Topic Stats

• 134 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Pickle
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 11 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

STARWARS LE (resized).JPG
a0f76a9958b8f87dccef625d22b29ede1153995e176d858472dbfb6179ecb66f (resized).jpg
farm (resized).jpg
giphy-1.gif
IMG_4821 (resized).JPG
IMG_0389 (resized).JPG
1vt0is (resized).jpg
a302ab6397657c507b4857bc261abf8d1025d5bc227deff6294a9907dd5cfa43 (resized).jpg
button (resized).jpg
IMG_3301 (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20170912-193418 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#36 1 year ago

35 posts and not a single "number two" joke? Pinside, you disappoint me.

#49 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

who even looks at these ratings?? I think its only the people who rate the games they are rating...

And who watches the Watchmen?

If I had to guess, the ratings matter in a practical sense mainly when newbies are looking to buy in and want either a "Top 10 Pin" or a "Top Value Pin." That was a real factor for me in deciding to buy a Shadow as my first pin four years ago (and turns out the ratings were right, it's awesome!)

The written reviews are more useful than the numeric grades, of course, especially with those from the more thoughtful/thorough posters like caucasian2step. But people have always loved to arbitrarily rank things and then bicker about the rankings, so there's no reason pinball should be any different.

#98 1 year ago
Quoted from jar155:

LEs are still available. That says more about things than overly emotional ratings.

That says to me that either 800 LEs is too many, or that they have to include something to encourage buying an LE over a Premium. Never was clear to me what that is on SW.

If there was proof that sales are way off for SW as a whole that might tell us something. But would still be hard to separate general concerns with ongoing build quality issues vs. dislike of SW in particular.

#105 1 year ago
Quoted from jar155:

It's Star Wars though. It's the biggest license in entertainment and the demand isn't what it should be.

The demand for the LE isn't what it should be. But that could be attributable to the LE being pretty fungible with the Premium on this particular game.

It may well be that Pros and Premiums aren't selling well, in which case Stern should worry. But I haven't seen any data to support that (and I'm not sure we would, not like with the LE where it's either sold out or it hasn't).

Quoted from flynnsbit:

Didn't they build 800 STLE's and sold those?

Yes, but I can't remember how quickly they actually sold out. Too lazy to investigate! That said ...

Quoted from flynnsbit:

I think the problem is there isn't a big hardware or software difference between the Premium and LE. If they would have included SOMETHING that was different mechanically, we would be having a different discussion. I think if the target banks had magnets under it or , shaker or anti-glare-glass, or even the topper I would have bought one. Something I could make myself feel like the value was there.

True enough, but the general policy has been to not have the LE and Premiums differ on a mech/code/gameplay level -- the Premium is supposed to give you the "enhanced" gameplay of the LE without quite as much sticker shock. But as I understand it Stern has cut more and more corners on the LEs over the years (no more real backglass, no more light-up side rails, etc.) SW LE seems to be viewed as the least distinct from the Premium yet, which cannot be helping sales.

EDIT: Just for reference, here's rarehero's list of features added to Star Trek LE that distinguish it from the Premium:
Shaker included
Different cab art
Mirrored backglass
Blue trim
Lit and animated laser cut rails (photon torpedo lights also seen on inside of cab)
Unique speaker panel with backlit starfleet speakers
Lit starfleet plexi insignias on the sides of the backbox

Of those, what's left on SW? "Different cab art" and "laser cut powder coated gloss black side armor" (no light show though). Serious cutbacks have been made to the LE package since Star Trek, and it's possible that actually matters to buyers at some point.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside