Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Luppin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Where the evolution of experimental/electronic music and pinball history meets.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09rkhgb

I wonder if anyone in the world, but me, would dig out something like this and make the connection. Anyone else with a foot in both worlds?

#2 6 years ago

I am an amateur electronic music producer as well as a pinhead. Listening to the show right now.. awesomness...

Oh... and I own a Xenon of course. She looks and sound the sexiest of them all..

amazing link, thanks much for sharing!

this is the level of depth I enjoy in this hobby.. I actually created my own Twilight Zone soundtrack with Pinsound:

I really dig pre '90 machines becuase they have this adult feeling, both in the minimalist music/sound effects and in the art, that got lost after the '90. From the '90 sounds and effects started to often have this circus-alike feel, without taste, very flashy calls but soon repetitive and boring. Not always, but most of the time. I do not like machines that talk a lot, with fake over emotional lines that could please kids at best. Maybe when playing a machine few times in an arcade it could have a novelty effect, but owning them I much prefer the more adult, serious look and sound of older machines.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

Maybe when playing a machine few times in an arcade it could have a novelty effect, but owning them I much prefer the more adult, serious look and sound of older machines.

I was just thinking about this same concept when playing Taxi. The sounds in Taxi, EATPM, Swords of Fury, and Torpedo Alley are all very good for late 80's machines.

Chris Granner did Taxi, EATPM, TZ, and TAF along with so many other great titles. He nearly perfected pinball sounds from 86-93.

#4 6 years ago

Suzanne Ciani did some amazing work alright.

Quoted from snyper2099:

Chris Granner did Taxi, EATPM, TZ, and TAF along with so many other great titles. He nearly perfected pinball sounds from 86-93.

And Pinbot is a perfect example.

#5 6 years ago

My favourite late '80 music is Brian Schmidt's Space Station and Swords of Fury. Amazing atmospheres with quite limited equipment: the very best soundtracks in pinball in my opinion.

Of course everybody prefer different types of music, but within each genre the job can be done with or without taste.

Early ss are in a different league, with even more limited technology. But the minimalistic raw sounds in some case create this archetypal, timeless, magic vibe. I really love Suzanne Ciani' s work on Xenon.

What I dont like at all in modern machines are flashy, cheesy calls. I especially dont appreciate "humoristic" calls spoken in a circus alike fashion. But calls in general should be very limited in number for my tastes (Xenon perfect from this viewpoint, very little speech, lots of moaning . Machines that keep talking give me headhaches very quickly, and if you add childish art then its terrible. Unfortunately lots of otherwise good late 90 games, think Monster Bash, perfectly fit this description. They cost a fortune, but I would not own them even at a fourth of the cost.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 199.95
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/suzanne-ciani-xenon-her-inspirations-radio-show and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.