(Topic ID: 186565)

"Surfin the Tube" Club (Surf Champ, Surfer, surfing Pinballs)

By swinks

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 88 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 63 days ago by phototamer
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 60 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

gtbcoin2 (resized).jpg
gtbcoin2 (resized).jpg
IMG_0675 (resized).jpg
3F8909EC-A4AD-4C56-8D39-061ADC453E68 (resized).jpeg
A0D119F5-198A-49B6-8F79-4B91A0FD9B5F (resized).jpeg
E97EC57E-748B-432E-8A15-2CE8D7607AA2 (resized).jpeg
20190303_114125 (resized).jpg
20190303_114116 (resized).jpg
P1030753 (resized).JPG
P1030752 (resized).JPG
6798358F-B3E3-417F-B1ED-8E7A54A83139 (resized).jpeg
20181106_201005 (resized).jpg
20181106_201012 (resized).jpg
20181106_200416 (resized).jpg
20181104_114507 (resized).jpg
20181104_114502 (resized).jpg

There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 2 years ago

Was looking for a club for Gottlieb's Surfer and Surf Champ and couldn't find one so here it is, a thread dedicated to all things Surfing / Pinball

2 Player - Surfer (production number - apparently around 10070 games)
4 Player - Surf Champ (production number - 2700 games)

so please share colours for cab art, production numbers, problems and solutions.

surfchamppinball2 (resized).jpg

1f7636b6b0a2105fd3640bb3394e0136 (resized).jpg

51eee4c5c0d22c0fd42d47f6d9fc3318 (resized).jpg

IMG_20140531_162456 (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago

index of other helpful threads & links

potential Reproduction Playfields by Wade Krause
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wade-krause-repro-gottlieb-surf-champ-playfield

differences between Surfer and Surf Champ
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/surfer-vs-surf-champ#post-3651240

all games that have "Surf" in the name or surfing related
https://pinside.com/pinball/archive?token=&query=surf

#3 2 years ago

I regret letting this chance to buy a Bally Surfers, apparently a crap game but at least it is still surfing.
A picture also of my SC and also a very nice looking chicky.

surfers (resized).jpg

DSCN1561 (resized).jpg

Royal Flush (resized).jpg

#4 2 years ago

Have a Surfer here and want to join the club!

However, I think your numbers are flipped. There is the "Surfer versus Surf Champ" thread that has it different.

#5 2 years ago

Normally, I don't update here for specific games, but the low 1,070 (or 1,071) production run quantity that we got from Gottlieb data years ago has been such a puzzle to me and many others that I am glad to report that recently I was able to confirm some documents received by me a while back as authentic Gottlieb and these documents proved that the other Gottlieb document(s) that had indicated 1,070 were indeed an error, a mistake we all figured had to be there but, again, I needed to document their data and not what we hoped it would be.
The correct quantity is 10,070 units of Surf Champ. I have updated the listing to reflect this and added a few Notes.
http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2459
Our quantity of 2,700 units for Surfer is supported by this documentation.
Jay

#7 2 years ago

production numbers updated, thanks guys

#8 2 years ago

this one was ridden hard and put away wet. look after your classics they arent making any more of them

surferdead - 1 (resized).jpg

#9 2 years ago

Any room in this club for the original Surf Rider?

SR (resized).jpg

2463f1 (resized).jpg

#10 2 years ago

oooooooohhhhhhhhh yes please.

#11 2 years ago

I just need to find one.... wish me luck!

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

this one was ridden hard and put away wet. look after your classics they arent making any more of them

poor game

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Any room in this club for the original Surf Rider?

adjusted for all surfing pinballs

Quoted from o-din:

I just need to find one.... wish me luck!

good luck

#14 2 years ago

Surfer/surf champ. Best em game ever made.

#15 2 years ago

I've got a Surf Champ, and would looove a Surf Side...

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=surf+side&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#2464

Those production numbers in first post look wrong... I think you flipped them..?

#16 2 years ago

Sorry I can't join the club. The closest thing I have is a Baywatch. But it's been nice looking here.

3 weeks later
#17 2 years ago

Cowabunga Dude!

Cool tread!

Here are pics of my 1976 Gottlieb Surf Champ. One owner had it 30 years HUO. Original Backglass, Playfield, Legs, and Cabinet Paint.

DSC09390 (resized).JPG
DSC09339 (resized).JPG
DSC09369 (resized).JPG
DSC09371 (resized).JPG
DSC09365 (resized).JPG
DSC09401 (resized).JPG

#18 2 years ago

very very nice game

#19 2 years ago

Double surf champ owner here.

Had one of each style backbox (blue on yellow or yellow on blue)

One of my favourite Em's

#20 2 years ago

No love for Surf N' Safari?

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

Had one myself. Very neat Gottlieb Sys 3!

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

I have an SnS that I got pretty recently, and it's easily 300% more fun than I thought it would ever be. Just about everyone who plays it really likes it, too.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

Just added it to list at top.

#24 2 years ago

Hi Surfers! I have a line on the original Surf Rider...it is in very good condition and complete...stuffed in a basement for th past 25 years. Prior to that, it was in a small town pool hall. My question is...has anyne ever seen another or know of another Surf Rider? I have been looking around and I am coming to the conclusion that this one is the only one out there in decent/complete shape.

Anyone have a suggestion as to its value?

Thanks...I hope to pick it up this week! Jim

#25 2 years ago

If anyone is interested in a Bally Surfers in NWPA, PM me. Or check Craigslist. A friend of mine is selling one there.

#26 2 years ago

since this is a surfing pinball thread I will post a link to my custom surfing game that I am working on - Life's a Beach or Tube Time - undecided about the name at the moment.

If curious check it out and chime in if you want.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tube-time-custom-surfing-pin

#27 2 years ago

I have my surf n safari for sale.
It just had a great weekend at PAGG in Dixon ca. No flaws, no tech calls, no notes. There was someone always on it all weekend. Was very popular. 618 plays. Wow
Ive had almost 3 years and only put about 250 on it.
Pm me if you are in so cal area and interested. Will place an add next week when i have time with pictures.
Meet cliffy at show. Hes making me a circle cliffy for the saucer, snack bar. Thanks cliff!

20170519_143755 (resized).jpg

20170519_143752 (resized).jpg

#28 2 years ago

Added a surfer dude to my Surf Champ, and old Beach Bum Blonde Ale tap handle. I think he fits right in.

20170523_134108 (resized).jpg

20170523_134141 (resized).jpg

#29 2 years ago

Also found the perfect keychain fobs on ebay.

20170523_134036 (resized).jpg

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffk:

Added a Beach Bum Blonde surfer dude to my Surf Champ. I think he fits right in.

He looks kinda board to me.

3 weeks later
#31 2 years ago

here is a rarity

image-1 (resized).jpg

2 months later
#32 2 years ago

here is a unique one that was mentioned on another thread - Sega Surfing

#33 2 years ago

Very whacky! I like it

#34 2 years ago

So new to the Surf Champ club and have a question about the game. Both of my pop bumpers are firing simultaneously? I believe this is the correct behavior but I just wanted to confirm with some other owners as well. Thank you. -Tommy

#36 2 years ago

Thank you

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

So new to the Surf Champ club and have a question about the game. Both of my pop bumpers are firing simultaneously? I believe this is the correct behavior but I just wanted to confirm with some other owners as well. Thank you. -Tommy

Really? On my Surfer (2p version), they fire independently. (At least, I'm pretty certain they do -- I'm only second-guessing it because of this post!) I'll have to verify later, but presuming I'm corrent, I'm curious why this would be different on an almost identical game.

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Really? On my Surfer (2p version), they fire independently. (At least, I'm pretty certain they do -- I'm only second-guessing it because of this post!) I'll have to verify later, but presuming I'm correct, I'm curious why this would be different on an almost identical game.

I read through some old RGP threads yesterday and that is where I discovered it. The consensus seemed to be that it wasn't a big deal, but for those that it really bothered they could simply wire in a separate relay.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.games.pinball/YSO6UrwuZ2s

2 months later
#39 2 years ago

I’m new to the club and looking for a decent Surf Champ Backglass if anyone can help me out.

#40 2 years ago

Catch a wave Bump

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

Catch a wave Bump

Ninjaboot- Are the apron magnets dead?
Still like a Gilligan's Island. Is your website down?

#42 2 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Ninjaboot- Are the apron magnets dead?
Still like a Gilligan's Island. Is your website down?

No they aren’t. We’ve been inundated with other projects as well my artist is currently under contract so her time is limited for the next short while. We have been working(slowly) on a few things and new mod(which will be ready hopefully this week).
Gillian’s Island has kinda turned into a white elephant for us. It’s been difficult to nail down a design. The existing art is so bad we are having troubles making something work. I’m open to ideas if you have any? Might be better to carry over into a Gillian’s Club Thread?
Not sure what happened to the site. My friend is helping me out with it. Hopefully back up and running soon.

1 month later
#43 1 year ago

Still looking for a backglass

2 months later
#44 1 year ago

I’ve got a 4player Surf Champ that is in a long process of restoration. Pulled it out of a friend’s parents garage. Cabinet was painted a horrible brown color. Backglass pretty good, some flaking, playfield has wear down middle from cupped inserts, and around drops/kickout.

Cleaned up well, was able to get enough brown paint off cab to make stencils. So full cab repaint coming this spring.

Plastics and mechanics look great. Everything cleaned up nice. Score reals are yellowed, haven’t tackled them yet. First attempt I wiped off part of a digit straight away. Same with the art on the metal apron. I’ve learned a lot since then, much more careful these days.

Not sure about playfield...got seriously cupped inserts to deal with and some paint touch ups, I really should clear it to fix all this properly, but that’s a whole other ball game.

Hoping for Wade to screen some new playfields, that would be incredible.

I’ll post some photos soon.

#45 1 year ago

Sold my Surf Champ and now out of the club as we needed the money to pay bills.

Bogus Dude!

Hope to join again in the future, great rule set and the best for competition playing.

6 months later
#46 1 year ago

I just joined this club today. This will be my first Gottlieb and my first EM. I have wanted one for over 5 years now, and last year I decided to get out of ownership but the pinball gods pulled me back in. Can anyone ever truly leave pinball forever?

It's still in the back of my RAV4 so, no pics of yet. The game lights up but that's pretty much it. All the bones are there and it's pretty clean. I made sure of that. Looks to be in good shape. I think it has over 100,000 plays on it! Is that normal?

I have no idea where to start with EMs so, I'll be asking lots of questions. Lots, and stupid ones. Like... How do I add a credit without using a quarter? THis should be a fun learning curve.

Looks like I'm in good company here as I recognize a few avatars.

#47 1 year ago
Quoted from Fifty:

I just joined this club today. This will be my first Gottlieb and my first EM. I have wanted one for over 5 years now, and last year I decided to get out of ownership but the pinball gods pulled me back in. Can anyone ever truly leave pinball forever?
It's still in the back of my RAV4 so, no pics of yet. The game lights up but that's pretty much it. All the bones are there and it's pretty clean. I made sure of that. Looks to be in good shape. I think it has over 100,000 plays on it! Is that normal?
I have no idea where to start with EMs so, I'll be asking lots of questions. Lots, and stupid ones. Like... How do I add a credit without using a quarter? THis should be a fun learning curve.
Looks like I'm in good company here as I recognize a few avatars.

You buy the one on Kijiji for 400$?

#48 1 year ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

You buy the one on Kijiji for 400$?

Yep. Nice guy. Fixes jukeboxes too.

It's not working, but lights up and all the parts are there and it look to be in good shape. I figured for $400 I couldn't go wrong. I was surprised it was even available. Things get scooped up here within hours (minutes) and I was pretty ho hum about meeting up with the seller.

1 week later
#49 1 year ago

Alright, I finally got some photos. I'll be the first one to admit this game looks a mess. It is setup in my basement.

When you plug in the game it lights up (partially) and that's it. I decided to pull the playfield right out. I am guessing I am going to have to work in the belly of this beast for a while. I have started reading up on EM repair using http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index1.htm#top but without a manual/schematics yet there is only so much I'm able to do.

Here are some pictures. It appears I'm missing two relays (replaced with modern ones) and I'm not sure if I'm missing a relay by the transformer/coin relay. Maybe one of you guys can let me know.

Here are the ugly truth photos. Not much of this scares me. It's a mess, but most of it is pretty clean.

20181028_151612 (resized).jpg
20181028_151746 (resized).jpg
20181028_151700 (resized).jpg
20181028_151652 (resized).jpg
20181028_151648 (resized).jpg
20181028_151629 (resized).jpg
20181028_151617 (resized).jpg

Backbox

20181028_151740 (resized).jpg
20181028_151737 (resized).jpg
20181028_151731 (resized).jpg

So where do I start?

#50 1 year ago

congrats, pm sent

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 8.40
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 249.00
$ 269.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 50.00
$ 7.49
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 89.99
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods
$ 37.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 55.95
Boards
Allteksystems
There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside