Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by fixintoplay
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png

#1 1 year ago

Hi guys,

I am at the stage where I want to replace the flippers on my Surfer. They are cracked and badly faded.

I am looking at PBR and they are talking about thin and thick flipper shafts. I am not sure which I need. Do I need them?

http://www.pbresource.com/flippers/gtb-a13154.jpg

http://www.pbresource.com/flippers/gtb-a15531.jpg

Does anyone know which one Surfer uses? I do not want to take apart the flippers until I have the new parts as this is the only pin I have at the moment and it is playable.

Thank you!

#2 1 year ago

Pretty sure Surfer uses thick, but I'm sure a quick call to pbr can confirm

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Pretty sure Surfer uses thick, but I'm sure a quick call to pbr can confirm

I get nervous talking to him over the phone. I think I've heard one too many stories about not being prepared when you call PBR. Ha!

I am sure someone here knows. I'll play the waiting game and hope for a few more posts from members.

#4 1 year ago

Email is much easier than calling, if a bit slower

pasted_image (resized).png
#5 1 year ago

zacaj I agree, but the email draft I have put together has over 20 items I am ordering and I didn't want to add any more confusion to it.

Is the image you posted from the Surfer manual?

So... THICK shoe and shaft?

#6 1 year ago

It's from the 1978 parts manual. The thin shoes seem to be for the older style, two part flipper mechs, while the thick shaft is used on the newer single part mechs because of their unique double bushings. My surf champ uses that style mech, I assume surfer does as well.

#7 1 year ago

Thick...….bought them myself recently

#8 1 year ago

zacaj mrbanjo Thank you!

mrbanjo I'll have to visit Ottumwa some day. Sounds like the sister city to my location.

#9 1 year ago

I think he just wants to replace the white bats. He should use bat # A13150 ($1.95 each).

http://www.pbresource.com/flippers.html#3in

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

I think he just wants to replace the white bats. He should use bat # A13150 ($1.95 each).
http://www.pbresource.com/flippers.html#3in

I was going to replace the bats and the shoe/shaft. I'm guessing they shaft has never been replaced. Is it metal or plastic? I can't tell from the picture as it is all black. My guess is metal so maybe I don't need it.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Fifty:

I was going to replace the bats and the shoe/shaft. I'm guessing they shaft has never been replaced. Is it metal or plastic? I can't tell from the picture as it is all black. My guess is metal so maybe I don't need it.

Metal, yes. Sometimes they do get rusty though, so can't hurt to have one on hand

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from Fifty:

The shaft can get nicking and scarring on it where the set screws are tightened down. If someone has put the flipper in the wrong location and then wrenched on the set screw hard, it can be difficult to adjust. They're cheap, just replace them.

#13 1 year ago

EMsInKC is spot on -- just replace the shafts when rebuilding flippers. No-brainer. And I empathize with you about talking to Steve Young -- I avoid it. There's really no need to talk to him about anything. Here's a hint when dealing with PBR: Always send your email order with your machine referenced by title, manufacturer and date of manufacture, in addition to your list of needed parts. You don't necessarily have to provide exact part numbers, although I do when I have them. (In your case: "2 ea. - flipper shafts" is all you need.) Jimmy, who is very knowledgeable, handles email orders and will know which parts to pull as long as he has the right game reference. If he doesn't, he'll message you with any questions to clarify. (BTW - they're the thick ones -- I've replaced them on my Surf Champ, sister machine to Surfer).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 10.00
Tools
Granby Games
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 87.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 1,348.00
$ 289.00
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 239.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 69.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 26.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Playfield - Protection
Little Shop Of Games
$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
COINTAKER.COM
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
£ 29.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside