Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20151007_094228.jpg
20151007_094214.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Ok i have a surfer pinball. The problem i am having with it right now is the motor under the playfield does not stop running. I had it working then it was like something just keep scoring and scoring. I shut it off and when i turned it back on the reset motor i guess it is under the playfield just keeps turning and turning. Anyone have any idea what it could be? If there was a stuck scoring switch would it cause this?

#2 8 years ago

See if the bonus unit is back to the zero position...ie manually get it there

#3 8 years ago

Pinhead52 thanks for the reply. The bonus unit is back to zero. If i turn it up one the 1000 light comes on and the step down coil starts up to take it back down. The motor still just keeps running.

#4 8 years ago

I would get a schematic from PBR.

#5 8 years ago

is the score continuously going up as well? If so you have a switch stuck on the playfield. Put new rubber on recently?

#6 8 years ago

Dasvis i have a manual and schematics. Practicalsteve the game was working i was rolling the ball aroung with glass off. Then all of a suden something just keep scoring. I turned the game off. When i turned it back on the motor under the playfield would not quit turning. It does not score now because you can not start a game the motor just keeps turning.

#7 8 years ago

Manually reset:

- all score reels to 0
- any relay banks (Sequence bank)
- any interlock relays to their unlatched position (AX, BX)
- any other stepper units to 0 (Bonus Unit)

Then try to start a game and see how far it gets. Otherwise, on the schematic there's the symbol for the score motor ('M' in a circle) along with the logic circuit of all the switches that cause it to run. If the motor continues to run, then check each of those relays to see which one is energized. Then can work from there to determine what is causing it to energize.

#8 8 years ago

Dirtflipper i will try all that tomorrow. Do you know if a stuck score switch could cause the reset motor to just keep running?

#9 8 years ago

Anything that is a multiple of a point relay would (e.g. 500 pt, 5000 pt), and the hole does too I think.

#10 8 years ago

Ok got back to it this morning. Dont know if this is the problem but i did find a broken actuator for 1st ball relay. The coil is really dark also. I am going to order both parts from steve. When they come in i will go from there. Thanks for your help so far. Will be back once i get parts

1 week later
#11 8 years ago

Got the parts in. Replaced the 1st ball coil and actuator and the whole game works know. Thanks for the help all.

#13 8 years ago

Ok i spoke to soon. Everything works great except when i start a game. It all resets like it should the 1st ball light comes on then it kicks the ball out but then it swithes over to the 2nd ball and 2nd ball light comes on. Then the 3rd 4th and 5th ball does fine. Any ideas what would cause it to just change over to 2nd ball after kicking the ball out.

#14 8 years ago

check your first ball relay, a contact should be open as this relay is non energized until you score something.

#15 8 years ago

Pinhead52 thanks i will check that tommorow. I had to replace the 1st ball coil and actuator and i had nothing to go by as far as what place the switch leafs went in. So one of them is probably in the wrong place.

#16 8 years ago

Would anyone have a close up pic of the 1st ball relay? As far as how the switches should be with game turned on but no game started. When i turn my game on the relay pulls in and all of the 1st ball relay switches are made except for 1. The thing is they are the same way before the relay pulls in. Any help would be great. Everything else works but this problem.

#17 8 years ago

Ive got the bottom board out while I paint my cab

left side, de-energized form C at the top, then two NO contact sets.
20151007_094214.jpg20151007_094214.jpg

Right side NC top then two NO contacts.
20151007_094228.jpg20151007_094228.jpg

1st ball relay only energizes after scoring and stays energized until game is reset. As you can see in mine its a little toasty and needs replacing.

Ken

#18 8 years ago

Pinhead52 thanks. What did you mean by
the left side, de-energized form C at the top, then two NO contact sets. There is 4 switches on this side. I think i just dont understand. I understand and can see the right side.

#19 8 years ago

To re-iterate, once setup is complete, and the machine goes to kick out ball one, the 1st ball relay should not be energized otherwise when the ball hits the trough switch it will advance to ball 2.

#20 8 years ago

"de-energized" was the overall state of the relay at pic time.

Left side, top contacts are a form C, ie a NC side, then center lead moves down when energized to complete another contact. So Form C is a combo NC NO switch.

#21 8 years ago

If your 1st ball relay is staying energized thru the reset process then... check the ax, with ax resetting, this should drop the 1st ball (U). Otherwise 1st ball is a self maintaining/lacking relay.

#22 8 years ago

"form C" = a make/break switch (Gottlieb designated this as a 'C' type switch)

"NO" = normally open (Gottlieb designated this as an 'A' type switch)

"NC" = normally closed (Gottlieb designated this a 'B' type switch)

On the schematic, in the relay table under the 'Contacts' column you'll find the quantity and type of switches listed for each relay.

#23 8 years ago

Thanks everyone. I got it going. After adjusting the switches i noticed that when you turn power switch on the 1st ball relay energizes. Then when you start a game it de energizes. Then once you score the first points it energizes again. Everything is working.

#24 8 years ago

Ok game is working good. The problem i have with it is it will not start 2nd player. I turn the game on i hit start button it does the reset and 1 player light comes on. Then when i hit the start button again it will not start turn on the 2 player light. If i start playing it just goes through 1st player ball 1-5. Any ideas.

#25 8 years ago

A 2nd player can be added as long as the 1st Ball hasn't scored points on Player 1 (and activated the 1st Ball relay).

So.... 1st Ball relay perhaps?

#26 8 years ago

Thanks DirtFlipper you where correct not adjusted right. It is working.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hoover, AL
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/surfer-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.