• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).PNG
Capture1 (resized).PNG
0Surf-Champ-Work-37 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fifty.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Okay, onto the problem. Points are not counting. More specifically, the 500, and 5000. 10's are working, and 100's are working. It seems the 500 and 5000 are not.

The top rollovers should score 500 points each, and the drops should also score 500 points each with the entire bank giving you 5000. None of these are counting. Under the hood, the relays I'm looking at are;

D - 500 Point Relay
E - 500 Point & Add Bonus Relay
G - 5000 Points & Target Bank Relay

If I manually activate each of these relays the score motor begins to turn, but points are not counted on the score reels. The 500/5000 points were counting when I started working on this pin but now, nothing. I am guessing the problem is going to be common to all 3 relays.

The D relay seems to be the simplest. It connects to the left/right side rollovers, then to Motor 1C. If I manually activate the rollovers, the Score Motor turns, and I see D pull in. No points are added to the Score Reels.

The E relay is working the same. It connects to the top rollovers, drop targets, then to Motor 1C. If I manually activate the rollovers, or drops, the Score Motor turns and I see E pull in. No points are added to the Score Reels.

I don't see how the 500/5000 points are triggered on the Score Reels. I understand that it it triggering the 100's 5 times or 1000's 5 times, but I don't see how it is doing this. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Is that motor sw. clean and making solid contact?

Yes, I believe so. The score motor rotates and stops normally. I went through it with some 800 grit and cleaned the contacts with isopropyl (allowing plenty of time to evaporate).

#6 4 years ago

KS is the cleanest relay in the entire pin. It's spinning freely when I manually spin the spinner. The spinner counts 10/100 points every time it spins and the KS spins with it.

I'll take another look at the score motor. I was focused on 1C earlier. I'll look at 1A and give it a once over.

#8 4 years ago

1A and 1C look good, but I gave them some 800 grit sandpaper anyway and I have points counting again. So the 500/5000 are counting again. I am not sure what corrected the issue, or if it is solved permanently but for now I will consider it "fixed".

The points are pretty solid if I use my finger on a switch to make contact, but with a ball it is somewhat hit and miss. For example, the top rollovers count 500 when I place my finger on the switch and activate it manually, but with a ball it only adds 500 points to the score about 80% of the time. The contacts on the rollover switch looked decent enough. Gap was good, but I tightened it up anyway. I even gave it some 800 grit love, but still it still only works about 80%.

Could this still be related to the Score Motor? All of the top rollovers are the same. They trigger the 500 points about 8 out of 10 times.

Quoted from currieddog:

Check 2B, second sw. as well.

I will look at 2B tonight.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

What does it do the other 20% of the time?

I can hear the score motor turn under the PF, but no points are added to the score reels.

#11 4 years ago

If I fully hold down the rollover switch the score reels start to score and continue to score until I release the rollover switch.
If I fully press down the rollover quickly the score reels don't move but I can hear the score motor rotating.

It seems like a connection somewhere prefers a longer rollover switch hold in order to trigger the score reels.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

It sounds like the 1C score motor switch is doing it's job, but 2B (or in the circuitry) isn't doing it's job.
2B should be making from the beginning and opening after the 500/5,000 points have been scored..
I'd maybe recheck 2B score motor switch..

I'll take a look at 2B early tomorrow evening. My kids are in bed and it's tough to troubleshoot an EM without waking them up.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hoover, AL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fifty.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/surfer-500-5000-points-not-counting?tu=Fifty and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.