• Latest reply 10 years ago by mrgone
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

surfer-score-motor-section.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I finally got around to soldering in my bonus unit on a Surfer I bought a little while ago and fired up the machine to see what gremlin lurk. It did start up but at first I had no playfield lights and after a quick search I found a thread about reseating a jones plug by the tilt bob on an old Bally and that saw I had something similar and gave it a shot. Now all the lights come on, but the machine still has a few quirks for the moment. After the first game the tilt got stuck but that seems better now. And the score reel need cleaning. I think I'm going to need to clean all the switches and start systematically going through things.

Big ones on the list:
- 5k gets added at game start and subsequent balls when launched to the shooting lane.
- bonus lights don't always come on when I think they should and sometimes I get extra lights on 1k, 2k, 3k after I reach 10k bonus (two lights are on). Not sure if that's due to my soldering skills or not. bonus goes up to 15k, nevermind
- Not sure if this is an issue but the bonus lights don't count down on ball end. I get the bonus added to the score but it seems like the lights should be part of the count down? After watching gameplay video again I think it just goes really fast and some of my sockets are flaky.
- Ball end doesn't always add 500 (sometimes more, sometimes less)
- ball count doesn't seem to be advancing/showing correctly sometimes (5 light used to be on constantly but now is working better) sometimes the game is over in 3 balls and sometimes you get more than 5 (on 5 ball setting)
- points get added randomly to player 2 sometimes too in a one player game

I think overall after I clean all the switches things might be a bit better. I don't know how long the machine actually sat nonfunctional but I'm going to guess it was a while. Now it has a good home though. I'm really excited to get this one up and running. I also need to clean it up and do some playfield touch up but overall I think I'm pretty close.

Time to start putting all of the good posts I've been reading to use.

#2 10 years ago

Good luck! I love my Surf Champ. Really fun game.

#3 10 years ago

I played yours when I visited about the Grand Prix and that had me start looking for one. So thanks again for the hospitality.

I'm really looking forward to cleaning this one up and getting it in the line up.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from ahanson:

I finally got around to soldering in my bonus unit on a Surfer I bought a little while ago and fired up the machine to see what gremlin lurk. It did start up but at first I had no playfield lights and after a quick search I found a thread about reseating a jones plug by the tilt bob on an old Bally and that saw I had something similar and gave it a shot. Now all the lights come on, but the machine still has a few quirks for the moment. After the first game the tilt got stuck but that seems better now. And the score reel need cleaning. I think I'm going to need to clean all the switches and start systematically going through things.
Big ones on the list:

- 5k gets added at game start and subsequent balls when launched to the shooting lane.

Check for a switch that scores 5k - it's probably gapped to close and vibration causes it to score

- bonus lights don't always come on when I think they should and sometimes I get extra lights on 1k, 2k, 3k after I reach 10k bonus (two lights are on). Not sure if that's due to my soldering skills or not. bonus goes up to 15k, nevermind
- Not sure if this is an issue but the bonus lights don't count down on ball end. I get the bonus added to the score but it seems like the lights should be part of the count down? After watching gameplay video again I think it just goes really fast and some of my sockets are flaky.
- Ball end doesn't always add 500 (sometimes more, sometimes less)

- ball count doesn't seem to be advancing/showing correctly sometimes (5 light used to be on constantly but now is working better) sometimes the game is over in 3 balls and sometimes you get more than 5 (on 5 ball setting)

Have you wet through your ball count stepper and removed the coil plunger and sleeve and cleaned? - also check your coil stop to make sure it's not mushroomed or pitted. Have you de-gunked it or lightly lubed the ball count unit (all levers, moving parts, etc.) to free up the old lubricant? Also, I use a scotch brite pad to clea the rivets on the bakelite disc and add a light film of "Super Lube" to the rivets. When your done you can manually depress the coil plunger that advances through the balls and it should "snap" back if it's workking properly. A dirty or gummed up ball count unit will give you the problems you're describing. The 1st thing I do when I shop a game is to go through all my steppers, score reels, and jones plug connectors to make sure they're clean and adjusted properly before anything else.

- points get added randomly to player 2 sometimes too in a one player game

Determine which points are getting added 1st. My guess is the 5k from above and if you find that switch that is gapped too close it may solve this too.

I think overall after I clean all the switches things might be a bit better.

Be carefulI when you clean all switches. You may cause more problems by cleaning and adjusting than what you started with. If you have been doing this awhile and understand the different gaps, relays, etc., then it's fine, but I don't suggest it to someone that doesn't have several games under their belt.

don't know how long the machine actually sat nonfunctional but I'm going to guess it was a while.

That's usually what causes most of the problems - dirty steppers where the lubricant has dried and it will affect the performance of your game.

Now it has a good home though. I'm really excited to get this one up and running. I also need to clean it up and do some playfield touch up but overall I think I'm pretty close.
Time to start putting all of the good posts I've been reading to use.

Good luck and have fun!

#5 10 years ago

OK, so I've been playing with stuff and I have some issues.

- The 'Add Player' relay is triggering as the ball enters the shooting lane (with the rollover switch) and adds 5k points on each ball kick out or if I manually trigger the leaf switch. No idea what might be causing that. Not sure what I should be checking or adjusting.
- Ball count unit is acting funny too and often skipping player two in a two player game.
- Sometimes when playing 3 or 5 ball games after the last ball I loose ball count and keep feeding balls indefinitely. Guessing related to ball count unit?
- 500 bonus is flaky (both 500 relay and 500 with add bonus relay do it), sometimes 400, 500, 600, 700 points are awarded. Not sure what to adjust or look for.

What posts do I need to go read?

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from ahanson:

What posts do I need to go read?

The schematic.

Really though, the thing to do is to focus on one symptom/behavior at a time, and check the logic path on the schematic, then methodically check each element on that path and either correct it, or isolate to where the problem has to be (and then fix it).

(So for example, getting the next higher score reel incrementing suggests that the 9th position switch on the adjacent lower value score reel is gapped too closely.)

Sounds like most of the issues are a mixture of switches needed cleaning/adjusting, and possibly sticky stepper units.

Happy to help with it as needed.

#7 10 years ago

Got the score reel figured out from pinwiki but the player unit not advancing and 5k bonus on ball kickout is confusing me. I'm trying to read the score motor switch positions but not getting what the chart means.

I'm a picture person. These schematics drive me crazy, but I'm happy to learn.

#8 10 years ago

Post a snippet of the score motor switch positions in question; not sure which chart you're looking at.

#9 10 years ago

I'm not sure how to read the grid and understand when switches should be open or closed or match it up with when something elsewhere in the schematic says 'Motor 1C' or something similar. I'm going to try and focus on the 5k ball trough issue on each ball and then move to the player unit issues.

surfer-score-motor-section.jpgsurfer-score-motor-section.jpg
#10 10 years ago

If you're referring the to Motor Sequence Chart, that's something you'll likely never need to rely on. But it's the timing chart that shows which switches are closed at what point in the revolution.

If you're referring to the table above that, it shows what type and how many switches are present at each position, plus whether there's a 'dogbone' present at that position and which notch the lifter arm is in (all will be in the 'S' position except at score motor position 2 - all Gottliebs are like that). Each row is the position around the score motor bracket, and each lettered column is the position on the switch stack bracket at that position. They are lettered A through E, going from bottom to top, and are fixed positions (as shown in the picture above the picture of the 'dogbone').

In each box of that table then is the quantity and type of switch (A=normally open, B=normally closed, C=make/break).

So - when reading the schematic and you see things like 'motor 1C', this really isn't the info to use.

When the schematic says 'motor 1C', it's referring to a switch at score motor position 1, in switch stack position C. To find out exactly *which* switch, you need to refer to the list of score motor switches. Sometimes this is stapled on the left inside of the cabinet, and on later games, this info is inside the operator's manual instead. There will be a list of all the switches and what they control, so the specific one related to the logic path being debugged can be identified.

Whew!

#11 10 years ago

Thanks. Didn't know about the switch types before and that makes more sense. As I've been futsing with the game I noticed that the drop targets aren't resetting on startup or between balls but are if I drop them all and hit all the rollovers. I'm wondering if that might have something to do with the 5k issue. It also appears that the bonus rollovers in positions 2 and 4 are linked somehow because if I hit either one the other one goes at the same time. So much to learn.

#12 10 years ago

OK, silly me. After reading the schematics I see that the rollovers are tied together in 3 ball setting. I think I'm going to set it back to 5 ball to make sure I work on things in what will be the normal play mode.

#13 10 years ago

Well I got the drop targets resetting again after adjusting the reset relay but I still have the scoring issue and now my bonus hole kicker isn't triggering from the ball. It will trigger if I hold down the hole relay though.

#14 10 years ago

Well I have progress and set backs. I was continuing to check connections and make sure I didn't have any solder joints touching each other and I ended up spotting a random nut that was touching my playfield jones plugs. I removed it and now my 5k point issue on each ball is gone! I'm still getting some random points on the player two score when advancing to the next ball but it's not as frequent.

The setback though is after removing the nut and going through some of the relays checking for shorts now my outhole isn't triggering and it was before so I messed that up somehow.

Two big problems remain now:

1. Bonus hole isn't kicking when the ball goes in it (it used to though). If I trigger the hole relay manually the kicker will trigger and score bonus but the leaf switch isn't starting the process. Not sure where that connects to but I did check continuity at the leaf and it is making contact.

2. Outhole isn't working now after first ball, but first ball does still kick out. Used to work but similar to the hole relay the leaf switch isn't triggering whatever it needs to now.

If I can get these two things fixed I think the game is pretty close.

Oh and mods can move this to the em-tech board if they wish.

#15 10 years ago

Surfer is finally working! It's been incredibly frustrating but also a good learning experience. I adjusted the bonus relay, the 5000 bonus relay and the Q relay and got everything working. I think I'm starting to understand some of the schematics too. For a bit I was having an issue with the ball count and player lights and was able to fix that but then messed up the outhole. A quick adjustment to the game over relay finished off all of the problems and the game seems like it's all working.

I am still having a flaky 500 point score issue (on both players) but otherwise everything seems like it's set. I'm not sure if it might be the timing on the score motor or perhaps I just need some new coil sleeves. I'm pretty happy to tonight though. Now on to cleaning.

#16 10 years ago

Congrats ahanson!

2 weeks later
#18 10 years ago

SURFS UP!
CONGRATS!
Joe

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Garrett:

Congrats ahanson!

Yes indeed!

Cowabunga!!!

Ken

#20 10 years ago

awesome! I played surf champ over the weekend at ppm. I have not played it in nearly 30 years. before last weekend. its still one of the best games ever made imo. enjoy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hoover, AL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/surfer-in-progress and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.