they look awesome .

I could do with about 8 of those myself ...

Pity the international postage would be a killer .

I like the idea of butting multiple boxes up next to each other and running the power through from one box to the next . Might even be possible to mount an ON / OFF switch in the side of the first one so that you could walk up , flick one switch on the side and they all light up .

#45 10 years ago

So here is what I am essentially going to replace using swapbox's.

I can only imagine how awesome it will look when finished

(as you can see the translite's shifting within the larger frames since I didn't tack them down at all)

IMG_1085.JPGIMG_1085.JPG

#46 10 years ago

Got mine in and hung up, looks great. Thanks!

SwapBox_003.JPGSwapBox_003.JPG SwapBox_002.JPGSwapBox_002.JPG

1 week later
    #47 10 years ago

bump for a great product and guy

Bob C

1 week later
    #48 10 years ago

I received my custom Spookyhouse box.

Spookyhouse.jpgSpookyhouse.jpg

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from Tseamans:

I received my custom Spookyhouse box.

One of the best looking backglass I have ever seen. Looks awesome lit up.

1 week later
    #50 10 years ago

Some recent boxes I have done for customers.

DSCN4541.JPGDSCN4541.JPG DSCN4537.JPGDSCN4537.JPG WoZ_light_box_2.jpgWoZ_light_box_2.jpg

There are 342 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/swap-box-introducing-a-new-game-roompinball-led-light-box-display and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.