clear4_(resized).jpg
clear3_(resized).jpg
clear2_(resized).jpg
clear1_(resized).jpg
20150401_194812.jpg
20150224_205531.jpg
20140617_221252.jpg
WhosTurnIsIt.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dirtflipper.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Nate:

This is probably a rhetorical question, but does anyone have inside information on how many Surf Champs were actually made? IBPD and and the Mr. Pinball Guide indicate 1,070 Surf Champs (4 player) where made, and 2,700 Surfers (2 player) were made.
I have a Surf Champ and love it. Given how many I have seen over the years I have to think that far more than 1,070 were made. Heck, the Pacific Pinball Museum has converted at least three to see through games.
Thanks
Nate

If you look at the Internet Serial Number Database for Surf Champ, there are 50 submissions, which is a pretty solid sampling size:
http://www.ipsnd.net/View.aspx?id=2459

Tossing out the sample game numbers, the lowest production ser# is 5076, and the highest is 14995.

I'd guess they started at 5000 or 5001, which would put the production more like 10,000. Now, if the 1,070 was a 'typo', then perhaps it really is 10,700.

By comparison, Surfer shows about 25 submissions:
http://www.ipsnd.net/View.aspx?id=2465

Ignoring the one sample game, and the one game with an anomalous ser# (guessing it was for a Surf Champ), the reported production serials seem to span 4385 to 6496, which would suggest a bit more than 2100 produced. So maybe they started at 4000 or 4001, went to 6500 and had a couple hundred sample games. But the serial# span is in the ballpark of the reported production.

Based on this, I'd think Surf Champ was more likely a ~10,000 game production (as was Spirit of '76, for example).

#20 9 years ago

I much prefer 2-player versions, when available. Set on 3-ball play, it's only one more ball per 2-player game than a 5-ball wedgehead, so the games are still quick and keep people's interest.

They are more challenging to find too, so from a collector's perspective, that's part of the fun.

And if you work on them, the backboxes can still be maneuvered on your own for the most part. A 4-player backbox is a two-person job.

Usually better artwork on 2-player games too, since they didn't have to sacrifice space for more score reels. And they didn't do funky scaling on the size of the artwork either (the 4-player versions often seem 'small'). And the stencils are the same between the 2-player and 4-player backboxes, which leave the 4-player versions' artwork a bit 'short' on the sides.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hoover, AL
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dirtflipper.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/surfer-vs-surf-champ?tu=dirtflipper and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.