(Topic ID: 319034)

Surge Protector recommendation

By Fremen

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8156 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    F6919FCD-2AE9-4102-B35C-06BBD6E7A78A (resized).png
    #1 1 year ago

I have two pins and one outlet to plug them in. Can anyone recommend a surge protector for both that can plug into one outlet?
    Eventually I will get a whole house surge protector installed on the circuit breaker, but until that time...

#2 1 year ago
    Quoted from Fremen:

I have two pins and one outlet to plug them in. Can anyone recommend a surge protector for both that can plug into one outlet?
    Eventually I will get a whole house surge protector installed on the circuit breaker, but until that time...

I have 10 or so of these in the Loft. Have worked perfectly for several years now

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AAHT8AQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

F6919FCD-2AE9-4102-B35C-06BBD6E7A78A (resized).pngF6919FCD-2AE9-4102-B35C-06BBD6E7A78A (resized).png
    #3 1 year ago

I recently just purchased this.
    Possibly overkill, but with about $50,000 worth of machines, I wanted to protect them.
    I wouldn't put faith in a $25 surge protector, the ZeroSurge seemed like cheap insurance to me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z42F4Y2

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #4 1 year ago

I use an APC battery backup and have had good luck with Amazon basics 400VA unit. I own several of them and typically run 2 or 3 pins off each unit.

#5 1 year ago

APC, tripplite, and belkin are the consumer brands I normally stick to.

APC, tripplite, and belkin have an "equipment protection policy" or "connected equipment warranty" included with their surge protectors. Belkin has a $2500 limit, tripplite has a $25k limit, and depending on the model/product, APC can have a $50k to $300k limit.

I've never had to file a claim, but I've pretty much used those three brands exclusively for power strips with anything I remotely care about. Not just because of their equipment warranties, but mainly because they are just good quality power strips.

But, I also live in an area that isn't really prone to surges or direct lightning strikes.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

APC, tripplite, and belkin are the consumer brands I normally stick to.
    APC, tripplite, and belkin have an "equipment protection policy" or "connected equipment warranty" included with their surge protectors. Belkin has a $2500 limit, tripplite has a $25k limit, and depending on the model/product, APC can have a $50k to $300k limit.
    I've never had to file a claim, but I've pretty much used those three brands exclusively for power strips with anything I remotely care about. Not just because of their equipment warranties, but mainly because they are just good quality power strips.
    But, I also live in an area that isn't really prone to surges or direct lightning strikes.

Just s FYI a strip may protect against surge but wont protect against voltage dips. A number of "battery backups" actually have buck boosters that keep the voltages from dipping or surging.

#7 1 year ago

If you own your home, it may be worthwhile to look into a surge protector for the electrical box as well. This would eliminate the issue before it even gets to the outlets, although added protection is always good too.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Siemens-BoltShield-QSPD-120-240V-2-Pole-Single-Phase-3-Wire-65kA-Plug-In-Surge-Protection-Device-QSPD2A065P/314210128

Chris

1 year later
    #8 8 days ago

Old thread, but looking for an answer to my power needs...I currently have a KASA smart, app controlled outlets/power strips for my 14 machines upstairs..However, I DO NOT LIKE the inconvenience of using my phone to turn on my machines (and I'm not really a smart-phone guy to begin with). I want a powerstrip solution where the power strips can be remotely turned on via RF (not IR), but Ideally, I want a WIRED solution where I can have a remote wire with individual power on/off controls on the wall, next to my pins..ANY IDEAS? I've searched the web...couldn't find a wired-remote solution. Thanks in advance.

#9 8 days ago
    Quoted from KING-HENRY:

Old thread, but looking for an answer to my power needs...I currently have a KASA smart, app controlled outlets/power strips for my 14 machines upstairs..However, I DO NOT LIKE the inconvenience of using my phone to turn on my machines (and I'm not really a smart-phone guy to begin with). I want a powerstrip solution where the power strips can be remotely turned on via RF (not IR), but Ideally, I want a WIRED solution where I can have a remote wire with individual power on/off controls on the wall, next to my pins..ANY IDEAS? I've searched the web...couldn't find a wired-remote solution. Thanks in advance.

I've got Amazon Smart plugs. Not exactly what you asked for, but with a small base station, I can say, "Computer, turn on the arcade" and the arcade turns on. I have each smart plug named differently so I can say, "Computer, turn on arcades right" and just the machines on the right turn on. The stuff if relatively cheap. You can use a phone app to do it, but the little echo dots are pretty cheap, and you can stream music do other cool stuff with them as well. Next time you are at wall mart / best buy just look at smart plugs, watch some youtube videos, and decide if this would meet your needs.

#10 8 days ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I've got Amazon Smart plugs. Not exactly what you asked for, but with a small base station, I can say, "Computer, turn on the arcade" and the arcade turns on. I have each smart plug named differently so I can say, "Computer, turn on arcades right" and just the machines on the right turn on. The stuff if relatively cheap. You can use a phone app to do it, but the little echo dots are pretty cheap, and you can stream music do other cool stuff with them as well. Next time you are at wall mart / best buy just look at smart plugs, watch some youtube videos, and decide if this would meet your needs.

I have all the smart plugs already..I want to get away from that..I want a 'wired solution' aka 'Non-Smart' solution..I don't use (or want to have) Alexa or anything of that nature..I have sensitivty to EMF as it is..with that being said, I reiterate by saying I want a wired switch or just Radio Frequency (RF) solution, on a wall panel or handheld base..I've had some problems with the smart plugs on a few older pins..example, I took my Baywatch off the smart plugs because the current wasn't giving the machine a hard, 'On' lol..had some issues with Dirty Harry as well..the newer machines, no prob.
    Call me wierd, but I want to dumb it down, with the same convenience, next to the pins, without having to squeeze and scratch my pins up to turn on the Sterns, etc (on the backboxes).

#11 8 days ago
    Quoted from KING-HENRY:

I have all the smart plugs already..I want to get away from that..I want a 'wired solution' aka 'Non-Smart' solution..I don't use (or want to have) Alexa or anything of that nature..I have sensitivty to EMF as it is..with that being said, I reiterate by saying I want a wired switch or just Radio Frequency (RF) solution, on a wall panel or handheld base..I've had some problems with the smart plugs on a few older pins..example, I took my Baywatch off the smart plugs because the current wasn't giving the machine a hard, 'On' lol..had some issues with Dirty Harry as well..the newer machines, no prob.
    Call me wierd, but I want to dumb it down, with the same convenience, next to the pins, without having to squeeze and scratch my pins up to turn on the Sterns, etc (on the backboxes).

Well, if you want to go old school old school... depending on how your outlets are hooked up it is possible to put them all on a regular light switch. You'd have to hire an electrician if you're not handy, but the outlets in my kids rooms are hooked up the the wall switch since there is no ceiling light. This would be no RF of any type.

#12 8 days ago

Nvm, saw you don't want an Alexa.

They make smart outlets that you replace your existing outlet with. I'm not sure if you can control these via a switch though. Did some brief research but haven't found anything.

#13 8 days ago

Get a kasa wall switch and tie in all your kasa outlets to them in the app.

It’ll feel like an old school method but works the same way.

#14 8 days ago

I wish all pins had 12v triggers, then I could use a home theater remote control system like the Niles Intellicontrol..I'm not opposed it RF remotes, as they aren't on a constant network..I could still use smart outlets if they were managed via a wall-mount with touchscreen for simple on/off commands for each pin..would be a cool product to sell (at least I'd buy it). Have a GUI that includes artwork for each pin, assignable and arrangable on the screen (or someone create a pin-power app for old/spare phone attached to the wall).

#15 8 days ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Get a kasa wall switch and tie in all your kasa outlets to them in the app.
    It’ll feel like an old school method but works the same way.

I'll look into that, thank you..I didn't know you could adapt their wall switches to existing kasa plugs you have a link to something that will work with these newer Kasa strips/outlets?

#16 8 days ago
    Quoted from KING-HENRY:

I'll look into that, thank you..I didn't know you could adapt their wall switches to existing kasa plugs

If you want to get even more lazy pick up their cheap camera and set it in front of your games. Walk up to your machines and they’ll turn on automatically.

#17 8 days ago

Here’s a quick example of a “smart action”. You could add as many as you want I used 2 for example. I used a ceiling fan as a host device but you could put one of those switches anywhere really.

You can also group your device for one touch all on or off in the app if you wish.

IMG_8156 (resized).pngIMG_8156 (resized).png
    #18 8 days ago

i just found this topic on a battery-powered kasa switch 'want'..I think that would really do the trick without hard-wiring..i wonder if one has been made yet (the topic is 4 years old). stick-on the wall kasa switch solution would be cool. https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/209538

#19 8 days ago
    Quoted from KING-HENRY:

i just found this topic on a battery-powered kasa switch 'want'..I think that would really do the trick without hard-wiring..i wonder if one has been made yet (the topic is 4 years old). stick-on the wall kasa switch solution would be cool. https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/209538

I’ll bet you could find someone geeky enough to program a single zigbee device to work for all this. IFTTT might be able to accommodate that.

#20 8 days ago

here's a possible (temporary and simple) way to do what I want to do.. https://www.amazon.com/BN-LINK-Wireless-Wall-Mounting-Household-Appliances/dp/B01NASZ0UM/ref=sr_1_11
    I could essentially turn my kasa powerstrips back to 'dumb' and plug these guys in the main socket (thus controlling each power strip on/off) via IR remote...and has 3 banks which would satisfy all my power needs..only thing is line-of-sight for IR, but aiming under the pins shouldn't be a problem if the plug(s) aren't in the way of a subwoofer or other stuff in the way.
    EDIT: This is more like it... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09R2KCX9M/ref=sspa_dk_hqp_detail_aax_0
    THE ONLY DOWNSIDE IS THAT I WILL LOSE THE ABILITY TO TURN ON JUST ONE MACHINE, and will have to turn on 1 bank (maybe 3-4 pins) to play the one machine I want to play...

#21 8 days ago
    Quoted from KING-HENRY:

would be a cool product to sell (at least I'd buy it). Have a GUI that includes artwork for each pin, assignable and arrangable on the screen (or someone create a pin-power app for old/spare phone attached to the wall).

There's this option -

https://www.amazon.com/Echo-Hub/dp/B0BCR7M9KX/ref=sr_1_5

or something like these Brilliant panels that you can install in place of dumb light switches -

https://www.brilliant.tech/pages/smart-home-control

#22 8 days ago

Anyone ever use the Smart Electrician remotes? They just use a key fob to turn them on/off. I have a kit I bought from Menards just to control all the neon signs and black lights in my game room but haven’t yet tried them for my pins.

#23 7 days ago

I’ve never considered any of the convoluted options being discussed, because Alexa and smart plugs are easy and work well. I want less remotes, especially for just on and off needs. People are building houses without light switches

*I have considered the last two smart home control hub options I posted, but just for the cool factor.

#24 7 days ago

At home some are not plugged in at the current time. The ones that are 4 APC pro series 1000 to 1500 with extra battery and 2 APC are 1500 with extra battery, 1 with out extra battery, 1 is 1000 and a 1200. There are 2 Trip-lite 1200 All or buck boost type.

The pinball machines and 70's Stereo, computers with glass tube monitors and hub, a gateway to the web all backed up. You can't not have power go out and lose Pinside.

I have done a 2 hour run on stereo going and playing pinball and could of gone 3 hours but got sick on the beeping. No fancy switches here. I do it the old way

As to still do are 2 more APC 1500 with extra battery. I try to do this every 3 to 4 years. Yes have done new batteries in them before. But is almost as much as all new one. Then a surge suppressor one added to main breaker panel.

#25 7 days ago

having a 'smart home' is not an option for me..I'm almost 50 and I don't consider myself 'old'..I'm aware of certain things that I'd like to avoid..I like a few advanced things in the home, but not when it comes to home automation..I want a hybrid aproach without having AI or any other Alexa in my home.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/surge-protector-recommendation and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.