You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0Orbit-Work-31 (resized).jpg
IMG_1588 (resized).JPG
0Surf-Champ-mine-Transformer-Work-01 (resized).JPG
#1 4 years ago

Hello, this is my first post as I am new to this forum. I have owned for about 15 years a Surfer Champs by Gottlieb. It was in storage for 5 years and I plugged it back again for the first time two weeks ago. I changed all the rubber rings, replaced a few bulbs and played a few games. All was good until the drop targets started to malfunction. At first, they would only reset if at least one was remaining. But if all were down, they would not reset correctly. They go up, but drop immediately. Now even if one or two are up, the other 3 won't stick up.

I am not comfortable taking everything apart so before I do anything, I was wondering if it is a common problem that can be fixed by adjusting a screw or something. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Added over 4 years ago:

The game is Surf Champ, sorry for the confusion.

#2 4 years ago

You need to have a closer look to check out whats going on it could be a easy fix.
Sounds like the unit will need to be overhauled, probably gummed up over the years, could be done from under the playfield but best to remove for a strip & clean, its not terribly hard just time, effort & research.

#3 4 years ago

Hi @combi4 , Welcome to pinside!

Are you referring to the game Surfer or Surf Champ?

What you describe could be an electrical or a mechanical problem. I'll need to know what game you have to tell you more.

#4 4 years ago

Do you have Surf Champ, 4 player game by Gottlieb. Lift playfield and check to make sure all screw/bolts are tight on drop target bank. I had a game that was doing what you described and that's all that it needed.

#5 4 years ago

I have the entire drop target assembly if anyone needs it

#6 4 years ago

Wow, I had no idea this forum was so active. It's great to see that so many people are ready to help. So Yes, I meant Surf Champ , the 4 player version of Surfer . I will first try to clean it from under the playfield and tighten all the screws and bolts. Some are hard to reach so I might need to remove the assembly. woody76 , if I can't repair the assembly, would you be ready to sell the entire drop target assembly to me?

I have an additional question. I have a European version on the game, so it is in 220v. I currently use a converter to play. It looks like it might be possible to convert it to 110 (there is a label to that effect under the playfield. Is it just a matter of rewiring, or do I have to replace the transformer? Is it worth the trouble?

Thanks again to you all.

#7 4 years ago

Hi Combi4
I pick the 220Volt - 110Volt problem. I live in Switzerland, Europe, 220Volts (by now rather 230Volts). Please do not yet work on Your Surf Champ "220Volt problem". See the JPG - my Surf Champ set for 220Volt. Big question: Does Your pin looks the same - especially: IS THERE the Adj-Plug ? After You have answered I may have to say "Sorry - I can not help" or hopefully I then can proceed in talking "220V<->110V". Greetings Rolf

0Surf-Champ-mine-Transformer-Work-01 (resized).JPG0Surf-Champ-mine-Transformer-Work-01 (resized).JPG
#8 4 years ago

It's unlikely your drop target unit is beyond repair. They are reasonably serviceable - just need time and patience - bonus is that afterwards you'll understand how it works! There are plenty of resources out there - here's a video going over the procedure:

#9 4 years ago

Perhaps I have good news here. I had literally the exact same problem and I was able to solve it myself. Although mine is 120V, so I can't speak to the 220Vpart of the situation.

First let me state, Surf Champ is my first EM that i purchased with many known issues. Also, prior to that I have no pinball experience, although I've been studying feverishly for about 6 months now, so I'm learning and I'm making progress (in many cases doing exactly what you are doing with help here). Just take what i say with a grain of salt, as I'm no expert.

On the drop target one you are experiencing....I tried all sorts of things but attribute my ultimate success to the following:

1) Adjusting the "throw" of the coil plunger. Easy to do, but needs to be done exactly right. Loosen the screws on the coil, you then have the ability to slide adjust the coil forward or backward to impact how high it pushes the targets up. In my case, with the bracket loose and coil stop in the far away position, I needed to push the plunger manually all the way down (not the bar -- which I tried first, no, literally put your finger on the plunger itself (not the connecting rod, the plunger itself!!!) and push it as far down as it will physically move...all the way, no slack), then holding it there, move the coil stop to just meet the plunger. Then clamp the coil bracket back down. After that, inspect to ensure this is not forcing the targets up too high posing a risk to breaking off the "feet" on the bottom of each. In my case this was not an issue at all...I need all the throw I could get and didn't have to worry about that. Anyway, After I did that it has reset fine ever since, but I'll mention other things I believe also may have contributed in a positive way
2) Take a q tip and 91% alcohol (be very careful with the red surfer girl graphics, as you can very easily wipe it right off!!!), and clean the grunge off the targets where they slide through the bracketry down below to smooth that action. Tons of dirt in there on mine adding friction.
3) If 1 and 2 don't work, try looking at the tension the reset "fingers" apply to the switches on the back of the unit as they make their way up to the reset position. In my case, there was a lack of uniformity as to when/where the finger contacted the leaf switch on the way up. also there was lack of uniformity with respect to how much pressure was being applied by the leaf switches on the way up. Before I won the battle with step #1, messing with this to reduce friction on the way up did provide me some improvement, but be careful as it seems to me that too little tension on the way up isn't the right answer either...need to find the right balance. Too little friction, caused me to loose progress, so I went methodically and reversed some steps if I say the wrong reaction.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions on that or want further clarifications.

#10 4 years ago

I forgot to mention one other thing...check the solder joints on the target reset relay tabs. On mine, one was weak and ultimately came completely off, which required me to resolder it back on. That may also have conceivably been contributing to reduced power to the coil before it totally failed. Just trying to remember everything I went through along the way to fixing that issue...

#11 4 years ago

Thanks so much for all the advice. With more time on my hands than usually I will take your advice and remove the unit to clean and adjust it. I will also take a picture of the transformer for rolf_martin_062 . Will report my (hopefully) success shortly.

#12 4 years ago

No problem. If it were me, I'd run through the steps that worked for me before completely removing (and especially disassembling) the unit to see if that fixes the problem. In my case there was dirt that could be cleaned up with it in place, but the coil and plunger and the basic mechanism was working quite freely...depends on what's going on for you as to how to proceed. In the absence of a major gunked up unit, I'd be worried a more wholesale change would be likely to introduce further variability that will be even tougher (especially for a novice like me) to contain. Just my 2 cents Best wishes...I'll be interested to hear how it works out!

#13 4 years ago

So I tried what Aper-caper suggested. And I do have some progress. After cleaning up as much as I could without removing the target assembly, the targets reset unless there are more than 3 targets down. So 1, 2 or 3 targets: no problems. 4 or 5, then none reset. They raise but then fall down immediately.

The problem that I have is that, with the plunger all the way down and the coil all the way up, there is still some "slack". Any further suggestions?

#14 4 years ago

@rolf_martin_062. Here is a picture of the transformer. I think it looks like yours but please confirm. Thanks.

IMG_1588 (resized).JPGIMG_1588 (resized).JPG
#15 4 years ago

What do you mean by "slack"?

#16 4 years ago

When the coil is all the way forward, the plunger can still go down a little. So when the coil is activated, it does not move the targets right away. If that makes sense.

#17 4 years ago

Hi Combi4
thanks for Your picture in post-14. We see the bakelite adj-plug. See my JPG here - in the upper left corner we see the drawing of the primary side on a 110 / 220 Volt transformer - TWO separated windings of equal length and equal thickness - the W1 and the W2. Wires go to the socket of the adj-plug - to "1", "2", "3", "4" --- the socket "5" has no wire soldered-on.
The bakelite plug has four plugs - "A", "B", "C", "D" --- WHEN You look at the adj-plug in Your Surf Champ You will see "A connected to B" and "C connected to D".
We can plug-in leftbound, for 110VAC - "A into 1", "B into 2", "C into 3", "D into 4" and the "5" is empty. We can plug-in rightbound, for 220VAC - "A into 2", "B into 3", "C into 4", "D into 5" and the socket "1" is empty.
Look in the JPG, upper right corner - plugged-in for 220VAC - all electrons (220VAC) must travel along my "red lines" through both windings (W1 and W2). Look in the JPG, lower right corner - plugged-in for 110VAC - some electrons (110VAC) decide to travel along my "blue lines" - other electrons decide to travel along my "brown lines" - just 50 percent of the 110VAC electrons go "blue lines" and 50 percent of the 110VAC electrons go "brown lines".

Now comes the sensation - plugged for 220VAC the stuff acts as an "Voltage-Divider" --- plugged for 220VAC we can grab 110VAC in the middle (at my "M"). So all the stuff in the pin operated by 110VAC can operate (adj-plug plugged for 220VAC).

Combi4 - toggle-off Your pin, unplug the line cord (Safety Reasons) - look at the adj-plug - is it plugged-in rightbound (for 220VAC) - plug "D" is plugged in into socket "5" - AND socket "5" has no wire soldered-on. Please for thre moment - ONLY look and report. Greetings Rolf

0Orbit-Work-31 (resized).jpg0Orbit-Work-31 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/surfer-champs-drop-target-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.