• Latest reply 5 years ago by MarkG
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Credit unit (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Surfer credit unit skipping numbers on down step.
Example: 10 credits on game push replay/credit button 1x, now 8 credits on game.
(6 or 5 sometimes down to 0) I cleaned the unit with alchohol and when i step it down manually
by pushing the coil in it steps one step at a time.
Any ideas?
Thanx

#2 5 years ago

Read this: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#steps

Would have to see the schematic if it's not the unit.

#3 5 years ago

First I'd double check that you're only getting a single decrement pulse to the credit unit either by watching it carefully when you (have someone else) hit the credit button, or using a lamp tester.

If you're satisfied that there's just one subtract pulse have a close look at the decrement lever arm pointed to in the bottom half of this photo:
Credit unit (resized).jpgCredit unit (resized).jpg
The top half shows the credit unit at rest and the bottom half shows the decrement arm activated at the start of a step down. The short horizontal arm drops between the teeth of the gear to keep if from stepping down more than one step. That small arm should move very easily back and forth around the shoulder bolt pivot on the right end. If that arm is binding somehow you might see multiple credits subtracted because it takes that arm longer than it should to drop between the gear teeth. The video of this stepping process is at www.funwithpinball.com/small-boards#CreditUnit

/Mark

#4 5 years ago

Lever arm sticking or the clock spring wound incorrectly.

#5 5 years ago

It can also be the increment arm that follows the teeth. If this one is stuck as soon as you go to increment it drops all the way back to zero.

#6 5 years ago

Thanx I will check this out as soon as I can. Is there a procedure for winding the spring?
I have cleaned everything(with out completely disassembling) I am thinking the spring is wound too tight
Thanx

#7 5 years ago

I usually use 4 turns on Gottlieb stepper springs like this one. Start with the spring completely relaxed, then wind the loose end around the axle 4 times before fixing it to its anchor.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hoover, AL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/surfer-credit-unit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.