7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by bdPinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bdpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Myself and another pin user are considering a trade between My Riverboat Gambler and his Fire. We haven't gotten down to a +/- or anything, The condition of the RBG is very good for it's age. From the pictures I saw, the Fire Looks pretty good too. Let's say we DO make a deal, how does one go about any sort of verification?

Truth is, I could have just showed him some pictures I found on line somewhere. He could do the same. What proof do I have that after I send my game off on NAVL, or who knows what- that I'll acutally get another game in the mail? And that the game will be the same one in the pictures?

I suppose one solution would be to drive half way and meet my friend in person, and do a car-to-car swap. I've heard of people meeting in a parking lot, and passing a game from car to car, I did that last weekend in front of someone's house (Hi Pinguy!) but that didn't involve taking one out, putting another one in.. What do you do with the one pin in the meantime? Put the legs on it? Leave it just set on the ground while you swap the other ones? I guess I could bring my pin-lift table.

That would be a HECK of a road trip. What is mid-way between Tampa and Sioux Falls? maybe St. Louis?

Anyone have any good suggestions for something like this?

-Brian

#4 7 years ago

Oh yeah? Well I'm from Minnesota originally, and, well, the Badlands Fks aren't as bad as those Iowans!! (reference unlit-dynamite joke)

Seriously though, the guy seems honest enough. Maybe if we had designated surrogates- I'll pick mine in SD, He can find someone here, and we'll have our trusted friend check out the other guy's pin. Probably someone from a national board. Like Pinside!! And then, we throw the inspector a little cash for helping out.

There must be businesses that do this type of thing for other antiques and jewelry and what not. If you watch that show Pawn Stars, they have people who know the value/condition of any/everything! There is also that show where that guy (I guess he's friends with the pawn Stars dudes) restores all Sorts of things- antiques of all kind, Coke antique coolers, little child's toys, cash registers, 50s nik knacks, I like the show Better than pawn stars.

-Brian

#7 7 years ago

Wow. I know what you mean about some people in dealing with Pins. I too have been bent over and..

This last (*@#$ Meteor I got off some a guy that I drove an hour to meet, only to find out it has sound problems, as well as flipper reset issues. I asked outright - "Does this game work?" I can't have any more non-working games!

Well, I suppose the only thing to do is to acutally see/play the game myself before I agree to do something like that. I don't even want to trust someone else to do it. My rents live up that-a-way, near Duluth, so it'll be a little road trip when I'm up there. I think that might be the best idea. If the other guy is interested, he can come down here, or, just trust in the trade.

-dp

#9 7 years ago

I have a little more experience with pins before I joined Pinside, but you're correct in that I'm somewhat new to the sport. I guess that's why I was asking what others had done in the situation. Sounds like unless you personally know them, you ought to examine any game personally.

The one deal I did with. Pin before I joined Pinside was about 10 years ago. I tried to buy this Black Knight on EBay, but some guy out-bids me. I think it went for like 450. So next day he messages me and says he bought it but he changed his mind and would I like to have it for what he bought it for. Being even more green, took him up on the offer. Never did get that game to work. So even if you SEE the game if you don't play it and listen to it, and practically do a switch and coil test, you could get screwed even looking at the game.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Getting my EBD tomorrow!! Whoopie!! Also, fixed the 3rd flipper on my Meteor!

-B

But anyway,

#10 7 years ago

The more I think about the problems you talked about there Dung, and the troubles I've had with pins that I KNOW the condition of, I think it's best to do my buying and selling in person.

-B

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bdpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/swap-across-countryi?tu=bdpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.