Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by ovendust
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

So player one on my Surfer will not fully reset and i have tried everything I can think of. Here is the breakdown of the issue:
The 10, 100, 1k player 1 score reels only move one number during the reset. The game then is ready to play but the score is not at 0. However if I score the 10k reel then they all reset correctly.

Player 2 resets correctly every time regardless of the score.

Any ideas? I have cleaned all of the reels and adjusted the switches.

#2 8 years ago

sounds like the 10k reel holds the answer.maybe. chk the switches again?
also have a look at the score reset switches...maybe.
dont have that pin, kinda guessing here.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from Dr_of_Style:

sounds like the 10k reel holds the answer.maybe. chk the switches again?

Dr_of_style must be right. One of the contacts on the reel must be open if the reel is on zero, and closed on other numbers. (this contact is used to reset the reel.
If I was you, I would compare the first player reels with the second player reels

#4 8 years ago

I have resolved the issue and hopefully this will help someone else down the road. I went back through the manual to isolate where the reset was failing:

"The 1st player score unit resets to zero through the P3 switch stack on the player unit and motor switch 1A. When these units reach zero the player unit steps once, the 2nd player score unit resets to zero through the P4 switch stack on the player unit an motor switch 1A."

So I targeted the P3 switch stack on the player unit in the backbox. I manually dialed up a score and reset the game. I quickly manually engaged the entire P3 switch stack and kept it engaged until all the Player 1 reels went to zero. So this told me that the P3 switch stack and the reels were working correctly.

Working backwards through the previous step from the manual, I moved onto the motor switch 1A in the cab. This was the next logical place as the P3 switch was working but not staying engaged long enough to reset all of the reels. So I cleaned and adjusted the 1A switches on the motor and this resolved the issue. So my guess is that one or more of the 1A switches were barely making contact allowing for only one pulse to the P3 switch stack. This intermittent connection stopped the score reels reset prematurely.

Thanks for the feedback!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hoover, AL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/surfer-score-reel-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.