Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by kermit24
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

In theory, I understand how to destroy the death star. I am requesting any advice, tips, tricks, etc. on how to get the ball up the ramp or even around the loop in that direction. Its a hard shot for me. It seems so random if and when it happens. I cannot figure out how to make it repeatable. Do you make it off the left flipper or right flipper? Is it some combo?

#2 6 years ago

I played a premium for the first time on Saturday. I could repeat the shot from the right flipper from a cradle. I could make the shot from the left flipper using a backhand, but only on a ball that had some speed on it. Took me a few tries to figure out the sweet spot on the flipper bat, but once I did, I was more successful.

It is a tough shot. With more practice, I believe I could make it consistently from the right flipper.

Hope this helps.

Marcus

#3 6 years ago

On the pro, the shot can be made consistently from either flipper without too much effort; the Pre/LE however is a much tougher shot IMO. I think I may have backhanded a couple of times but more often than not a shot from the left lacks the oomph to make it up into the deathstar from the ramp. It's much easier to hit it from the right, but still a tight shot.

I've found that SW really improves your flipper skills. Good luck!

#4 6 years ago

My biggest advice is to focus on lighting your add-a-ball right away during the Destroy the Death Star Multiball. The more balls you have out there the more likely you'll get one to go into the death star shot (albeit much harder on a Prem/LE).

For playing on a pro, my go to shot which is about 85% reliable is cradling a ball and back-handing the death star, if you miss it's usually recoverable. otherwise I'm probably only about 50% accurate on a right flipper shot and then the speed is so much higher the risk of a SDTM is much worse. If you're playing on a Prem/LE, my experience has shown that you'll need to dial in your right flipper shot (I've played the heck out of a half dozen Prem/LE's and have only been successful backhanding the death star about 5% of the time - if that).

#5 6 years ago

Ha! This makes me feel a little better. I've been playing my premium for a few weeks now and still only make that shot ~25% of the time. That's with left or right flipper. Good luck.

#6 6 years ago

On the Premoium/LE, it’s really a right flipper shot. It’s nearly impossible to backhand it—someone did it at my party, but I have no idea how they did that! As for how to hit it from the right flipper? It’s aim; I have no secrets; it’s just a hard shot.

And it’s so satisfying when you hit it!

Marc

#7 6 years ago

I played a SWLE on location and every shot was rejected...every one

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

On the Premoium/LE, it’s really a right flipper shot. It’s nearly impossible to backhand it—someone did it at my party, but I have no idea how they did that! As for how to hit it from the right flipper? It’s aim; I have no secrets; it’s just a hard shot.
And it’s so satisfying when you hit it!

Agreed. If the pitch is steep, good luck trying to backhand the Death Star and get it all the way up the fork-ramp. Should be able to hit it with a clean right flipper shot. Depending on pitch and flipper strength, if it rattles at all, it may not make it all the way up.

#9 6 years ago

get a pro . problem solved

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

For playing on a pro, my go to shot which is about 85% reliable is cradling a ball and back-handing the death star, if you miss it's usually recoverable. otherwise I'm probably only about 50% accurate on a right flipper shot and then the speed is so much higher the risk of a SDTM is much worse.

COSIGN. Cradle with left flipper, then backhand is the safest, best shot at the Death Star on a Pro.

#11 6 years ago

it is a though shot left or right flipper and I believe it was degisned to be,I earned my first hyper loop multi today and had 3 balls in the loop,so very cool,just fantastic.love this game and to think I hated it when it came out.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I played a SWLE on location and every shot was rejected...every one

It's definitely a makeable shot and should be nice and smooth when you hit it. If it was being rejected, I would bet their table needs leveled or the wireform up there actually needs to be adjusted slightly.

I never have a reject (as in it hits something and comes back). The only shots that I have come out on my premium are if they just don't have enough speed which is usually me trying to back hand it.

Definitely a tough shot though!

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

Agreed. If the pitch is steep, good luck trying to backhand the Death Star and get it all the way up the fork-ramp. Should be able to hit it with a clean right flipper shot. Depending on pitch and flipper strength, if it rattles at all, it may not make it all the way up.

I found that by decreasing the pitch of the Premium game has made the shot much easier. Still very difficult from the left, but more doable from the right (after a cradle). I don't know what the pitch is, but the bubble of the built in level is centered ON the line nearest the plunger, not between the lines.

Hope this helps.

#14 6 years ago

Thanks everyone for the encouraging advice. I am new to the pinball scene. One things for sure, it is a lot of fun.

Interesting about the built in bubble being centered on the line nearest the plunger. Mine is more sitting on top of that line. That's where it went when I set it to 6.8 using my phone placed directly in front of the flippers. I questioned the reading on my phone because I thought it was supposed to between the lines. Perhaps I will lower it a bit.

Flipper strength, is that some setting? It seems that no matter how fast I attempt press the left flipper for a backhand the ball just shoots off into the playfield.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from nbside:

Flipper strength, is that some setting? It seems that no matter how fast I attempt press the left flipper for a backhand the ball just shoots off into the playfield.

So the best chance I've had of backhanding the shot into the death star is when the ball is rolling from the right of the game, and then flipping when it's almost at the very bottom of the flipper. I've done it successfully quite a bit, but it's no where near a sure thing, it's more of a I only have a couple seconds left, might as well try hail mary.

The ball can be coming from a dead bounce from the right flipper, coming from the right towards the left flipper (orbit, bounce etc) and even just be coming back down from the tip of the left flipper like if you were going to cradle it, but it hasn't stopped rolling yet. I have had virtually no success cradling it on the left flipper and then just flipping it into the deathstar with the ramp up. It will usually go up and not quite make it and then roll back down.

I have my game setup at 6.5-6.8 (I forget which). The bubble is between the lines like it is intended, but it's your game so put it wherever you want.

#16 6 years ago

Exhaust port.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

I can backhand into the deathstar /into the hyperloop on my premium without any problem.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

I can backhand into the deathstar /into the hyperloop on my premium without any problem.

What is your pitch setting? Coil power?

On my premium, even if I backhand it perfectly it makes it over the ramp into the death star about half the time; often it just dribbles back down the ramp or just plops over the ramp into the loop (not the death star). I'm set at 6.5 with normal coil power...different coil power settings didn't seem to make much difference.

Shooting from the right flipper is do-able, but it's a tight shot.

#19 6 years ago

On the premiums I've played, the backhand almost always rejects, and the forehand shot does often as well. I wonder if someone could make a better fork ramp to make it more reliable and reduce the amount of times the ball hangs up on the backside of it. That would really help.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

On the premiums I've played, the backhand almost always rejects, and the forehand shot does often as well. I wonder if someone could make a better fork ramp to make it more reliable and reduce the amount of times the ball hangs up on the backside of it. That would really help.

I find rejects are mainly a setup problem...game is at the wrong pitch. That said, it is a very hard shot. I'm working mainly on that shot to get more accurate and have more success. Lots of practice, but that's one of the things that makes the game a keeper...IMO

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

I find rejects are mainly a setup problem...game is at the wrong pitch. That said, it is a very hard shot. I'm working mainly on that shot to get more accurate and have more success. Lots of practice, but that's one of the things that makes the game a keeper...IMO

I'm finding hard/clean shots to be less reliable than one that just makes it fast enough to get up. I don't know if hard shots are taking air and skipping or not, but if it's too slow, it won't make the climb, if it's too fast, it clunks out. Pretty tough to make it stick.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from KidSmitty:

What is your pitch setting? Coil power?

pitch? I have no idea The leg levelers are 3/4 out on the legs in the back.
I did nothing with the coil power...

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I'm finding hard/clean shots to be less reliable than one that just makes it fast enough to get up. I don't know if hard shots are taking air and skipping or not, but if it's too slow, it won't make the climb, if it's too fast, it clunks out. Pretty tough to make it stick.

I don't have any issues with hard shots on my premium. Like I said before, nothing hits and rejects, the only ones that come back out are those that aren't hit hard enough. I'd guess the machine(s) you've played are too shallow if you're suspecting skipping or possibly the wireform in the back needs an adjustment (someone mentioned they had to adjust theirs on one of the other groups). Mine's been super smooth since I opened the box so I know it's possible to have ti smooth.

3 years later
#24 2 years ago

on the Premium I changed the pitch to more of a level pitch. bubble is touching the middle bottom line. This allows the backhand to work more consistently but oddly enough I been getting more rejects from the right flipper lol. Any case I think the backhand is a much easier shot if it sticks.

#25 2 years ago

yeah now the backhand is easy and the right flipper goes up the ramp with to much force and bounces back. Seriously you can't setup the game to backhand or right flipper the most important shot in the game?

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from Rscontrino:

yeah now the backhand is easy and the right flipper goes up the ramp with to much force and bounces back. Seriously you can't setup the game to backhand or right flipper the most important shot in the game?

You absolutely can. There is an adjustment that can fix the rejects on a clean shot like that. Clean shots front the right flipper shouldn't be rejected. Where the fork ramp meets the hypeloop there is a nut you can loosen and some play on the hyperloop to make the shot up there smoother to the first magnet.

Also, make sure your fork ramp is working correctly in test. There should be two positions.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Palm Springs, CA
$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,099 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Tulsa, OK
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sw-death-star-shot-tips-request?hl=doloe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.