• Latest reply 11 years ago by vislor
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo(7).JPG
#1 11 years ago

So my TZ knocker was really weak. You could barely hear it and it would never scare people as it's supposed to do . Of course I replace the coil sleeve, checked the plunger, tightened the plate
it strikes against but nothing seemed to help. Then I read on the internet that they sometimes install the knocker too low in the cabinet and I decided to measure and compare to my other pins.
It was indeed about a cm (half inch) lower. After moving the whole assembly up that amount the difference is striking. Now it even makes me jump.
It really puts a smile on my face when I finally fix something and thank God for the internet.

Hope this info helps someone.

#2 11 years ago

Just courious....where are knockers located on WPC games? I've only had older system 11 Williams games and both of them had knockers that hit on the top left of the backbox.

#3 11 years ago

Top left corner of the backbox.

I disconnect mine

#4 11 years ago

Same place. My JD came with the plunger installed upside down. Needless to say the knocker was not very strong until I flipped it around.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

I disconnect mine

Why would you do this? One of the best sounds in pinball!

#6 11 years ago

Because it scares the crap out of my 11mo old son He is usually sitting on the front of the pin while i play trying to grab the ball is it shoots around the playfield.

photo(7).JPGphoto(7).JPG

#7 11 years ago

haha, cute! Good reason, I guess.

#8 11 years ago

My brother's kid got scared to but I made him suffer. He liked it after about 20 times of us cheering and acting excited when it happend, then he realized it was a good sound. Kids figure things out quick. Now he cheers and yells uncle tony got the knocker. He has to tell everyone. Scared the crap out of him for a while though.lol

#9 11 years ago

The knocker on my EM isn't working at all. Completely disappointing to get the specials as it's a replay-earn game! I've GOT to figure that one out!

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Because it scares the crap out of my 11mo old son He is usually sitting on the front of the pin while i play trying to grab the ball is it shoots around the playfield.

Cute kid!! and yes that knocker scares the heck out of some people.My TAF has the knocker in the cabinet and when it goes off it's like someone's kicked the front door in!! It scared my 3 yr. to death so i disconnected it also.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

The knocker on my EM isn't working at all. Completely disappointing to get the specials as it's a replay-earn game! I've GOT to figure that one out!

You check the wiring? Coil?

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from the_pin_family:

My brother's kid got scared to but I made him suffer. He liked it after about 20 times of us cheering and acting excited when it happend, then he realized it was a good sound. Kids figure things out quick. Now he cheers and yells uncle tony got the knocker. He has to tell everyone. Scared the crap out of him for a while though.lol

Haha!! Poor child but as long as he likes it now is all that matters

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Unfortunately I have to do the same thing with my knockers. My 4 yo won't play them if they are on

#14 11 years ago

The most annoying (I don't know if you want to call it a knocker) was fishtales,That damn flappin fish drove me nuts.....That NEEDED to be disconnected ASAP.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

Unfortunately I have to do the same thing with my knockers. My 4 yo won't play them if they are on

Yeah, We'll do anything for our precious little ones...

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

The most annoying (I don't know if you want to call it a knocker) was fishtales,That damn flappin fish drove me nuts.....That NEEDED to be disconnected ASAP.

Disagree. You stop noticing it after a while anyway.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

Disagree. You stop noticing it after a while anyway.

Haha!! Yeah with ear plugs on...

The game is long gone and don't miss it one bit.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

You check the wiring? Coil?

I'm a moron with a multimeter, and I don't really understand the operation of EM's frankly. Is there supposed to be voltage at one of the lugs all of the time like on a solid state? If there is, there's not and I've gotta dig deeper. I was also looking at the assembly yesterday and seems there may not even be a plunger in the knocker coil! I didn't have time to take it apart...didnt' figure it was worth the trouble until I get the coil tested anyways.

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

operation of EM's

I am not good with EM's, The coil can be tested just put meter on Ohms/buzz.Place each probe on lugs...One probe on one lug,and other probe on other lug.Should get a reading of 2 ohms or higher.
With the power off of coarse

#20 11 years ago

I thought this would have turned into a boob thread by now. Sorry.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Is there supposed to be voltage at one of the lugs all of the time like on a solid state?

On a solid state you should have the same voltage on both lugs when the coil is not energized if you put one lead on one of the lugs and the other on the ground strap.
EM probably the same but I'm not sure.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Pin2k's knocker is the worst!

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

I thought this would have turned into a boob thread by now. Sorry.

Agreed....I thought from the title I was going to see some nice victoria's secret push up bras.

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Agreed....I thought from the title I was going to see some nice victoria's secret push up bras.

Sorry to disappoint!

2 weeks later
#25 11 years ago

Just moved my TZ knocker up 1/2" and it makes all the difference- no more of this and instead I hear this during the replay/ extra ball awards. Thanks Apekop.

3 weeks later
#26 11 years ago

You're welcome! I just thought I'd share this as I would have never guessed they would install the
knocker too low in the factory.

#27 11 years ago

First thing I do when getting a modern Stern (that supports it) is order knocker parts from Pinball Life and install a real knocker in the backbox. Both my LOTR LE and WPT have this now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 79.50
$ 9.95
10,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,059.00
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.95
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/surprising-knocker-fix and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.