Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0000223_alligator-clip-adapters_300 (resized).jpeg
b2a0dbcf51e18bf1e134c7f468706dad6715ad1c (resized).png
029cd574086d138214104a788d463707ec8b7b2e (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

Hi folks,

I have a beat up old Surfer that I have been working on for the better part of a year. See the history of it, and me here;
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first-em-surfer-newb-needs-help

I'm having an issue with the Ball Return Relay 'O', or possibly the Ball Return Switch. The game goes through the reset cycle fine. Bonus unit resets, score reels reset. However, when I place a ball in the outhole nothing happens.

- I have checked the continuity on the Ball Return Switch and it is making a good connection.
- If I manually actuate the 'O' relay the outhole kicker kicks whether there is a ball in the outhole or not.
- I've tightened the screws down on the 'O' relay and made sure the switches are making proper contact.
- I have the schematics, but this area is complicated and I could use some help narrowing down where to troubleshoot.

One thing I wanted to mention, as soon as the reset cycle completes I have power to the playfield solenoids. I find this odd because the ball needs to roll over the ball count switch before power should be activated to the PF, but because the ball never kicks into the shooter lane this switch should never be activated so I shouldn't have power (but I do).

#2 4 years ago

HowardR Just found this old thread where you highlight the path in red on the schematics.
I always find these helpful so thank you!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-surf-champ-1#post-4751678

I'll check out the ball return path again;
029cd574086d138214104a788d463707ec8b7b2e (resized).png029cd574086d138214104a788d463707ec8b7b2e (resized).png

Then I'll try looking at the K relay again. I actually did troubleshoot this entire path today but I got lost when tracing the BR-BLK wiring;
b2a0dbcf51e18bf1e134c7f468706dad6715ad1c (resized).pngb2a0dbcf51e18bf1e134c7f468706dad6715ad1c (resized).png

I'll go through this list of switches to check from fredsmythson as well;

Quoted from fredsmythson:

You'll need to look at the switches that provide power to the ball return solenoid. Looking at the portion of the schematic howardr posted, examine the following switches:
O relay switch - brown/red wire and orange/red wire (normally open [NO])
BX relay switch - orange/red wire and yellow/black wire (normally closed [NC])
Score motor switch 4C - yellow/black wire (normally open [NO])
Make sure theses switches are clean and adjusted properly.
If these switches look good, then you'll need to see if the NO switches in the circuit are closing when the ball enters the outhole. Is the O relay being energized when the ball is in the outhole?

My O relay is not energizing.

I need to get a good set of alligator clips for jumping connections. I don't know how you guys manage to get the clips in without touching an adjoining switch base. Everything is sooo tight.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

I don't know how you guys manage to get the clips in without touching an adjoining switch base. Everything is sooo tight.

Are your clips insulated?

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Are your clips insulated?

They look like this. The insulation is very stiff.
0000223_alligator-clip-adapters_300 (resized).jpeg0000223_alligator-clip-adapters_300 (resized).jpeg

While Googling for this image I noticed there are quite a few with more malleable insulation. I'll have to get some newer ones.

HowardR when you say diagnose the circuit with alligator clips are you just jumping the switches on the relay? For example, on the BALL RETURN section I posted above am I just putting one clip on either side of the O switch? The O is normally open, so clips would just close the switch but I need to test the circuit with the O open. Could you help me out with an example?

#5 4 years ago

The ball won't kick out until it completes resetting the bonus. Even though the bonus may have reset to zero, it's possible that your zero position switch on your bonus unit isn't closed properly. May be dirty or just not making contact. I would try jumping this switch. There's a lot more room in there for your jumper clips anyway, so it's a good one to try first.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from edednedy:

The ball won't kick out until it completes resetting the bonus. Even though the bonus may have reset to zero, it's possible that your zero position switch on your bonus unit isn't closed properly. May be dirty or just not making contact. I would try jumping this switch. There's a lot more room in there for your jumper clips anyway, so it's a good one to try first.

edednedy I will try this first thing tonight. Thanks for the suggestion!

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from edednedy:

edednedy My zero position bonus unit should be open according to the schematics (see above K relay). Maybe I'm misunderstanding the terminology you are using?

#8 4 years ago

Okay, so I managed to muck around and get this working.

I followed the OR-BLK wire path from my O relay to the switch on O. I stuck a slotted screwdriver in-between the switch contacts and gave it a little twist. No outhole kick. I traced the BRN-BLK wire from the other side of the O switch back to the Ax relay and repeated my slotted screwdriver twist. The outhold kicked.

I have lost count of how many times I've mucked around with my Ax but this was the issue. I removed the cotter pin and re-adjusted all the switches and gave them a bit of a sanding with some 400 grit. Replaced the Ax and hit the Replay Button. Perfect Reset Cycle. Ball kicked out into the shooter lane.

Thank you all for your help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hoover, AL
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/surfer-ball-won-t-kick-into-shooter-lane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.